June 2, 20206 yr With the closures of bars due to Covid-19 restrictions will any of the Bars on bar street (near the mall) survive? Before the closure many bars looked on the edge of selling out and closing. I’ve not been up that way for 6 months. Sime of the bars that seemed busy than others.. the owners seemed frustrated first the military control era closing hours shortened and now another hurdle...
June 3, 20206 yr Last time I was there (January) the area looked on its last legs anyway. So I think the answer is 'no'.
June 3, 20206 yr At New Year and the week or 2 afterwards, one of the 3 times annually that I stay in Udon, there seemed to be more farangs around, and not just in Soi Sampan (Bar Street?), than there have been for a couple of years. But what the future holds is anyone's guess! Edited June 3, 20206 yr by SunsetT
June 3, 20206 yr Popular Post I am ceertain that those of quality will survive, most notably the Sports Bar, Sampanthamit, opposite the Brick House, and the one a short distance I believe its named the Fun Bar!! Sports Bar is run extremely professionally, good food, pleasant staff, affable Owner and varied and friendly clientele. This is, of course, with the exception of Canadian Johnny. This man, with one too many lemonades under his belt, feigns a French accent and, on occasion, wanders up and down Soi Samphan wearing a Moose's head. More importantly, good luck to all you guys!
June 4, 20206 yr Popular Post It has been on its last legs for a while. The only bar/ restaurant that will continue to grow is the Brickhouse as it’s well run, does good food, foreign and Thai and sells a variety of beers so attracts all. The Sports Bar has had its day. Virtually empty most of the time and only the hardened bar stool Billy’s remain. The “Fun Bar” has a few Younger ladies working there so attracts a few mongers so may survive but overall I think the street as a drinking bar area will be dead.
June 12, 20206 yr Sadly the bars are now only frequented by the dregs of Udon Thani, druggies and a few sex tourists passing through. Soi farang will soldier on but the rents are becoming unreasonable for the quieter bars. Edited June 12, 20206 yr by twocatsmac
June 13, 20206 yr In early March before the lockdown some had no customers while others were quite busy. It will be only the ones with deep pockets that will survive.
June 14, 20206 yr I have never heard anyone talk of Soi Farang or Bar Street in Udon Thani. At a guess they might be Nutty Park and Soi Sampan (Samphanthamit). Please enlighten me.
June 14, 20206 yr Popular Post This would have to be one of the most uninviting bar areas in Thailand, located in a dirty, dusty & noisy street, the majority of the building should be demolished, which would take little effort! apart from grabbing a bite to eat at one of the few reasonable places to eat on occasion I very rarely venture down there, for people that enjoy "hanging" out down there I do wonder how they ended up with such incredibly low standards, I would rather sit in my car port endlessly chanting "hello, where you come from, what's your name" than spend a night frequenting the bars on this Soi! ???? "Home" must be pretty bleak, to wont to spend a night there!
June 14, 20206 yr Best thing they could do is move the bars to another area. There is a drive to make the Samphang area more family friendly. If the police simply force the bars to close, the trade will move underground. The market will set the course. However, with the long closure and the banning of foreigners coming to Thailand, who knows what kind of a market will be out there.? There is also no promise the bars will reopen in July and even if they do there may be a bag full of rules and restricted operting hours.
June 14, 20206 yr The German restaurant Zur Pfalz still does well and from the bars I only drop by at the Fun Bar as the owner always is a nice chap with his Mrs. Soisampan is not much special and it will be interesting to see how many will reopening in Udon. Two farang bars near the Park have shut down and the bars was not sold but just just shutdown.
June 14, 20206 yr Popular Post Rarely go down there except for an occasional farang breakfast. But each to there own. I prefer to watch the Thai world go by drinking and eating in the 3 Udon night markets.
June 14, 20206 yr For me I can't see the problem (but that is JMHO) of sitting in the bar buy a girl a drink and having a chat and say good night afterwards
June 14, 20206 yr I have only ever made 2 over-night stops in Udon Thani and was glad to move on - awful, just like Pattaya and Patong! I preferred Nong Khai with its farang and Thai bars/restaurants, especially those along the Mekong promenade, but even here, nothing like back in the old days before the last coup when the resort was busy with ex-pats on visa runs.
