Woman Injured After Falling Onto Bangkok Skytrain Tracks

george

I totally agree with the comment about adopting the MRT safety doors. BTS should have implemeted this from day one, those guards are a total waste of time, are bored in their job and really just a nuisance. They were not able to stop this woman falling only a properly built safety system can do that.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being Thai, it seems odd she was not aware of the dangers of the "chan korn" principle...aka survival of the fittest [or most aggressive]
And the person responsible for this? Vaporized?

Ever learn to b considerate rather than thinking of self interest ? If the person who fell were our mother, sister or wife, will we stay want to follow "chan kom" principle ?

So we have a subscriber to the totem-pole view of the universe. How quaint. And really, whether you are happy about it or not matters not a hoot. :)

Hmmm, whichever way you interpret it, it is almost correct...she was ushed...could be rushed, hushed, ushered...anyway, whatever, she made it to hospital despite the fractured English
hit by other skytrain passenger

during the rush hours

was ushed

was waiting for riding the train

other passenger scrambled for accessing the train

The economy must be pretty bad if newspapers have fired all their editors.

so happy to have a spelling expert on board, you must be really high on the totem pole to criticize others

I use the train everyday, and the way Thai's just push pass you to make sure they get on before you, this kind of thing was always going to happen at some point!

Thai's are just soo ignorant at times! No manners, whatsoever!

Hope she recovers soon!!

And maybe the person who "pusshed" her was not a Thai. And maybe the person who "pushed" her was Thai but got "pushed" by somebody else first and maybe that somebody else was not a Thai but a farang or a Indian or an African or whatever.

Get the data if you can, before blaming Thais for being this and being that.

I agree, it seems some people here are very quick to blame Thai's, but I have found Thai people to be very courteous and nice people overall, so much more so than the red necks in Texas where I come from. So I wish there was not so much Thai bashing here. The BTS needs to fix the problem either by using sliding walls like the MRT or some other way...

I use the train everyday, and the way Thai's just push pass you to make sure they get on before you, this kind of thing was always going to happen at some point!

Hope she recovers soon!!

I agree. My experience has been this also. Pushing/shoving/inconsideration for other i.e. like a herd of buffalo. At times it's a challenge exiting the train, bus,elevator etc. b/c the ???? herd does not realize or care that other individuals are wanting to exit. Is this poor upbringing? Or just a general lack of concern for other - oh with the exception of their family/boss. And people constantly bump into others who might want to "share" the same sidewalk etc. GEEZE.

Keoki

I make sure When Exiting the sky train if someone is standing on the "Exit" section of the door trying to push in I am in there way I make a point of forcing them to get out of the way.

I have seen these people try to push past mothers with prams to get a seat.

To witch I grabbed them and ripped them out of the seat to make way for the mother.

to witch I was patted on the back by a Thai business man beside me.

If they want to act like Animals I will too.

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

How long have you been here mate? 2 weeks?? Time will see you change your opinion on that especially in bkk.

mmmm been here a lot longer than 2 weeks even years. I find thais painstakingly slow and courteous when shuffling onto a crowded skytrain. Actually never experienced thais pushing anywhere. They consider it very rude. This is not china, japan, or singapore. In fact to call Thais "no manners" is laughable. Their whole culture is based on courtesy and saving face. But then again this is Thai(bashing)Visa where you can safely insult your host country (because you are only a guest here) from the safe anonimity of an expat webforum. Who says the lady was not pushed by a farang? Let me say it first....another nail in the coffin.....

I'm not Thai and I agree about Thai society are based on politeness and mannerism. Although each culture have its own idea of polite and manners. I first realises that when I learn Thai language. Now what society teaches and what each person choose to embrace is a different thing. Although supposely Japanese are even more polite then your polite Chiang Mai Thai, but yet crowded train is crowded train. Everybody here in this forum are correct with their saying because it is each person's own view and interpretation of what they see and witness.

Edited by tonyrx7

Wishing a full and speedy recovery to the lady.

Thais can be a little ignorant-ish at times when it comes to elevators and other doors, escalators (quick bracket - a woman rushed to get in front of me at the escalator and stopped like 2 centimeters in front of me- we were the only ones in the whole area, hehe). But generally speaking, Thais aren't worse than others, I just got back from Singapore where 95% of all passengers push in before anyone gets out. Definitely worse.

