Steaks For The Bbq

NanLaew

One for the barbecue and beef fans in Pattaya.

Who would you recommend in Pattaya for steaks for the barbecue? Are any of the butchers inside the regular places like Friendship, Tops or Foodland recommended? Doing a bit of a special for the expat workers this weekend and wanting to give them something that's not buffalo meat or old freezer burnt imported stuff.

If anyone can also recommend a good sausage or ribs for the barbecue, that would be a bonus.

Chicken we have covered!

Thanks,

Edited by NanLaew

Try the western whole sale meat company, their beef is local but well hung so tasty and there sausages are the best in town. Even though the name says wholesale they do sell to individuals. Check your PM for their web site

Friendship, Tops, Villa all sell the Thai/French beef. If you are lucky (and I mean lucky) then you might get some half decent meat.

Foodland has both Thai/French and imported steaks from Australia and New Zealand, they even have some great air chilled lamb chops. As for the steaks you can select the cut you want, as thin or as thick as you like. :)

Try the western whole sale meat company, their beef is local but well hung so tasty and there sausages are the best in town. Even though the name says wholesale they do sell to individuals. Check your PM for their web site

I went by there on Chaiyapruck road and they were closed, even though it was working hours. Any tips on when best to catch them when they're open?

I have found that Villa Market gets the best quality beef. Their steaks are not cheap but I seem to get what I pay for. They offer a local pen fed that I find better than the imported stuff which they also have available. I have bought beef many times at every food store in Pattaya and Villa IMO is far the best. Friendship seems to have stopped offering their local pen fed stuff and now offer only imported and what they simply refer to as Thai local. I assume the Thai local stuff is grazed and eats whatever it finds it is pretty tough and I have tried every tenderizing technique with no success.

I went by there on Chaiyapruck road and they were closed, even though it was working hours. Any tips on when best to catch them when they're open?

The door is actually up the side of the building, the shutters at the front are never opened.

Friendship, Tops, Villa all sell the Thai/French beef. If you are lucky (and I mean lucky) then you might get some half decent meat.

I don't know if you ever heard an old Shell oil commercial before: "oils ain't oils", well the same applies to beef. You get what you pay for. It is no different here than back in your home world. Good beef back at home (NZ and Oz for me) cost good bucks. It's the same here with an added import costs to cope with. There's no way around it.

You don't have to be lucky if you go for the more expensive meat at Villa. I have nothing but praise for their expensive aged steak lines. You can kill it in the frying pan and it's still tender. I have never been disappointed with any beef in the 500 baht plus range in Villa, Tops, Foodland or Carrefour.

Now if you need advice on where to find good cheap beef, I cannot help you. I don't buy cheap beef.

If someone finds good steak.

let us all know.

Its such a let down most of the time, so have gone for pork and chicken to save disopointment.

We need quality steak.

I suggest you read the thread. There have been many recommendations. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

I have mr Tropo

The only one that i have no information on is the, western whole sale meat company.

All the rest over rated and over priced for what you get.

Is that ok for you.

You never mentioned price, you just mentioned that you can't get good steak. That is just plain nonsense Mr Firestarter because good steak is very easy to find in Pattaya.

The price here is the price. It's imported, so what do you expect? If that is over priced for your budget, then too bad, you're just going to have to keep eating boot leather.

There's no point complaining that you can't get good steak when the reality is you're either too cheap or too broke to pay the price for what you want.

BTW, I just finished eating a cut of aged striploin from Villa. It cost 880 per kilo, but it was sensational.

Edited by tropo

I have mr Tropo

The only one that i have no information on is the, western whole sale meat company.

All the rest over rated and over priced for what you get.

Is that ok for you.

You never mentioned price, you just mentioned that you can't get good steak. That is just plain nonsense Mr Firestarter because good steak is very easy to find in Pattaya.

The price here is the price. It's imported, so what do you expect? If that is over priced for your budget, then too bad, you're just going to have to keep eating boot leather.

There's no point complaining that you can't get good steak when the reality is you're either too cheap or too broke to pay the price for what you want.

BTW, I just finished eating a cut of aged striploin from Villa. It cost 880 per kilo, but it was sensational.

Mr Tropo.

I would never pay tomuch for to little any place on the globe.

You can if you like, UP TO YOU. TIT.

Please keep yor rude remarks to yourself please in the future.

Thank you.

BTW what do you do for a living in Thiland Mr Tropo.

If any one get any info on this place please let us all know.

western whole sale meat company.

Thank you

hear theres a new makro opening soon on sukumvit

Well. actually the new Makro opened on 16-December. But, today was the first time we went over there to check it out. Bought a package of (3) frozen T-Bone steaks. At 220 baht/kilo, they came to a total price of 190 baht. Now there's a wicked good price for T-Bone steak! Concerned, cautious optimism now; I'll let you know the results of the taste test...

Thank you

What do you want to know....

Its located on soi Chaiyapruek 2, about 300m up from Sukhumvit on the right hand side, as previous posters have said you have to go round the side of the building to the door.

Always been very good in my opinion, bacon is brilliant, i tried his pork pies and cornish pasties last week also top notch!

Thank you

Its located on soi Chaiyapruek 2, about 300m up from Sukhumvit on the right hand side, as previous posters have said you have to go round the side of the building to the door.

Always been very good in my opinion, bacon is brilliant, i tried his pork pies and cornish pasties last week also top notch!

Sorry missed the bit about the door round the side.

Got side tracked some how!!!!!!

Will give it a go when, back in town next week, will let you know.

if steak is value for money.

Pies yorkies, Sausages Smiple Simons, Chicken pork Lotus.

Steak, will try Makro as well.

Thank you.

Thank you

Sorry missed the bit about the door round the side.

Got side tracked some how!!!!!!

Will give it a go when, back in town next week, will let you know.

if steak is value for money.

Pies yorkies, Sausages Smiple Simons, Chicken pork Lotus.

Steak, will try Makro as well.

Thank you.

I have tried sausages from all over town and reckon The Western Wholesale Cumberlands are by far the best available in town.

"... Does anyone know where I can get bulk potato salad in Pattaya?..."

Try this, it's excellent:

BACON POTATO SALAD:

1/2 kilo potatoes

5 strips crispy bacon, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, or more to taste

1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard, or more to taste

1 heaping tablespoon cider vinegar, or more to taste

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

4 green onions, chopped

2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh celery (optional)

1/2- 1 cup mature Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Boil the potatoes. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.

2. While the potatoes are boiling, fry the bacon until crisp. Then drain the bacon onto paper towels. Set aside 1 tablespoon bacon grease.

3. Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the dressing as desired. Set aside.

4. Dice the potatoes into half-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Stir in the warm bacon fat until combined. Fold in the dressing, bacon, green onions, thyme and parsley. Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning if desired. Cover and chill before serving.

I have been buying my steaks at Villa since they opened and have very good luck with both the T-Bone at 550 baht per kilo and the ribeye at 880baht per kilo..I am now buying my steaks and lamb..They have some great Aussie bone-in ribeye in the case not frozen for 750 per kilo..they have some steaks already cut weighing about 1 kilo....I have been cooking 1 for me and the Mrs. and it is just excellent...also in the case nex to these steaks is aussie lamb leg at 350 per kilo..a very good buy

Bulk potato salad and coleslaw at Villa Market..165 baht per kilo and excellent

Edited by ericg1953