June 14, 20206 yr On 6/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, Kadilo said: It has been on its last legs for a while. The only bar/ restaurant that will continue to grow is the Brickhouse as it’s well run, does good food, foreign and Thai and sells a variety of beers so attracts all. The Sports Bar has had its day. Virtually empty most of the time and only the hardened bar stool Billy’s remain. The “Fun Bar” has a few Younger ladies working there so attracts a few mongers so may survive but overall I think the street as a drinking bar area will be dead. I had a mate go in there he spoke Thai the girls moved away from him , they want newbies
June 14, 20206 yr We used to play chess in the Bookhouse. I heard it moved north to the top of Nong Bua area. And Chern Chim! Is that still on the go?
June 14, 20206 yr 1 hour ago, owl sees all said: We used to play chess in the Bookhouse. I heard it moved north to the top of Nong Bua area. And Chern Chim! Is that still on the go? Both long gone!
June 14, 20206 yr 3 minutes ago, CGW said: Both long gone! Really!! Shocked to say the least. The Bookhouse had loads of customers. When we played chess there on a Saturday the boss had to bring out extra chairs,
June 14, 20206 yr 18 minutes ago, owl sees all said: Really!! Shocked to say the least. The Bookhouse had loads of customers. When we played chess there on a Saturday the boss had to bring out extra chairs, Must be going on for five years since they closed, then relocated then disappeared, custom went down and rent went up - or something along those lines! Chern Chim was sold, lasted a year or two then closed down, they stocked a lot of good hard to get products, still nowhere as good here.
June 14, 20206 yr 2 minutes ago, CGW said: Must be going on for five years since they closed, then relocated then disappeared, custom went down and rent went up - or something along those lines! Chern Chim was sold, lasted a year or two then closed down, they stocked a lot of good hard to get products, still nowhere as good here. I stopped playing chess at the Bookhouse because I took the Mrs, a couple of times, and she was not keen on all the Lao ladies that were eager to learn the game. Thought they were up to no good; hidden motives and the like. She would give me grief. Just not worth the agro'. Too far to travel also. 70k for me. I miss those days though.
June 14, 20206 yr 1 hour ago, owl sees all said: I stopped playing chess at the Bookhouse because I took the Mrs, a couple of times, and she was not keen on all the Lao ladies that were eager to learn the game. Thought they were up to no good; hidden motives and the like. She would give me grief. Just not worth the agro'. Too far to travel also. 70k for me. I miss those days though. Do you do everything your wife tells you?
June 14, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, CGW said: ... Chern Chim was sold, lasted a year or two then closed down, they stocked a lot of good hard to get products, still nowhere as good here. You don't rate Cheese 2 Meet You then?
June 14, 20206 yr Just now, NanLaew said: You don't rate Cheese 2 Meet You then? Not as highly as CC, CC meat was excellent quality - it was also - admittedly - a lot more expensive than C2M - but you get what you pay for, in fairness C2M seems to be improving stock etc as time goes on.
June 14, 20206 yr On 6/4/2020 at 1:25 AM, SunsetT said: At New Year and the week or 2 afterwards, one of the 3 times annually that I stay in Udon, there seemed to be more farangs around, and not just in Soi Sampan (Bar Street?), than there have been for a couple of years. But what the future holds is anyone's guess! How’s the Irish Clock going, I think it would survive, as to soi faluung some bars might close and reopen later with new tenants
June 16, 20206 yr On 6/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, owl sees all said: We used to play chess in the Bookhouse. I heard it moved north to the top of Nong Bua area. And Chern Chim! Is that still on the go? I think the Bookhouse is now closed Owl. It looked like it last time I visited.
June 16, 20206 yr On 6/14/2020 at 9:57 PM, kiwikeith said: How’s the Irish Clock going, I think it would survive, as to soi faluung some bars might close and reopen later with new tenants Still going, ew owner I believe. Looks dead most of the time. A lot of their customers now eat opposite at the Brickhouse
June 16, 20206 yr On 6/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, Ireland32 said: I had a mate go in there he spoke Thai the girls moved away from him , they want newbies Where?
June 18, 20206 yr On 6/14/2020 at 10:21 AM, peleid said: For me I can't see the problem (but that is JMHO) of sitting in the bar buy a girl a drink and having a chat and say good night afterwards Who said it was a problem?
Create an account or sign in to comment