Surayud Ordered To Give Up Contested Plot Of Land

webfact

It appears pretty obvious on the face of it that this chap Surayat has been well and truly nabbed with his fingers in the till.

Surely he must have realised that there would be people around who would be in a position to out him on this.

Not guilty of the "offence", just of getting found out.

The investigation needs to be widened to find out who else is culpable in this shabby episode.

It appears pretty obvious on the face of it that this chap Surayat has been well and truly nabbed with his fingers in the till.

Surely he must have realised that there would be people around who would be in a position to out him on this.

Not guilty of the "offence", just of getting found out.

The investigation needs to be widened to find out who else is culpable in this shabby episode.

The precedent here now needs to be extendded to such as ther Alpine case where the elite involved ion that have been well protected although dont expect the red shirts to say anything about it as this time it is their elite who are bang to rights and have been for sometime

By the way, can anyone actually rememeber who the first person to raise the Sarayud case was and what his role was at the time? That is interesting in itself

By the way, can anyone actually rememeber who the first person to raise the Sarayud case was and what his role was at the time? That is interesting in itself

Wasn't it highlighted by the PAD while Surayad was the military-appointed PM?

Do I get a cookie?

The precedent here now needs to be extendded to such as ther Alpine case where the elite involved ion that have been well protected although dont expect the red shirts to say anything about it as this time it is their elite who are bang to rights and have been for sometime

The Reds are not going to campaign on the Alpine case.Why is that so surprising given that as a political movement they were clearly out for Surayud's scalp and campaigners against encroachment only incidentally?

However nothing to stop the authorities going after blatant examples of illegality like the Alpine case.In fact I very much hope they do along with other examples of illegal encroachment committed by influential Thais used to non-accountability.Let the cards fall where they may - but it's frankly bizarre to expect the Reds to take up this cause.

Wasn't it highlighted by the PAD while Surayad was the military-appointed PM?

Do I get a cookie?

Only if you go to the dark side! :)

it's frankly bizarre to expect the Reds to take up this cause.

Nobody expects it, that's true, because nobody (with the exception of some of their followers perhaps), seriously believes the red movement is there for any other reason other than to whitewash Thaksin and return him to power. But all the while they continue to pretend to be fighting for some greater good, it's only right that people continue to ask questions like "but what about the Alpine case?".

The day the reds come out and say "we're only interested in seeking punishment for crimes commited by those against our cause - those for it are free to break whatever laws they please", is the day those pesky questions stop being asked of them.

The reds pursue the alpine case?

Do turkeys vote for christmas?

Its the media who should be digging around surayad to find out who else was involved in this , and to what extent.

The same media who should be banging down abisits door to demand answers about the terrible state of thai humans rights.

But as stated above do turkeys vote for christmas.

it's frankly bizarre to expect the Reds to take up this cause.

Nobody expects it, that's true, because nobody (with the exception of some of their followers perhaps), seriously believes the red movement is there for any other reason other than to whitewash Thaksin and return him to power. But all the while they continue to pretend to be fighting for some greater good, it's only right that people continue to ask questions like "but what about the Alpine case?".

The day the reds come out and say "we're only interested in seeking punishment for crimes commited by those against our cause - those for it are free to break whatever laws they please", is the day those pesky questions stop being asked of them.

The truth is that the Reds now form a broad coalition with mixed motivations which can't be easily categorised (much like the yellow shirts in their prime).Some may simply want Thaksin back (and one has to ask why - what is their motivation?) but others are certainly fighting for what you call the greater good.

As far as the well educated foreign community (particularly high earners with work permits in contrast with the more intinerant nature of most members of this forum, retirees on a budget etc) is concerned it's quite amazing to me how many have sympathy for the red movement(not that their opinion matters that much of course).Almost before our eyes the prestige of the old elite is ebbing away and Abhisit is clearly scrambling to tap into the broader national feeling.As Bismarck once observed statesmanship is listening to the distant voice of history and grasping the stirrup as the horse gallops by.Does Abhisit have that genius and the courage to cut off his shadowy backers that led him to power?

Something is stirring in Thailand and the red movement represents, not so clearly perhaps at the moment, something of that future.To represent it just as a Thaksinite front is part of that truth but by no means the whole truth.However I have no doubt that those who seek to describe the world as a cartoon will continue to do so.It was ever thus.

Edited by jayboy

As far as the well educated foreign community (particularly high earners with work permits in contrast with the more intinerant nature of most members of this forum, retirees on a budget etc) is concerned it's quite amazing to me how many have sympathy for the red movement(not that their opinion matters that much of course).

Are we to take it that you are refering to yourself with this observation?

