Valium Bust Strands Kiwi Teen In Phuket

george

Valium bust strands Kiwi teen in Phuket

PHUKET TOWN: -- A teenager from New Zealander is stranded in Phuket after being arrested for possession of diazepam pills without a prescription.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was set to fly back to his current home in Australia on December 11.

But four days before he was due to leave, he was caught by Kathu Police in possession of a package of diazepam, better known under the trade name ‘Valium’.

The arrest meant he missed his flight – and the chance to spend Christmas with his family.

Now on bail, he is due to appear in court for the second time later this week.

According to Thailand’s Psychotropic Substances Act of 1974, possession of a ‘schedule IV’ drug such as diazepam without a prescription is illegal and punishable by up to one year in prison, a fine of 20,000 baht, or both.

But despite the law, drugs such as diazepam and alprazolam (trade name Xanax) are widely available at pharmacies in tourist centers such as Patong – with the tacit acceptance of some local authorities.

Ten milligram diazepam pills typically sell in Patong drug stores in packages of ten for 200 baht.

A high-ranking source in the Phuket Public Health Office (PPHO) admitted his department permitted pharmacies to sell the drugs, but only in "small" amounts.

“It is illegal to possess prescription drugs without a prescription, but in Phuket we’re not so strict as this is a tourist place,” he said. “We grant permission to pharmacies to sell the drugs, but they need to report to the PPHO first.”

There are around 250 pharmacies in Phuket, making it impossible for the PPHO to enforce regulations properly, he explained.

“We only have four or five staff members who work in this area,” he said. “But they have other jobs too – they can’t just run around chasing these people.”

One long-term expat resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said he had been buying these and other prescription medications in Thailand for over 20 years and had never had a problem finding them in Patong.

“I knew it was technically illegal, but never thought it could get me in trouble,” he said.

Asked about his force’s attitude to the prescription drug trade in Patong, Kathu Police Superintendent Grissak Songmoonnark Superintendent was emphatic.

“If you have these drugs in your possession without a prescription, the police have the right to arrest you,” he said.

“If you can show you have permission from a doctor to use the drugs, we’ll let you go. Otherwise, we have to send you to a court to let them judge,” he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ludicrious. It's illegal to have them, but it's 'quasi' legal to sell them!

This is one of the specific reasons I told my son when he comes from Australia to NOT bring any medicines unless I k now of them first, so that I can advise him accordingly.

The Aussy embassy in Bangkok were very helpful in regards to prescription medication as I'm sure the other embassies are.

Mind you I nearly fell over backwards when I asked the embassy about a certain medication for ADHD my son had been taking. The embassy comes back and says that it is a legal amphetamine derivative <deleted>!?:) (dexamphetamine) BUT with strictly controlled quantities coming into Thailand

Edited by Garry

Since when has a Thai national been charged withposession of this sort of "drug". Crazy place when its possible to buy the strongest anti biotics , painkillers and the valims, libriums and all related drugs over the counter.

Thailand doesnt deserve the tourists and the fact is when I tell potential tourists or even possible immigrants about the dangers of being a falang in the country they have second thoughts.

Edited by KKvampire

I fail to understand how this works. Someone can go into a pharmacy and buy a medication and then get arrested for having it, without the pharmacy getting into trouble.

I am also curious about the circumstances of his arrest. Was he at home? Was he at a disco? etc.

I fail to understand how this works. Someone can go into a pharmacy and buy a medication and then get arrested for having it, without the pharmacy getting into trouble.

I am also curious about the circumstances of his arrest. Was he at home? Was he at a disco? etc.

Don't think Valium is a disco drug

:)

It is the same of who ovestay his visa, go to the airport and pay 500 baht/day, but in the meantime could be catch by police on his way to the airport and throw in jail...

I don't like the acronym "TIT", but fits exactly for this topic.

This is ludicrious. It's illegal to have them, but it's 'quasi' legal to sell them!

This is one of the specific reasons I told my son when he comes from Australia to NOT bring any medicines unless I k now of them first, so that I can advise him accordingly.

The Aussy embassy in Bangkok were very helpful in regards to prescription medication as I'm sure the other embassies are.

Mind you I nearly fell over backwards when I asked the embassy about a certain medication for ADHD my son had been taking. The embassy comes back and says that it is a legal amphetamine derivative <deleted>!? :) (dexamphetamine) BUT with strictly controlled quantities coming into Thailand

I had the Same problem I have been on ADHD medication.. dexadrine for 5 years.. when i moved to Thialand i went to the hospital to fill get the new script.. the Doctor basicly laughed and told me it was illigal here

Arresting that teen was crazy stupid, and scary. Probably most all of us who live here own something that is a similar "violation". I guess they don't pay the police to THINK and/or there is a lot of potential money to be made on these bogus arrests. To those that think this kind of thing can never happen to you, I say, don't be so smug. Anything can happen here, and often does.

