Tourists Protest As Beach Restaurant Is Torn Down By Government Officials

Rimmer

There was plenty of action on Womgamart Beach in Naklua on Tuesday Morning as a team of City Hall Officials arrived at a popular beach restaurant with the intention of demolishing the building. A court order had already been issued to the owner of the Pong Restaurant, Khun Winit aged 44 on 19th August 2008 and since then no further action had been taken. She assumed that the court order had been forgotten about, but she was wrong. On Tuesday the team of city workers arrived to pull down the building. Despite some resistance from Khun Winit and her family and a small protest by local foreign beachgoers who used the restaurant, the structure was torn down. It is believed that a local hotel had lodged the initial complaint about the restaurant being constructed on public land. We spoke with Khun Wittaya, who was in charge of the team of officials and he said that he was only following instructions to demolish the restaurant which has been at the beach for almost 20 years. He also confirmed that the City will assist Khun Winit with relocating her business. Khun Winit does not believe this and tells us her fight is far from over.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010-01-19

post-22250-1263892992_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1263893005_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1263893020_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1263893032_thumb.jpg

Typical. Pick on the small people while the 101 businesses on Walking Street continue unthreatened. They day they pull them down will be an interesting one.

By the way is this a slow news year in Pattaya or what? Hadly anything being reported in any of the local inernet media, and hence on TV.

Typical. Pick on the small people while the 101 businesses on Walking Street continue unthreatened. They day they pull them down will be an interesting one.

By the way is this a slow news year in Pattaya or what? Hadly anything being reported in any of the local inernet media, and hence on TV.

Yes, there really needs to be action on those bars and other businesses built on the beach/sea of Walking St, last year went in one for a drink, while in there I remembered something that was said just over a year ago after the Santika fire relating to these businesses, sure enough, noted there was little chance of escape, the only means of escape if a fire broke out near the front of the building would be a glass patio door at the rear, unfortunately one would need to push the band out the way, find something to throw through the glass door as it was padlocked and then jump in the sea hoping that I could swim clear before the next person jumped.

find something to throw through the glass door as it was padlocked and then jump in the sea hoping that I could swim clear before the next person jumped.

Then. just pray a speedboat isnt passing!

More seriously, I think those buildings will be demolished when the economic makeover of Pattaya is more advanced, when city officials and Soi 9 vested interests smell more loot in a massive redevelopment scheme than they get from the current uses down there, justifyifying it on a much-needed facelift for Patttaya, as it repositions itself (again) as a "World class" resort, as op[posed to a Whore-ld class" one.

find something to throw through the glass door as it was padlocked and then jump in the sea hoping that I could swim clear before the next person jumped.

Then. just pray a speedboat isnt passing!

More seriously, I think those buildings will be demolished when the economic makeover of Pattaya is more advanced, when city officials and Soi 9 vested interests smell more loot in a massive redevelopment scheme than they get from the current uses down there, justifyifying it on a much-needed facelift for Patttaya, as it repositions itself (again) as a "World class" resort, as op[posed to a Whore-ld class" one.

Yeah becoming World Class....in which discipline?

Pattaya was and is(?) World Class in one discipline and instead of promoting, maintaining and carefully regulating it, they dream of becoming a new Monte Carlo (HiSo). Dream on!

At the same time they start wondering where the regular Western Visitors are now in Hi Season....