You find yourself amazing? Guess that fits.

As far as being privy to that background details "of most members of this forum", pray tell, how did you come by this information?

Some may simply want Thaksin back (and one has to ask why - what is their motivation?) but others are certainly fighting for what you call the greater good.

Whilst i accept that within the reds there may be varying degrees in terms of the passion of support for Thaksin - some truly blind in the belief that Thaksin is a completely innocent victim, others more open to questioning some of his actions - i don't believe that a single one of them would actively stand against Thaksin being cleared of all charges and returning to power, were that ever a possibility. That's what makes whatever good intentions they may have hollow.

As far as the well educated foreign community (particularly high earners with work permits in contrast with the more intinerant nature of most members of this forum, retirees on a budget etc) is concerned it's quite amazing to me how many have sympathy for the red movement(not that their opinion matters that much of course).

As far as being privy to that background details "of most members of this forum", pray tell, how did you come by this information?

Actually not.I'm a bird of passage on a budget.

The background of most members of this forum is blindingly obvious from a whole variety of clues.Any individual poster after a time provides evidence of education, social class, literacy, political views.It's not difficult to read the signals.But I'm proud to be a member

Some may simply want Thaksin back (and one has to ask why - what is their motivation?) but others are certainly fighting for what you call the greater good.

Whilst i accept that within the reds there may be varying degrees in terms of the passion of support for Thaksin - some truly blind in the belief that Thaksin is a completely innocent victim, others more open to questioning some of his actions - i don't believe that a single one of them would actively stand against Thaksin being cleared of all charges and returning to power, were that ever a possibility. That's what makes whatever good intentions they may have hollow.

To employ that overused expression in vogue a propos greedy bankers, you simply don't get it.

Please have a look at the ThaiVisa 2009 Survey. The demographic information provides an indication of the typical member. I was surprised by the high number of TVers in Bangkok. The age and income data really does co-relate to many of the opinions expressed. My humble interpretation at least. For me, the survey explains the factors that cause many people to write what they do. For example, I can afford to be somewhat more laissez faire because I am younger and have a higher income than other TV members. However, I can understand why someone with a family, a home, and a modest income may hold some views. For others that are elderly and on a fixed income, I can appreciate why stability, especially economic stability is a major concern for them. People are impacted by the events and conditions in Thailand differently and to understand that is to understand why there will never be a consensus in TV on political issues.

If Surayud gives up his land he will be forgiven by the public

Unfortunately I don't believe this to be the case and the Thais I have talked to ( of differing political views agree).There is almost universal contempt for the way Surayud prevaricated on this issue until his guilt was rubbed in his face by the Royal Forest Department.No more glad confident morning for Surayud.His reputation, perhaps a little unfairly, is sullied forever

Although I have sympathy for their general concern,the point that Hammered and Samuian are missing - when drawing attention to the Alpine Scandal, Banharn's transactions etc - is that we know these involved run of the mill Thai politicians with the low standard of ethics that implies.Yes there is some hypocrisy in the drive aginst Surayud and yes it was largely politically motivated.But - and it is a very big but indeed - the line peddled by the coup merchants and the junta which followed that these were people free of corruption,devoted to the monarchy, the flag and the best interests of the Thai people.All this has been shown symbolically in this one minor incident to have been false.We knew that these people were unpunished criminals for their involvement in the coup and we knew that they were shockingly incompetent but there was a sense they (symbolised above all by a gent like Surayud) retained some vestiges of personal honour.They don't.

The suggestion that the reds should now take on the Alpine affair is puzzling to me.Why should they? - they are partisan political activists.However there's nothing preventing the government taking action on the long running Alpine scandal, and indeed I would welcome that.

The Alpine saga has already been brought up during the Abhisit Govt by some Democrat backbenchers as a way to attack one of their coalition allies. That is why it is not being raised as a counter allegation by government supporters because a government party whose execs were Thaksin allies is involved in the scam. The Dems did a deal with the coalition party and agreed to drop Alpine. However, I doubt that the PAD will stay quiet on it much longer, if Prem continues to be attacked over golf course projects that he, as far as I know, is or was only loosely involved with as an honorary board member or similar, and the moves to change to constitution to benefit small coalition parties goes further.

Seem like to me this country is ruled only for self interest. Weather is action or allegation, it is all for some that the party like or dislike.

When will this people focus on running the country for the people of this country?

good question "givenall" very good question.... :)

Who cares about Surayud and one piece of land. What the red shirt mouthbreathers should be protesting is the corrupt land department, who allowed the transaction to go through (with a little donation to junior's college fund, no doubt).

Ex-Landgrabber surayad for one .