Solicitations By Email From Tv

newtronbom

This is not a "troll" post! I am getting 3 to 5 email offers of sex or dating from Thai girls a week, who have found my email address here on TV. Anyone one else have this problem? They all say they saw my "profile" here and want to get in touch. This may sound flattering to some, but I am a bald old fart and happily married too. None of them have so far given any TV name, so are these just casual visitors? Apart from hiding my email adds here(which I don't want to do) is there any easy way round this? :)

You lucky ! Why that never happens to me ? :)

You have 2 email addresses clearly visable in your profile page, a yahoo.com and a live.com address. The girls are no real girls but probably there is a spamcompany or an automated spambot behind, easy for a spambot when logged in on TV to search the profiles of all members, a spambot recognises email addresses.

I also not understand why TV offers the option to show your email address, especially when they have a perfect PM (personal mail) service. They really should protect their members and themselves by removing this option, it's useless and invites professional spammers. Some forums are a rich source of email addresses.

If you do want people can reach you by mail some people add an 'x' (or whatever) before their email address like [email protected], followed by the text 'remove the 'x'. Spambots not understand this trick and will steal the address including the 'x' so making it unusable. Eventually you can use a free emailform service that forwards mail to you private email address, such services are offered by emailmeform.com and jotform.com. But guess you don't need this.

Have a nice day.

I notice that some members will use [at] instead of @ when posting an email address. Perhaps this gets around the spambot issue.

If the same thing is done by many people those who write the spam bot programs will take this into account and have the program automatically fix it.

I had this happen to me last week as well, got 5 identical emails on 5 different email accounts. All of them were the same content as what you mention, the "girl" saw my ad on classifieds.thaivisa.com and would like to talk to me...

The thing is though, that none of the 5 email addresses I received the mails on have had ads on thaivisa classifieds, and the link that should supposedly lead to classifieds.thaivisa.com was masked, so instead it was to some other expat site (can't remember which now).

So the mails had nothing to do with ladies (except for the wording), it was merely yet another way of trying to lure visitors to someones website. Had nothing to with thaivisa either, except they had chosen them as scapegoat for their scam mails.

Um, why would anyone show their personal email address on a publicly accessible website? You shouldn't be surprised at what you get if you do this.

It always amazes me at how trusting people are of others on the internet, especially corporations. If you have any personal information about yourself lying around in public, (this includes Facebook and other social websites), you should expect that it will be used. You wouldn't leave your car alone in a vacant lot over night, you know it would be targeted. Why do it on the net with your info?

Although a profile could be compiled about me from the posts I have on here, it would be very difficult to link it directly to the real-life me, unless you have had personal contact with me. The same goes for Facebook, Hi5, Twitter, etc.

As was said, there is a perfectly good PM service here, why do you need your email on your profile? You can always give it out to individuals after talking to them by PM.

I know that I'm paranoid, but I'm also one of the few people that I know who doesn't have a bunch of incriminating information come up about them on the net when you put my name into an internet person finder. I've been on the internet since 1990, but I've only left a very small trail behind me. Even my username only comes up with my Flickr site and this place, again that'll get you some general info, but nothing that connects directly to me. Sure, if someone wanted to, there are always ways to get personal info on anyone on the net, but being a little careful will keep the bots from spamming you, and keep those crazy, drunken photos of you away from potential employers, and significant others.

My suggestion is to always use fake names on your email addresses, and keep those aliases for any profile that you make on a website. If you must give out your email, use a secondary email that you don't need and don't mind if it fills with spam. Never give your real info on social networking sites, they harvest it and keep the info for years.

I also not understand why TV offers the option to show your email address, especially when they have a perfect PM (personal mail) service. They really should protect their members and themselves by removing this option, it's useless and invites professional spammers. Some forums are a rich source of email addresses.

Jasus.. would you like the forum to wipe yer bum for you also. !? It's an OPTION, nothing compulsory. Some people don't mind having their personal details all over the web.. those that do mind should be more careful .

totster :)