Singapore train users are much more rude and aggresive than here, particularly in regard to blocking the centre section of the platform opposite the doors supposedly for departing passengers to use.

I noticed a few weeks back, there are now huge posters on some of the stations, requesting boarding passengers to adhere to this what should be common sense rule.

yes, in thailand they mostly actually queue nowadays anyway, at least during non-rush hours. but there are sometime people standing smack in the middle of the door closing the way for exiting passengers. my receipt for these people: when exiting the train, charge straight at them - they will retreat very quickly and fade to the left or right side of he door. of course you have to look first WHO is standing in your way :) makes me maybe the rude farang, but i do this only against the occasional rude thai...

Hope she recovers soon!!

I agree. My experience has been this also. Pushing/shoving/inconsideration for other i.e. like a herd of buffalo. At times it's a challenge exiting the train, bus,elevator etc. b/c the ???? herd does not realize or care that other individuals are wanting to exit. Is this poor upbringing? Or just a general lack of concern for other - oh with the exception of their family/boss. And people constantly bump into others who might want to "share" the same sidewalk etc. GEEZE.

Keoki

I make sure When Exiting the sky train if someone is standing on the "Exit" section of the door trying to push in I am in there way I make a point of forcing them to get out of the way.

I have seen these people try to push past mothers with prams to get a seat.

To witch I grabbed them and ripped them out of the seat to make way for the mother.

to witch I was patted on the back by a Thai business man beside me.

If they want to act like Animals I will too.

I find that I am quite able to get off the BTS without pushing people. I'm fairly large but I manage to weave and squeeze my way through even in the exits. Hmmm perhaps the Thai business man was not giving you a congratulatory pat on the back, but a reminder to be calm? And I have to wonder - grabbing someone and ripping them from their seat?

Edited by granuaile

I've lived in quite a few places and overall I'd rank the level of politeness and overall adherence to rules on the BTS to be quite high. And certainly the crime factor is non-existant.

In China by comparison during peak times it's an absolute free-for-all with shoving, elbowing, and cutting in front of people being par for the course. Yes, the person who just elbowed you in the gonads and burped into your navel is that elderly grandmother holding the shopping bags- and she's about to shove you out of the way as she makes a break for the train. After having lived in China for a while and visiting Thailand again I was absolutely amazed when a Thai person held an elevator door open and waited for me. In China the MO is to hit the door close button as fast as humanly possible and then make a dour face at you if you manage to insert an appendage between the closing doors to force them open again.

Then there's Japan. At peak times on the Tokyo Saikyo-sen people are literally shoved in to the trains by assistants wearing white gloves. What amazed me is that people volunteer themselves for this- you'll see a full train and someone will run up, inserting a single hand and foot into the train. Then an assistant will come and push and push as the doors try to close until the person winds up inside wedged tightly against the glass looking something like a bug splat on a car windshield. Inside the train it's so tight that if you arms are down they stay down, if they're up they stay up. When the train moves the weight shifts so everyone hops to the back two steps, then forward one step, and sways back again while pretending not to look at the person whose ear is 1cm way from your nose. And then there are the elderly businessmen gropers, or chikan, which necessitated female-only train carriages.

So all in all I'd say the BTS ain't too bad.

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

From where I am you would be pushed away brutally and glanced at if you tried to board a train before others get off, as one should be. Here one has to fight their way out with the flood of on-comers having no or very little clue it seems that they behavior slows down both the exiting and entering process, as the doorways get blocked.

I was shocked when I first encountered it some 9 years ago here and it still hasn't improved.

Much like the traffic behavior with cars.

Edited by TAWP

Hope she recovers soon!!

Well, the buses are the same, but have you ever seen what happens at a Japanese commuter train? The little old ladies are the most dangerous! And the American (New York) subway during rush hour is horrendous. I haven't experienced some of the other American systems, like the Washington, D.C., Metro or the San Francisco BART, but I gather they're the same. Don't know what country you're from, but I'll bet your countrymen could take lessons on manners from most Thais.

I hope the woman recovers quickly.

