Udon Thani bar street will any survive virus closure

DJ54

With the closures of bars due to Covid-19 restrictions will any of the Bars on bar street (near the mall) survive?

Before the closure many bars looked on the edge of selling out and closing. I’ve not been up that way for 6 months.

Sime of the bars that seemed busy than others.. the owners seemed frustrated first the military control era closing

hours shortened and now another hurdle...

At New Year and the week or 2 afterwards, one of the 3 times annually that I stay in Udon, there seemed to be more farangs around, and not just in Soi Sampan (Bar Street?), than there have been for a couple of years. But what the future holds is anyone's guess!

Edited by SunsetT

Sadly the bars are now only frequented by the dregs of Udon Thani, druggies and a few sex tourists passing through.

Soi farang will soldier on but the rents are becoming unreasonable for the quieter bars.

Edited by twocatsmac
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Best thing they could do is move the bars to another area. There is a drive to make the Samphang area more family friendly. If the police simply force the bars to close, the trade will move underground. The market will set the course. However, with the long closure and the banning of foreigners coming to Thailand, who knows what kind of a market will be out there.? There is also no promise the bars will reopen in July and even if they do there may be a bag full of rules and restricted operting hours.

The German restaurant Zur Pfalz still does well and from the bars I only drop by at the Fun Bar as the owner always is a nice chap with his Mrs.

Soisampan is not much special and it will be interesting to see how many will reopening in Udon. Two farang bars near the Park have shut down and the bars was not sold but just just shutdown.

• Like 1

I have only ever made 2 over-night stops in Udon Thani and was glad to move on - awful, just like Pattaya and Patong! I preferred Nong Khai with its farang and Thai bars/restaurants, especially those along the Mekong promenade, but even here, nothing like back in the old days before the last coup when the resort was busy with ex-pats on visa runs.

On 6/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, Kadilo said:

It has been on its last legs for a while. 

The only bar/ restaurant that will continue to grow is the Brickhouse as it’s well run, does good food, foreign and Thai and sells a variety of beers so attracts all. 

The Sports Bar has had its day. Virtually empty most of the time and only the hardened bar stool Billy’s remain. 

The “Fun Bar” has a few Younger ladies working there so attracts a few mongers so may survive but overall I think the street as a drinking bar area will be dead. 

I had a mate go in there he spoke Thai the girls moved away from him , they want newbies 

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

We used to play chess in the Bookhouse. I heard it moved north to the top of Nong Bua area. And Chern Chim! Is that still on the go?

Both long gone! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Both long gone! 

Really!!

Shocked to say the least. The Bookhouse had loads of customers. When we played chess there on a Saturday the boss had to bring out extra chairs,

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Really!!

Shocked to say the least. The Bookhouse had loads of customers. When we played chess there on a Saturday the boss had to bring out extra chairs,

Must be going on for five years since they closed, then relocated then disappeared, custom went down and rent went up - or something along those lines!

Chern Chim was sold, lasted a year or two then closed down, they stocked a lot of good hard to get products, still nowhere as good here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Must be going on for five years since they closed, then relocated then disappeared, custom went down and rent went up - or something along those lines!

Chern Chim was sold, lasted a year or two then closed down, they stocked a lot of good hard to get products, still nowhere as good here.

I stopped playing chess at the Bookhouse because I took the Mrs, a couple of times, and she was not keen on all the Lao ladies that were eager to learn the game. Thought they were up to no good; hidden motives and the like. She would give me grief. Just not worth the agro'.

Too far to travel also. 70k for me. I miss those days though.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I stopped playing chess at the Bookhouse because I took the Mrs, a couple of times, and she was not keen on all the Lao ladies that were eager to learn the game. Thought they were up to no good; hidden motives and the like. She would give me grief. Just not worth the agro'.

Too far to travel also. 70k for me. I miss those days though.

Do you do everything your wife tells you?

• Like 1

Just now, NanLaew said:

You don't rate Cheese 2 Meet You then?

Not as highly as CC, CC meat was excellent quality - it was also - admittedly - a lot more expensive than C2M - but you get what you pay for, in fairness C2M seems to be improving stock etc as time goes on.

On 6/4/2020 at 1:25 AM, SunsetT said:

At New Year and the week or 2 afterwards, one of the 3 times annually that I stay in Udon, there seemed to be more farangs around, and not just in Soi Sampan (Bar Street?), than there have been for a couple of years. But what the future holds is anyone's guess!

How’s the Irish Clock going, I think it would survive, as to soi faluung some bars might close and reopen later with new tenants 

On 6/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, owl sees all said:

We used to play chess in the Bookhouse. I heard it moved north to the top of Nong Bua area. And Chern Chim! Is that still on the go?

I think the Bookhouse is now closed Owl. It looked like it last time I visited. 

On 6/14/2020 at 9:57 PM, kiwikeith said:

How’s the Irish Clock going, I think it would survive, as to soi faluung some bars might close and reopen later with new tenants 

Still going,  ew owner I believe. Looks dead most of the time. A lot of their customers now eat opposite at the Brickhouse 

On 6/14/2020 at 10:21 AM, peleid said:

For me I can't see the problem (but that is JMHO) of sitting in the bar buy a girl a drink and having a chat and say good night afterwards

Who said it was a problem?