Sunbirds, But Which Ones?

desi

I have a pair of Sunbirds nesting on my patio.

Here is the video:

The nest is to the left of my balcony door. They took over seashell chimes, covering half with a fabulous hanging nest.

They hop around three mok bushes I have for privacy, and chirp on and off during the day. Loud. And for long stretches.

I can take photos from the kitchen but they will fly away if I am out there.

From what I can tell, they are both the same colour - yellow and olive green.

Sooo...

1) Which one are they

2) Why all the noise when nesting?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by desi

Wow. That's a beautiful shot. I've been trying to take decent photos but the two keep going in and out of the mok. Auto focus attaches itself to the branch limbs. But when I put it on manual, I miss great shots like today when she went into the nest and I was not quick enough going from limbs to nest on manual.

Juvenile. That makes sense. Maybe they will come back next year grown up (I hear birds come back?)

I had just typed in 'with the plants I don't see getting a clear photo of the male (unless incredibly lucky)' when the male arrived and I took this video of his blue plumage -

Does anyone know why all the noise? I would think that predators will take advantage. It's like a huge alert saying, 'here's a nest with eggs!'

They are still out there. Chirping.

I'm going to miss them when they go.

Does anyone know why all the noise?

the bird is giving its alarm/contact call...

alarm - because it senses danger around it (or nest) and is giving a warning to others (or mate) to be on guard... this could be because it sees you, a cat, a snake, or whatever very close to or near it.

contact - it is simply trying to establish the location of other members of its flock or group (they will return the call)