Ais Vision: 2100mhz 3g With Tot And Fiber To The Home!

infernalman7

This is from the AIS Vision press conference today.

AIS is going to share the 2100MHz 3G in Bangkok with TOT. That means AIS customers will be able to use 3G 2100MHz in Bangkok starting February 1st, 2010. (Right now AIS currently have 3G on 900MHz in Chonburi, Chiang Mai, and Hua-Hin.

In addition to this, AIS is going to launch FTTH networks (Fiber to the home internet) as wel.

Along with this, AIS is launching Nokia N900, new BlackBerry Bold, and their own App Store.

AIS reports that they have 100,000 BlackBerry customers on their network, and that 20% of internet traffic in Thailand is generated from AIS customers.

EDIT: AIS will also do home phones and ADSL as well due to no-dig law on 50 of Bangkok's streets.

Personally, I think the quality of their service may be questionable but surely it will spark the competition and in the end good for all of us customers.

Edited by infernalman7

Well with AIS not a singaporean company this will be interesting, especially the FTTH.

TOT managing 3G - I don't want to sound pessimistic but I can't imagine it ending in anything but a total disaster. Think 3G at GPRS or slower speeds, sort of like in Cambodia.

I can't help but think that TOT wanted this all along - it gets the only 3G license, and everyone else has to rent its network, which very neatly makes up for the concession revenue lost on 3G networks...

Well with AIS not a singaporean company this will be interesting, especially the FTTH.

TOT managing 3G - I don't want to sound pessimistic but I can't imagine it ending in anything but a total disaster. Think 3G at GPRS or slower speeds, sort of like in Cambodia.

I can't help but think that TOT wanted this all along - it gets the only 3G license, and everyone else has to rent its network, which very neatly makes up for the concession revenue lost on 3G networks...

TOT 3G right now is very fast and very reliable! But that doesn't mean it will be good. I highly doubt that once the real MASS of users roam on the network, will it be able to sustain the same bandwidth it can currently provide?

TOT 3G right now is very fast and very reliable! But that doesn't mean it will be good. I highly doubt that once the real MASS of users roam on the network, will it be able to sustain the same bandwidth it can currently provide?

I know but that's easy as long as nobody is using it. I figure making or keeping a 3G network fast under high usage is very difficult. See the major problems AT&T has keeping its 3G functional - not even very fast, just functioning under a barrage of iPhone users with unlimited plans. Anyway we'll see... witnessing the total cluelessness and naivete TOT applies to its DSL business, I just can't imagine it working. But who knows...

Very true, TOT's track record of their ADSL fiber backbone is amazingly bad. Implementation dragged on for years and doubt it is still not fully done and handed over to them by the vendors. One could only expect the same outcome from their 3G network expansion which is supplied by Huawei i believe.

It is fast and reliable now when there is no users but when the subscriber numbers grow it will crumble. They have around 550 cellsites in Bangkok, probably in basic low volume config and now you get the 7 megs down if you are the only user in any given cell. When there is two your speed drops, when there is 3 your speed keeps falling and so on...

First step is that their access network will not be able to handle the growing users. It takes time to acquire and lease suitable sites and then more time to construct the site and implement their equipment. They could go and collocate to AIS sites but i doubt AIS will allow that given the possibility to get their own licence at some point. This is true especially for indoor coverage for office buildings and malls where the usage is high in peak hours.

Second step when and if ever their access network can handle the users is their transmission fiber backbone which will need more capasity soon. Or maybe they do it in the cost of their ADSL customers. I would not be that surprised if they did.

Third they will hit the barrier of available frequencies like is the case with AT&T in the states.

If all mobile users in Thailand start to use their network as they are planning it is ongoing cycle and massive investment is needed together with expedited implementation of capasity to the network. Something i believe TOT is not capable doing. Add to the fact that they will be operating as government monopoly and we all know where that leads...

Saw the news in todays papers and it mentions subscribers are required to get new sim card with new number and then are able to use TOT 3G, AIS 3G at 900MHz and AIS 2G GPRS/EDGE.

If that is the case and i need to change my AIS number then forget it. Can't imagine the hassle resulting of changing my number since 10 years...

MJo, if you want to use your 3G on AIS right on Feb 1st, you have to get a new number.

Current AIS customers will be on the network 2 weeks after that. No need to get a new SIM.

That would be great, however the latest news are that TOT has not yet agreed to give AIS access to it's network...

Their internet pages are tot3g dot net where also coverage maps can be found.

^^ Bah. News and Press Release seems to keep changing. At the press conference I attended, the CEO said AIS will not earn a single baht of users who's roaming on TOT 3G. Weird, eh? But he did say 2 weeks from 1 Feb 2010 for TOT roaming. New SIMs start 1 Feb.