So Long Cowboy...

The Gentleman Scamp

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway there is such a thing as land ownership laws here, regardless of your heart-to-heart chats with the PM !

Land rights in Thailand - now that is a "load of cod". Who are your sources?

(SEAtramp: you read my mind, and most likely, the news everyday).

Edited by kat

Unless Thaksin told you himself this story is a load of cods.

Anyway there is such a thing as land ownership laws here, regardless of your heart-to-heart chats with the PM !

Try telling that to the EX bar owners of Soi 10.

756415-Travel_Picture-Bangkok.jpg

and also asoke corner not so long ago :o

i think cowboy had its hey days, its time for a change, instead of recycling old and tired concepts, they should come-up with something fresh, like q-bar, the new place sin at rajah's and put the girls in there :D

leave beerbars, tpv's and a gogo's in pattaya, lets make bangkok a real classy cosmopolian city for sophisticated people :D

Edited by kreon

Land rights in Thailand - now that is a "load of cod". Who are your sources?

If you have a legitimate Channot or NS 3 that is a robust legitimate title.

If your land 'title' is merely by virtue of the fact that you've squatted on someone else's land - then can't complain when you get chucked off for them to build a hotel

Well if it is true, which I doubt if Scampy heard from someone on a bus, then I'll be sorry to see it go. Patpong is too commercial and Nana is overated. If I'm on a night out with the boys then I always go to Cowboy. I like the fact that it's self contained and away from the main tourist areas. Saying that, if you look at it's positioning, right next to the MRT and BTS, that has to be prime land for development.

If it was to go, can't say I'd like to go the other girly bar areas. Hope it't here to stay.

All in all, sex tourism is losing it's edge. Cowboy first, Nana next, Patpong will be demolished in 2007.

Just for how long people are going to flog the dead horse? Brazil is far more promising land. Vietnam war is over, and so are "welcome to ###### our girls" signs. Thais will take care of their girls themsleves, thank you very much.

Even if he did hear it from someone away from the media,  If  this is true.  I'm actually happy about it.   I mean you have people  coming to these area's for the wrong reason's.   And I'm not talikng about picking up girls.   I know many ex-pats might not like it  but   this is all about money anyway.

Money always  talks.

Maybe people are fianlly tired about these places and want something  to change  no big loss in my  eyes.

So if thou, oh such whiter than white has NEVER BEEN THERE how come you are the one that is saying it's closure would be a good thing? I mean how would you KNOW??

You are right about one thing though "Money always talks"- which is the understatement of the century. Money talks everywhere matey.

True money talks everywhere :D and how do u know that I have never been there?? :D I have visited the place many years ago back in 1995 and 1996 It didn't do much for me. I go to Thailand to see Thailand not to fly thousands of miles to go to bars. Even you have to accept that there is more to Thailand than Soi Cowboy.

Well I have also spoken to many Thai people and they don't like these areas but they accept that these places exist. Even if Soi cowboy goes the way of the Dinosaur, Something else will pop up in another area. True??

Ah so you HAVE BEEN then, what did you do , skulk about with a frown clutching a flat Coke while all your mates had a great time?

Places like Cowboy are an institution in BK like it or not, which is one of the reasons they sent a film crew half way round the world to shoot a scene for the last Bridgette Jones Dairy films. If You Dont like it don't go.

Have a nice day Sir :o

Wow a film crew!!!! Ohhhhhhhh Boy!!!!! Imagine that?? :D I had a good time but it wasn't for me, Even if it is an institution in bangkok, That's great for the people who enjoy it. Man, You have one person that does not have the same viewpoint as you and you have a heart attack.

I have nothing against anyone who enjoy's the place but what would you do if it did indeed finally close down?? What could you do about it?? I think you could do nothing about it.

Good example though Bridgette Jones Diary will save the place in the end :D

One word we learned to start every sentence with when talking about subjects like this in Thaialand:

APPARENTLY

This free's Scamp from all responsibility and critisisim from the remark.

He neither said he belived it or tried to pass on bum information.

'Apparently' could translate as 'unreliable sources say'.

:o

Edited by medicinebox

It would hardly be a shock if they tore it all down would it?

Considering Bangkok is trying to clean up it's repuation for those kind of places, and the rental income of that area is nothing at all compared to the money that could be made from Condo developments on that prime area of real estate. They've already got rid of the rest of the bars in that area, makes sense that Soi Cowboy will go next.

It'll never happen. What are the owners going to do? Sell their properties to one owner at inflated prices so that the new owner can bulldoze the whole soi in the middle of the night with absolutely no loss of life but total loss of property?

:o

I read in a book about different people around BKK and one chapter devoted to Cowboy said that most of it is owned by the police and most of the rest by a group of Germans. Old book though...

Hey, wouldn't it be great if they tore it down and put a Subway, KFC, McD, and then topped it off with a Walmart??? Or hey why not get Sears and Target to come out over here too...

Na, then we might start feeling kinda force fed don'tcha think...urp!

Interesting to see some of the responses on my hypothesis, and the ones who have replied with their opinions on their views on SC are the ones I wanted.

I'm surprised at just how many members failed to see the opening word on my first post... APPARENTLY.

Was that not a clear enough indication that this was merely hearsay off some bloke I had chated to which prompted and inspired the post in the first place to get peoples view on the situation were it ever to be true?

A hypothesis is an assumption, something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation, why am I telling you this when you already know.

To the first flamer: Read future posts clearly.

To the other flamers: Same as above only don't jump on the bandwaggon, especially that of The Eye Of sodding Sauron - I've had better wit from the flamers in the Thong Lor Burger King. :o

So Long Cowboy..., Infamous soi to be demolished

perhaps the title confused them scamp? :o

or maybe it was just the fact that everybody loves a bit of the occaisional scampy bashing. :D

Edited by bkkmadness