Can I Come In On Visa Exempt When I Have A Tourist Visa?

I'm sure that I've seen this covered before but I couldn't find it on search. If I have an unused tourist visa, can I tell the immigration officer on arrival that I don't wish to use it yet as I'm only planning on staying 5-6 days but am comimg back before the use-by date of the tourist visa and staying the whole 60 days?

Edited by tygerstar

I had no problem doing this early last year, but according to many recent reports they're not doing it now. It could have something to do with the tourist visas being free now...of course it doesn't hurt to ask. Don't fill in your visa number on your arrival card and ask them.

You didn't say whether you're arriving at a land border or at the airport. There is zero chance they'll let you do it at a land border.

If you want to save your entry, go down to an immigration office and get a re-entry permit once you've arrived. It will preserve the full 60 days you'll get upon arrival. It will cost 1000 baht.

Most Visa's are activated from the time of issue. At least my tourist visa was. This is why it is important to get it as close to your scheduled travel date as possible to get the most out of it.

This would only apply to a double entry or a multiple entry visa and you are planning to time the last entry as late as possible to get maximum time in Thailand.

For a single entry visa it does not matter, as long as you enter Thailand before the expiry date you will get the full 60 days allowed.