Booking Hotel Online In Thailand.

Felt 35

I usually book hotels in the region with Asia hotels.com or agoda.com but they unfortunately do not sell the hotel I look for , but directrooms.com do. Is there anyone with experience (hopefully good ) using direct rooms.com for hotel booking in Thailand.

i have a very bad experience with asiarooms dot com.

they confirmed my booking via email. but then failed to inform me that they couldnt really booked the hotel because their payment system is down. I really had a bad day at the hotel because they never actually received any bookng and insist me to pay a full rate for the hotel.

I complaint strongly to asiarooms dot com about this matter. And they just so rude and simply told me to go ahead file a complaint to them.

I wouldnt use their service ever.

Slightly off topic..apologies

....a word of warning generally....after reading the generally positive reviews on Asia rooms, booked the Grand Mercure at Fortune town (yes it is a bit our of the way) and got doubled dipped on the old Mastercard at check in.

The hotel denied any responsibility, claiming there was no chit generated from their side which meant I had to cancel the card to get rid of the extra charge (the bank said if the hotel could find the chit they could fax through a reversal) ..so lost use of the card (an emergency card costs $100 although the bank waived that)

point being, you never know whose hands the card goes through in online bookings..and it can be a pain

the other thing was the Asia rooms website made the point no fees were to be charged in advance however the full amount was charged on check in.

The manager on site was very helpful and spent some hours late at night tracking it all down..he gave me a copy of an email from Asia rooms which confirmed that the full amount was to be paid in full however this bore no relation to the conditions communicated to me..ie quite a duplicate little arrangement from Asia rooms (yes I kept screen snapshots via scrapbook..check it out)

who is to blame will never be known but from the hotel response it seems it was Asia rooms

and would NOT recommend anyone use them

perhaps using a credit/debit card linked to another account is the way to book online...just transfer through the amount of the booking and pay the balance in cash on check out

again apologies for going off topic

PS: THe fortune hotel had an cheap online deal for 1800 bht per night and must say with the subway at the door would place it well above the Novotel at Siam square for quality of rooms

Edited by Douggie Style

I always use Agoda -no problems so far and the seem to consistantly have the best rates so i haven't had any experience with direct rooms.

I shy away from asia rooms after booking and confirming a room with them and then being informed the room was not available a week before i was due to use the hotel. Stuffed me around and no apoligies..

I have also used Octopus which is good for hotels in Singapore and Hong Kong - I think they have a relationship with Singapore Air.

I always use Agoda -no problems so far and the seem to consistantly have the best rates so i haven't had any experience with direct rooms.

I shy away from asia rooms after booking and confirming a room with them and then being informed the room was not available a week before i was due to use the hotel. Stuffed me around and no apoligies..

I have also used Octopus which is good for hotels in Singapore and Hong Kong - I think they have a relationship with Singapore Air.

I was going to book with them as they looked cheapest..then I saw the booking charge and it was per night!. Went back to asiareservations.net service has always been good there.

Just a point for those that dont realise.....when an agent says there are no rooms available at a hotel that you particularly want to stay in then phone that hotel directly. There are always rooms available its just that the agents allocation of rooms has been booked up.

When I am booking a hotel I generally check agents prices and also phone direct to see how much the hotel is charging. If its the same price then I generally deal direct.

HL :)

Just a point for those that dont realise.....when an agent says there are no rooms available at a hotel that you particularly want to stay in then phone that hotel directly. There are always rooms available its just that the agents allocation of rooms has been booked up.

When I am booking a hotel I generally check agents prices and also phone direct to see how much the hotel is charging. If its the same price then I generally deal direct.

The inverse was for me, i ring the hotel i want to stay in, and they say it was fully book.

Looking around i find in agoda 2 set of rooms left for this hotel

• 3 weeks later...

The inverse was for me, i ring the hotel i want to stay in, and they say it was fully book.

Looking around i find in agoda 2 set of rooms left for this hotel

Yes, that is normal. Online booking companies will buy in advance a certain number of rooms at extremely cheap rate (hotels will sell at very cheap rate rather than keep them empty - same as airline companies about empty seats), then the online booking companies will resell them (with an extra charge - the displayed rate is attractive then the final quote displayed when you're just about to book is quite higher. But hey! You went through all that trouble to book and enter your credit card number and address... Easier to click OK than start from scratch on another website, right?).

From my experience:

- Walk in = you get totally rip-off

- Online booking with 3rd party = shop around, don't click on "Proceed" too easily...

- Direct booking with the hotel in advance = very competitive

Thing is to not be in a hurry...

My 2-baht...

We usually use Wotif or Rates to Go but this year we broke with tradition and used DirectRooms. This is the first time we've had to pay fully upfront but the prices were so good we couldn't resist.

Those network elves made me double post - it really wasn't user error.

Edited by thornybird

We usually use Wotif or Rates to Go but this year we broke with tradition and used DirectRooms. This is the first time we've had to pay fully upfront but the prices were so good we couldn't resist.

Yes, paying upfront will give you a better rate because you give your money right away, just make sure that your plans are strong or else it's nearly impossible to get your money back (even in case of Act of God).

Also, you also have to be careful about what you buy... Maybe Wotif shows a better rate than, let's say Asia Web Direct (by the way, Asia Web Direct is owned by Wotif - http://www.asiawebdirect.com/about-milestones.htm) but you have no breakfast included. Then maybe Agoda will have a higher advertized price, but it includes breaksfast and the booking fees are better. Just examples - I don't work for any of them - I just use them).

It's like shopping for a car. The same car at different dealers will have diferent prices based on many factors such as free options, extra, reputation, location, etc.

Happy shopping!

Allow me to ask some more questions regarding my OP.

Unfortunately do I got the message from directrooms that the particular hotel I was looking at was full for the actual period.

I also called the hotel and they also said full.

Then I maid a inquiry/booking through R24.org which as far as I understand only are a provider of information and booking between the customer and hotel.

They reply with available rooms and confirm my booking if I proceed with paying deposit.

What is R24.org and is it secure?

They have a claim on the bottom of their booking site which seems a bit dubious

……..is never responsible for a confirmation issued by the hotel or their services.

No claims of recourse can be assert to ……. and associated websites/partners

Thanks

:)