Windowsxp Dvd Burn Limits

paulfr

I am having trouble burning 8.5G and 4.7G discs with my new External LG GSA5163G DVD RWriter.

At what point would I need additional SW to burn a 4.7G or 8.5G disc ??

What are the limits of drag and drop copying/writing in Windows ... anyone know ? I have SP2 installed so I should be up to date.

I have tried 3 different media mfrs and get these "cannot complete operation" or "a problem occurred during.... try again ?"

Thanks.

Nevermind .... got it going now.

Used program Nero to write to an 8.5 +R DL disc.

Windows seems to be limited to 700MB CD-Rs for drag and drop.

Sure is nice to go 10X on data backup disc size.

Pretty much obviates needing a backup HDD.

Here is a good site with lots of useful information on DVD

http://www.cdfreaks.com

Nero is the standard for writing DVD discs, they had support for dual layer writing even before the drives appeared on the market.

Dual layer media is still a bit too expensive (200+ baht each) compared to single layer media (20+ baht each), so I'm still sticking to single layer media. I only download enough to fill a 4.4GB DVD about every two weeks or so.

Dual layer media is still a bit too expensive (200+ baht each) compared to single layer media (20+ baht each), so I'm still sticking to single layer media.  I only download enough to fill a 4.4GB DVD about every two weeks or so.

FF

You are paying only 20B for a 4.7GB single layer DVD ?

Not at Pantip, I looked and best price I found was 150B.

For the dual layer 8.5GB, it was 250-350B.

I am a newbie to these high capacity discs .... did I miss

the right shop ?

You're buying name brand discs in jewel cases. For those, it will always be around 100+ baht. What I buy is bulk discs, in packs of 50. Those come to 20 baht each. The shop I buy it from is called "Sunshine", and they have a shop in both IT Mall and Pantip (3rd or 4th floor). They also have bulk Philips DVD-Rs, which cost around 30 baht each.

I have had no trouble with these discs, so far not a single coaster, and they can be read on everything. But this might be because of my writer, a Pioneer A08, which has yet to produce a coaster. My old DVD writer, a Plextor, couldn't write to these (and many other) discs.