The one thing that really bothers me about the Skytrain and MRT users is that most enter the train and (if there are no empty seats) just stop right there, bunching up at the doors while the middle of the carriages are mostly empty.

You guys who think its a Thai thing to push onto a train ought to try NYC subways- the BTS is orderly and polite in comparison. As a couple of people mentioned the answer is management adding cars to the trains during rush hour. Before there is a fatality. Surprised they haven't blamed it on the security guard.

I moved from Manhattan to Bangkok and I call bullshit. Most Thais appear to have no idea of how to enter a train, and I often just walked tits-first into the ignorant bints who wouldn't let people OFF the train before they tried to get ON. And don't get me started about stopping for a nasal exploration at the top or bottom of an escalator.... I hope the lady recovers fully and quickly.

I rode the subway for a couple of years in NYC, and I call BS also. :)

The BTS has had a rather long, trouble free run. I've lived in a lot of countries and getting on and off mass transit is never a fun or easy thing. Some places are worse, but none are good. After all let's remember there are up to a couple of hundred people trying to get on, an equal number getting off and it all has to be done in a very limited amount of time. It has the decorum of refugees fleeing a bombing. It goes with the territory, I guess.

Hope she recovers soon!!

Are you kidding?

I think the Thais are pretty polite and well behaved generaly. Look at the way they line up at Siam Sq. to get on the train. You wouldn't find that in many other countries. I find riding the sky train a pleasant experience most of the time. Even when it's very crowded people are generaly polite.

Accidents like this happen occasionaly.

Dont mix the Skytrain with subways. Most of the subways have security doors these days. Cant remember if the Vancouver (CAN) Skytrain has security doors or not.

Bangkok Skytrain hasn't. Thats the danger. Some cars should be added to cope with the increasing passengers.

These trains are running since 10years and it became a mess and very inconvenient to ride. Try out Siam at 5pm....

No the VAncouver ( CAN) Skytrain does not have security doors -- but then it is a very different system -- it is the original SNC-Lavalin system which was started in BKK by BERTS and abandoned in 1992 after construction had started.

The Vancouver system is fully automated/computerized with no drivers or conductors -- and carriage capacity is automatically added as needed -- seems the solution to the problem !!

MORE CAPACITY !

Just as a polite reminder to all posters, please remember the Forum rules you all agreed to when you joined the forums, especially the item highlighted below.
8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

I'm sure we can continue this discussion keeping in mind the rules, Thanks :)

Thanks Wolfie - generalisation is the cousin of slander :D

Specifically, however, there are substantial numbers of khon Thai who are in too much in a hurry to travel A to B without focussing on social niceties e.g. queueing and deferring their rush onto transport to allow elderly, young or lady passengers to embark before said khun Thai - fair point?

regards, Brewsta

Just as a polite reminder to all posters, please remember the Forum rules you all agreed to when you joined the forums, especially the item highlighted below.
8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

I'm sure we can continue this discussion keeping in mind the rules, Thanks :)

Thanks Wolfie - generalisation is the cousin of slander :D

Specifically, however, there are substantial numbers of khon Thai who are in too much in a hurry to travel A to B without focussing on social niceties e.g. queueing and deferring their rush onto transport to allow elderly, young or lady passengers to embark before said khun Thai - fair point?

regards, Brewsta

...and yes it is worldwide trend (...just ask my Mum in UK!) :D

Great joke got anymore :):D

I believe the safety design of this has been flawed from day one. I was always surprised why they don't have safety railings at each station with automatic doors that line up with the doors on the cars and only open once the train has stopped and its door opened. There everyone is behind the fence and cant be pushed down onto the tracks. I have only been on the skytrain a few times but each time I was always thinking why this is completely open, Im surprised it has taken this long for something like this to happen.

I do hope the girl makes a full recovery.

Agree whole heartedly, i also find the BTS pushers to be frustrating and sometimes very rude... but some peoples statements have gone beyond having a moan and are simply 'dam_n right insulting' - hence the public warning and call for calm :) I'm not going to name and shame, the offending posts have been removed already. :D

Dont mix the Skytrain with subways. Most of the subways have security doors these days. Cant remember if the Vancouver (CAN) Skytrain has security doors or not.

