Window Film To Reduce Heat Entering The Condo?

RickSee

I live in a high rise condo in BKK with large windows exposed to the sun, especially in the summer months. Are there films available that can be installed on the inside of the windows to significantly reduce the heat entering the building, preferably without reducing the clarity of the light (view)?

Since they are available for cars I assume you can contact one of those company's to do your windows in the condo.If you choose those reflective window film you will loose the least of clarity and in my opinion it is also the best option to reduce heat.Take a look at different manufacturers as the quality will differ also.

Are there films available that can be installed on the inside of the windows to significantly reduce the heat entering the building,

Yes, there are.

I had my condo windows done about six months ago.

Not only cooler, but, as you would expect, my electric bill for A/C use went down, too.

At first, I looked for auto window tinting.

That was a waste of time.

While I found auto-tint shops were willing, even eager, for the work, clearly, they had no idea how to approach it.

Observing their confusion when talking about the job, I doubted they even had a ladder.

They are trained to do small car windows, not large windows in a building.

Then I contacted a commercial company that did building windows.

They sent out a cute young woman in a smart business suit, carrying a fancy portfolio of samples, a measuring tape, and a prepared sales pitch.

As soon as I saw the saleswoman I expect the price to be very high, and it was.

Finally, I asked the manager of my condo building for advice.

He knew exactly who to call.

And because he -- Thai -- made the arrangements, rather than me -- white man -- the price was reasonable.

Within a few days the job was done by two technicians who obviously had a lot of experience putting film on large windows.

They had ladders and all the tools.

They were efficient and precise.

And they cleaned up neatly after finishing.

Bottom line:

Don't use an auto-tint shop.

Do ask your condo building manager to handle it.

I hope this is helpful.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Within a few days the job was done by two technicians who obviously had a lot of experience putting film on large windows.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Oneman,

I am living in the Chiangmai area. Could you give a hint , what company worked for you?

Regards

Werner

Thanks so much. Your response was very helpful and I will start with this approach.

Are there films available that can be installed on the inside of the windows to significantly reduce the heat entering the building,

Yes, there are.

I had my condo windows done about six months ago.

Not only cooler, but, as you would expect, my electric bill for A/C use went down, too.

At first, I looked for auto window tinting.

That was a waste of time.

While I found auto-tint shops were willing, even eager, for the work, clearly, they had no idea how to approach it.

Observing their confusion when talking about the job, I doubted they even had a ladder.

They are trained to do small car windows, not large windows in a building.

Then I contacted a commercial company that did building windows.

They sent out a cute young woman in a smart business suit, carrying a fancy portfolio of samples, a measuring tape, and a prepared sales pitch.

As soon as I saw the saleswoman I expect the price to be very high, and it was.

Finally, I asked the manager of my condo building for advice.

He knew exactly who to call.

And because he -- Thai -- made the arrangements, rather than me -- white man -- the price was reasonable.

Bottom line:

Don't use an auto-tint shop.

Do ask your condo building manager to handle it.

I hope this is helpful.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai