Large Size Passengers To Pay For 2 Seats

garyh

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?i...766&rss=yes

Obese people who are unable to squeeze into a single plane seat will have to pay nearly double to fly with Air France-KLM in future, the company said Tuesday.

Extra-large flyers will have to pay 75 percent of the cost of a second seat (the full price excluding tax and surcharges) on top of the full price for the first, spokeswoman Monique Matze told AFP, saying the decision was taken for "safety" reasons.

"We have to make sure that the backrest can move freely up and down and that all passengers are securely fastened with a safety belt," said Matze.

People who cannot fit into a single seat are fastened by slotting the belt tip of one seat into the plug of the next -- stretching over both seats.

By paying for both, the overweight passenger will be assured that two seats will be available next to each other. They will however get their money back on flights that are not fully booked, said Matze.

The new measure will apply for people who book their tickets from February 1 for all flights from April 1 this year.

The average plane seat is 43 centimetres (about 17 inches) wide -- 44 centimetres for long haul flights.

Why not just charge us all by mass, like they do for baggage? They can always refit a few rows of seats for anyone too wide to squeeze into 43cm, but it's the mass of the cargo that costs fuel isn't it? Some people are likely to be more dense than others, isn't that true?

:)

About time , not that obese people are not wonderful human beings , it just sucks to have to sit next to a sweaty heavy breathing pig.

Some skinny ones really need a bath too, spent one trip sitting across the isle from one like this would hate to have been in the next seat.

I wonder how they are going to administer this. If you book on line will you be expected to 'fess up to your waistline or will they have a guage at check in and if you don't fit you have to stump up the extra dosh? If you lie on the booking and/or don't fit the guage what happens if the flight is fully booked? Do they bump the fatty or one of the regular/skinny pax or do they make chubby chops upgrade himself to business? Also would the girth gauge apply to business and first class as well as cattle?

The total weight would work as you'd be assigned a weight allowance when you book then you know how much baggage you will be allowed however this doesn't get over the tight squeeze in the seats.

Interesting times, but I'm not surprised in this ever more vindictive world.

I wonder how they are going to administer this. If you book on line will you be expected to 'fess up to your waistline or will they have a guage at check in and if you don't fit you have to stump up the extra dosh? If you lie on the booking and/or don't fit the guage what happens if the flight is fully booked? Do they bump the fatty or one of the regular/skinny pax or do they make chubby chops upgrade himself to business? Also would the girth gauge apply to business and first class as well as cattle?

The total weight would work as you'd be assigned a weight allowance when you book then you know how much baggage you will be allowed however this doesn't get over the tight squeeze in the seats.

good points!

what happens if you turn up and they find you dont fit? in fact what constitutes a "fit" as all the info is qualatative in nature as far as i can see.

other question to follow once i have thought a bit about things that may be of interest to those who selfishly like to have a go at groups such as the fat etc

When someone is made to feel uncomfortable because an oversized person is taking up a lot of the space that a regular passenger paid for, who is being selfish? If the person has a disability that causes the problem it's one thing, but if it's just someone who eats too much and doesn't exercise then why should other passengers be caused discomfort because of choices the overweight passengers themselves made?

It would simply be a matter of stepping on the scales at check in. Anything xs of a certain weight, has to pay extra per kilo. Same as luggage. Problem occurs with over and under booking on flights with most bookings made online doesn't seem like a workable plan.

I reckon the airlines that don't have these 'measures' in place will be the winners.

fair enough for the skinny passengers, say 50kg, who pay the same fare as 150 or 200kg ones.

I would think this will soon catch up with the other airlines, incliding uk and usa. There is a chance, that fares will drop slighly as well

The bottom line is that I pay for a seat and shouldn't have to share my seat with an obese person. The airline can handle it however they want but I want what I pay for and that is a full seat.

Should include luggage too.

Anything over 10kgs should be changed for. I travel 3/4 times per year and never have over 8kgs. With my Gold Card I am entitled to 45kgs. Ifs an average person weights 85kgs and travels with 15kgs and costs say £400 excluding tax then I am paying £4 per 1kilo. If I only have 8 kgs I should have a refund of 7X£4 = £28.

I am suprised low budget airlines dont charge same way.

If an obeise person weighs 150kgs and has 15 kgs of luggage then on the same flight he should be paying in the region of 165kgs X £4 = £660.

I know it is not as easy as that!!!!!

The land luggage needs addressing as well. Should only be pushchairs, babies meal, and duty free. What people must carry in it beggers belief. Can someone tell me what they carry in them. I never have anything in hand luggage except duty free!

Edited by johnswift1956

The land luggage needs addressing as well. Should only be pushchairs, babies meal, and duty free. What people must carry in it beggers belief. Can someone tell me what they carry in them. I never have anything in hand luggage except duty free!

You obviously never travel with anything valuable like cameras, laptop etc.

I do agree with you that carry on needs more regulation, I have only once ever seen the guage at check in being used once. That was at HCMC when it was early morning and there was no check in staff so the travellers were just amusing themselves. I have seen people with more carry on than I have as check in baggage and that p1sses me off big time.

Can't see this flying in the USA or UK.

Many North American airlines do it already.

But not in your homeland of Canada. There was that ruling a year or so ago that said being obese was a "disability" and they were entitled to as many seats as necessary to accomodate their flowing folds of flab. The positive aspect of this ruling is that it only applies to the economy section. The business class seats on AC, while being slightly larger do not have moveable seat dividers. And due to the evacuation rules, they cannot be seated in a location where they would impede an evacuation, i.e. no exit rows and usually not on the aisles.

They'll have 2 rows at check in, one with the entrance posts set narrow for the normal and undersize passengers (43cm apart as that's the width of the seat), and one with the posts set wider for the oversize passengers.

If you knock over the posts to get in the 43cm queue than they'll send you to the wider one.

On the question of bumping then the passenger that has paid for the correct seat gets to keep it and the one that hasn't gets bumped or the choice of paying for Business Class.

Maybe there's a niche market here for someone to set up Jumbo Airlines where all the seats are extra wide to accomodate all sizes of passengers??? They could even have extra wide aisles and extra wide trolley dollies.

Maybe there's a niche market here for someone to set up Jumbo Airlines where all the seats are extra wide to accomodate all sizes of passengers??? They could even have extra wide aisles and extra wide trolley dollies.

If they add a smoking section they'll be my favourite airline, even if the hostesses are ugly and the food is inedible.

If they add a smoking section they'll be my favourite airline, even if the hostesses are ugly and the food is inedible.

Yes hope is priceless.

About time , not that obese people are not wonderful human beings , it just sucks to have to sit next to a sweaty heavy breathing pig.

Jimmy, it amazes me to no end how morons like yourself take the time out of your day to show the rest of the world that people like you are living next to the rest of us. What a pity indeed.

In that case we'll have to call it Social Lepers Airways :D

I just hope the oversized passengers don't object to the smokers :)