Bangkok Skytrain hasn't. Thats the danger. Some cars should be added to cope with the increasing passengers.

These trains are running since 10years and it became a mess and very inconvenient to ride. Try out Siam at 5pm....

No the VAncouver ( CAN) Skytrain does not have security doors -- but then it is a very different system -- it is the original SNC-Lavalin system which was started in BKK by BERTS and abandoned in 1992 after construction had started.

The Vancouver system is fully automated/computerized with no drivers or conductors -- and carriage capacity is automatically added as needed -- seems the solution to the problem !!

MORE CAPACITY !

I'm from Vancouver and Skytrain is the sh*ttest system ever! It's poorly built and has minimal seats and cabin space usage is awful to boot. It also breaks down a lot! No turn style so people cheat and what is their solution? Hire expensive union security guards to chase after free loaders..I'm so glad I'm no longer living there even if I miss my family back home.

You're going to find that anywhere in the world people get crowded-into intolerable situations then it only takes one or two inconsiderate types get more around them irritated...

No human being likes to be put into a situation where they are cramped-up or in and no easy way out causing over-stressing of some and it's the "me or them syndrome" onset begins ... that's the human condition, pure and simple.

"Thais", as a blanket statement in this context about them as a people, could be said about any crowded society in any city in any country 'round the world...frankly when I first got her and experienced their driving habits I thought that these "people" are seriously whacked, but then quickly realized this is their country, their culture and their habits and sat back and watched simply as entertainment...

It's up to YOU [me] to adapt or go someplace else (back home?) if you don't like it ...

Personally I like the chaos where I tend go but like always aware of the surroundings as much as possible finding Karma usually always prevails, good or bad . . .

MaiThaiMai

:):D:D

Edited by MaiThaiMai

Yeah I'm from Montreal and the subway there doesn't have any protective doors. But it's also been there for 40 years or so, so there is now a general etiquette of getting on and off.

My suggestion for the BTS...

Add more cars during rush hours. I mean at least 3 more. Also, instead of stopping right at the end of the station, stop in place so that there is an entrance right in line with the top of stairs. Makes things much faster. Obviously where I'm from isn't as crowded as Bangkok, so I would strongly consider adding safety doors like those on the MRT.

Another thing I've noticed since the BTS opened, was that when people stepped past that yellow line, guards would instantly blow a whistle at you. However during rush hour there's too many people for the 1 or 2 guards at each stop to keep track of. Hire more guards... Make them stand at certain points along the platform, and have them blow whistles when people try to rush in before everyone has exited.

I agree with the posters comments that Thai's are generally ignorant and have no manners, this is based on 5 years of riding the skytrain daily. If you don't believe this try getting on the skytrain at On nut at 7.30am calling them cattle is an insult to cattle.

This appears to have turned into another Thai bashing thread. I feel sorry for any newbs that come to TV for info on Thailand only to be subjected to this nonsense. Thankfully there are plenty of respectful posters here that offer great insights.

Agree whole heartedly, i also find the BTS pushers to be frustrating and sometimes very rude... but some peoples statements have gone beyond having a moan and are simply 'dam_n right insulting' - hence the public warning and call for calm :D I'm not going to name and shame, the offending posts have been removed already. :D

Wolfie, I postulate that, very often, frustration & impotence of ability of 'foreign passengers' on the TV Forum Locomotor to change 'Thailands X, Y & Z.....', degenerates into insulting comments. :) ?

Same old, same old.

regards from a tranquil Chiangmai,

Brewsta

Agree whole heartedly, i also find the BTS pushers to be frustrating and sometimes very rude... but some peoples statements have gone beyond having a moan and are simply 'dam_n right insulting' - hence the public warning and call for calm :D I'm not going to name and shame, the offending posts have been removed already. :D

Wolfie, I postulate that, very often, frustration & impotence of ability of 'foreign passengers' on the TV Forum Locomotor to change 'Thailands X, Y & Z.....', degenerates into insulting comments. :) ?

Same old, same old.

regards from a tranquil Chiangmai,

Brewsta

Love LOS, warts and all....... 11 years into my 'life' sentence here. Brewsta