Living Will

purplefred

Hi, can someone tell me if it is necessary to make a living will by a lawyer here in Thailand? In other countries, as long as there are 2 witness, one can make a living will by themselves. I have one made a couple of years ago in Thai and English by a lawyer. Now I only need to make some little change and wonder if I can just revise it myself, get 2 friends as witness and that would be legal enough. Thanks for any advise.

There was a thread in the 'general' forum a few months ago that stated that there is a law being considered that would recognize living wills here in LOS. I asked my father's doctor about this and he was unaware of it and told me that Thai medical/legal/ethical practice prohibits 'pulling the plug' and recussitation is standard procedure in the hospital, however, under certain circumstances they will stop medication if requested to by a family member.

I would like to find out something definate on this as I may be faced with this with my 90 yr old father soon.

please inform us if you find anything.....

Family members (or sometimes friends if no family is here) can simply take the patient out of the hospital, effectively pulling the plug. I know of a case where this was done by friends when the hospital was reluctant to follow the living will. The patient died peacefully within an hour of arriving home.

Unfortunately not so good for my cat. The vet knew she was going soon but refused to put her down so she suffered for days at home.

Edited by Bill97

Unfortunately not so good for my cat. The vet knew she was going soon but refused to put her down so she suffered for days at home.

A Buddhist vet doesn't want to end a life prematurely.

I have never understood why if an animal is in pain or they have broken a limb people think it's humane to end their lives. We don't do it to humans, do we? If we did, we would call it monstrously evil to kill uncle Dave because he's broken his leg, or he's reached 70, or he has sciatica. :)

As I understand it currently a Living Will is not a valid document here in the LOS.

Fortunately, a new law has been drafted and is currently under consideration by the Government. Hopefully it will become law sometime this year.

Bill, are you sure about a family member having the right to pull a relative out of the hospital?? If so, then there is no need for a 'living will', as the relative will make the choice for the patient.

I'll bounce this off my father's dr when I see him next. My father's wishes are not to be recuscitated or put on machines to prolong life and has it on paper from the US, but it seems that it's worthless here......until they pass that law.

Bill, are you sure about a family member having the right to pull a relative out of the hospital?? If so, then there is no need for a 'living will', as the relative will make the choice for the patient.

I'll bounce this off my father's dr when I see him next. My father's wishes are not to be recuscitated or put on machines to prolong life and has it on paper from the US, but it seems that it's worthless here......until they pass that law.

"the right to" I do not know. I do however know of two cases, one family members brought a patient home. Second a farang with an handwritten equivalent of a living will was taken out of the hospital by friends, no family members available. Prior to that he was transferred between hospitals by friends. Both seemingly with the consent of the hospital and doctors, no confrontations and done during daylight.

It is hard to imagine that hospitals have some right to prohibit patients from leaving. If you must, just tell the hospital you are transferring the patient to a different hospital and then have the driver take them where ever you want.

In your case, a simple paper signed your father and witnessed, giving you authority for medical decisions should be enough.

I think Loaded has it right but not just for vets. Doctors do not want to pull the plug and feel responsible or risk getting bad Karma. Relieve them of their involvement and they are fine with it.

In witness hereof I have signed this document which has also been signed by

witnesses who have read and understand my wishes.

Declared by (your signature)……………………………………………………

Signature of witness (1) ………………………………………………………...

Name: (Print) .……………………………………………………….

Signature of witness (2)…………………………………………………………..

Name: (Print) ……………………………………………………………………………

Dated: …………………………………………..

Note: refer to the Thai National Health Act Art 12 Part 1 dated 20th March 2550 (2007)

I am led to understand that this is now legal.