Edited by Jingthing

This kid comes to Thailand and disrespects the Thai people with his drug usage? Why didn't he stay at home if he wanted to abuse drugs? Thai government must keep a hard line on this type of trouble making by farang. I think he deserves a few months inside to sober up.

This kid comes to Thailand and disrespects the Thai people with his drug usage? Why didn't he stay at home if he wanted to abuse drugs? Thai government must keep a hard line on this type of trouble making by farang. I think he deserves a few months inside to sober up.

Valium, a mild medication bought at a pharmacy? You're joking right?

Don't you think the young man obviously thought it perfectly legal if he bought them over the counter then?

Adfd this to the fact6 even the most above board hosptials will load you up with drugs

and send you out the door with NOTHING resembling a prescription in your hand.

Unless a plastic bag with the hospital name on it qualifies.

As if these labels can't be ginned up easy enough.

Actually, valium is a "disco" drug for many. (Certainly not for me.) What is interesting for me is that the authorities often crack down (no pun intended) on the sale of xanax in Pattaya but not the sale valium. AND while the sale of valium and xanax to farong is generally allowed, the sale of same to the Thai is not allowed in Pattaya. The reason being that some Thai use these meds to sedate and rob sex customers.

You should go read the thread about the naked

Thai man who got slashed by a meat clever.

That persons would be crimes were much worse

that this Aussie who doubt the pills over the counter.

Perhaps you have a few words for the pharmacist who sold

him the pills? Thought not, never a bad word for a Thai who

is trying to make a quick buck from a tourist

:D

It isnt but I heard that some kids using it to bring the speed from amphetamines and other UPPERS down :D

btw, isnt Valium in Australia forbidden? It is in Germany and since 20years not easy to get without a narcotic prescription, in Thailand one can buy it in every pharmacy as far as I know.

Anyway, I personally think the Authoritys react a bit too harsh here, wish they check more on the cocaine and other drugdealers. Cocaine seems to become more and more popular in tourist destinations in Thailand :)

Alone No , Mixed with Alcool = terrible !

Valium, a mild medication bought at a pharmacy? You're joking right?

Obviously exaggerating but again mixed with alcool (and that's the way it's used in most cases also the reason why pharma sell it) you can die of it. Changing your mind into schizo.

Any medication can be abused or if used in the wrong way can kill you. Valium should be by scrip but in Thailand almost everything is available over the counter. It isn't exactly safety city here.

I won't do a poll here, but if I did I am sure a good percentage of people here have used valium for medical reasons at one time or another in their lives. I know I have. Getting arrested for such a boring "drug" would be a major league bummer.

Edited by Jingthing

My suggestion wasn't that it is a disco drug, my inquiry was about where and how he was caught. Did the police have some sort of tip off (from a pharmacy or someone with a grudge), did he get inadvertently caught in a drug shakedown at a disco? Perhaps speeding on a motorbike?

I am not questioning whether or not he should be charged, either. But if he walked into a pharmacy and 'legally' bought it, then I question why the police would cite him and not the pharmacy for selling it.

It also depends on how much he had. Enough for a relaxing plane ride home, or enough to sell and distribute.

I take it when I fly a long-haul flight, meaning over 10 hours. I get it from my Dr. He will give me 4 10 mg. pills--one for each way and the other two for good measure, I guess. I've never gotten the prescription, however, just the little bag with it written on, in Thai.

I hope there is more information on the circumstances. Nothing like a drug conviction to mess up your life.

The articles says A package which probably means ONE package. I don't know how many pills in one package, but hardly a commercial quantity. That said, I regularly purchase medications in Thailand for 2 or 3 month supplies for my own medical use, without a scrip. If someone takes valium for medical reasons and they are sold over the counter here, why can't they stock up?

Edited by Jingthing

Of course , Monseigneur !

Looking at some of your posts , you are really lucky that bromide is allowed here !

:D:D:)

Same here, I take it for flying and get them from Dr in the UK, normally get 10. This is just a money/keep this system oiled arrest.

If no laws were broken ever do ya think the police here would not arrest people ?

Edited by parryhandy

No, why not just go the whole hog......just shoot him and save the cost of the bowl of rice you get in a Thai jail.

Drug abuser? Do you know even what Diazapam is used for? It is a tranquiliser, but is used as a muscle relaxant for the control of severe/spasmodic back pain. The biggest abusers of this particular drug are mainly housewives...given bottles of the stuff by their respectable doctors. So do you reckon these drug addicts should be flung in a dungeon as well for a few months??

Wake up......and try to come into the modern world.

No, why not just go the whole hog......just shoot him and save the cost of the bowl of rice you get in a Thai jail.

Drug abuser? Do you know even what Diazapam is used for? It is a tranquiliser, but is used as a muscle relaxant for the control of severe/spasmodic back pain. The biggest abusers of this particular drug are mainly housewives...given bottles of the stuff by their respectable doctors. So do you reckon these drug addicts should be flung in a dungeon as well for a few months??

Wake up......and try to come into the modern world.

:):D :D