Change From Retirement Visa To Working Visa

I am a German resident with retirement visa. Just renew it on December for another year.

An American company wants to employ me as an technical adviser. In order to legally pay me a salary, they want me to change my retirement visa to a working visa. The company will pay all expenses.

Here the letter from their attorney:

Procedures:

· Increasing capital registration with the Ministry of Commerce.

· Khun Helmut fly to abroad (i.e. Singapore/ Kualalumper) and inform the Immigration at departure that he desire to cancel his Retirement Visa and also cancel Re-Entry Permit Multiple (because retirement visa holder cannot apply for a work permit).

· When Khun Helmut come back to Bangkok, inform the Immigration at arrival that he desire a 30 days visa.

· CA change the visa from 30 days to NON-B 90 days (the same as Khun Paul’s last transaction).

· CA apply for his work permit.

· CA apply for his 1 year visa.

Question: Is it worth all the hassle?

Thanks

Helmut

If it is worth the hassle depends on what you will earn, I suppose.

But the procedure should be like this:

- capital registration etc

-apply for a work permit and receive wp3 receipt

- go abroad with wp3 receipt and apply for a non-B visa

-go back to labour and get your work permit

- apply for an extension of stay based on work

This is a simpler procedure, cost a bit less and in case you don't get a work permit you will still have your extension of stay based on retirement.

Concur with Mario.

The scenario the lawyer proposes has a bit of risks involved.

The changing to non B status is not easy to do based on employment, and you only have 9 days to get all paperwork in order.

Rather apply for work permit now, receive WP3, go abroad and get non immigrant B, after return work permit can be issued.

I was under the impression that in '07 (?) the rules changed to allow for the issuance of a Work Permit to the holder of a 'retirement' visa.

Regards

Edit Link to Thai Visa's own page on this. Note Step 2

No, there was a report from Sunbelt that they were able to do it for someone. But believe that peson didn't get a subsequent renewal.

Am not sure the labor office will accept the application if he is on a retirement extension of stay.

I also have my doubts about this.

It is my understanding that you can submit a WP application on any kind of permit to stay OTHER than an O-A visa or an extension based on retirement.

For the OP a 30 day stamp would do but as mentioned he has only nine days (change of visa status has to be applied for with at least 21 days remaining on the current permit to stay) to get all papers in order. A better solution would be to get a tourist visa since they are still free.

opalhort

Not wishing to be a pain, but might it not be wise to review and confirm [or deny] the existing very specific website text [page last updated April 2 2009]. I also note that currently the MFA site O-A visa page text states:-

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.
but as noted by Mario there was discussion of this 'having been done' as well as such an amendment being mooted [or even in place].

Regards

/Edit add MFA clarification [or not given websites reputation for accuracy and timeliness here]

Edited by A_Traveller