Car Visa

neilf

the border guys at danock could not be bothered to stamp and / or provide any paperwork when i recently crossed into thailand from malaysia

as i have all the car paperwork in my name and thai insurance and driving licence can i go to a border say cambodia and start the 3 month ' car visa ' running.

this is not carnet which is not used in thailand

"the border guys at danock could not be bothered to stamp and / or provide any paperwork when i recently crossed into thailand from malaysia

as i have all the car paperwork in my name and thai insurance and driving licence can i go to a border say cambodia and start the 3 month ' car visa ' running.

this is not carnet which is not used in thailand "

I would advise you against taking any vehicle into Cambodia.

Amen!

Edited by NADTATIDA1

I assume your car is not registered in Thailand and I further assume that you are referring to the "Temporary Import Permit". Normally, this permit is only valid for one month and you have to get extensions every month at a customs office. I have done this for my bike many times. However, at my last entry I got 6 months; I don't know why.

If you don't have this permit then I would just forget about it. Your car is already in the country illegally, so... Next time you leave into a country other than Malaysia you will most likely be asked for the permit. You will just have to explain what happened and hope for the best. Just plead ignorance.

Would you care to tell us why? I have met many travellers who took bikes and cars through and enjoyed their trip. Trying to enter from Laos, however, could be interesting, as we were asked for a customs permit we didn't have, followed by a bribe demand. Others were turned back there.

Cheers,

Peter.

I assume your car is not registered in Thailand and I further assume that you are referring to the "Temporary Import Permit". Normally, this permit is only valid for one month and you have to get extensions every month at a customs office. I have done this for my bike many times. However, at my last entry I got 6 months; I don't know why.

If you don't have this permit then I would just forget about it. Your car is already in the country illegally, so... Next time you leave into a country other than Malaysia you will most likely be asked for the permit. You will just have to explain what happened and hope for the best. Just plead ignorance.

Would you care to tell us why? I have met many travellers who took bikes and cars through and enjoyed their trip. Trying to enter from Laos, however, could be interesting, as we were asked for a customs permit we didn't have, followed by a bribe demand. Others were turned back there.

Cheers,

Peter.

Taking a car into Cambodia can be a lot more trouble than it is worth,especially if as the op says his car is in the country illegally!

I have been warned by the police and Thai people about taking any vehicles into CAMBODIA end of story,you must remember if your vehicle got stolen in Cambodia what chance have you of getting it back?? and i would like to hear what your insurance company would say?? also robberies on tourists or even hijackingings! do happen they are quite comman.

It just seems a lot of hassle when you can hire a driver to drive you to places cheaply enough anyway.

I already replied in his other thread, but it almost looks like he doesn't like the answers.

I think the OP has gotten himself into heaps of trouble.

He illegally imported a vehicle into Thailand, and likely is illegally in Thailand himself.

Holding a visa does not mean you are legal. A visa is issued by an embassy (ministry of foreign affairs) but it is immigration who will have to allow you into Thailand and stamp you in as per the type of visa you hold.

I very much doubt he can rectify this in Bangkok, I'm not sure how he would have to proceed.

Bringing in a vehicle over land needs a heap of paperwork, along with a cash or a bank guarantee to the value of how much it would cost to permanently import the vehicle.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...p/carImport.pdf

The OP never posted what visa he holds, apparently he didn't get his passport stamped by immigration officials when entering Thailand, so he himself would be illegally in country unless he has rectified that problem somehow.

The above post also includes the link to the customs website on the procedure for temporary vehicle imports. Same procedure as beddhist reports.

Having driven through that border post a couple of times, it is pretty easy just to drive into Thailand without going through immigration formailities.

While on the Malaysian side you drive up to the booth and they simply stamp your passports there and then, for the Thai side, you have to park the car, get out, line up with everyone else, then jump back in your car and drive over. We were never stopped when we were in the car on the Thai side.