Mobile Internet In Thailand

mrmazinkle

Sorry if this has been covered but i searched and can't find....In Isaan..Want mobile internet....But don't want through a new phone...What are the options to buy something(Modems??) I just plug in to my laptop and pay as I go..or prepay..And ideas on cost please..Many Thanks..Bill

Edited by mrmazinkle

Hi, DTAC charges 266 baht a week for GRPS/EDGE mobile Internet. Just buy an Edge USB Modem (about 1400 baht), get a SIM card and charge it with 300 baht and call customer service, and they will set it up on the spot. Enjoy!

Thank you very muchhhCan I ask..do you use it?is it reliable?thank you again for taking the time....

AIS & Dtac both have air cards. It's just a little thing the size of a flash drive that plugs into your USB port. If you're in range of a cell phone tower which is almost everywhere than you can get internet. You pay around 3000b for the unit and then as little as 100b/month. It's way worth it when traveling around the country. Slow, but always works. Works on busses, trains, etc. They seem to be competing right now and a lot of Lotus's have them sold by the phone stands right before you go in. Look for AIS and Dtac signs.

I take back what I said about being slow. It's slow compared to my 7mb connection at home. I've been very happy with the AIS modem.

Also, the AIS USB modem is 3,290 baht.

It's free for the first 6 months or 500MB. Whatever comes first.

I "think" you have the choice between just adding money to it as needed or setting it up automatically. I just add money when it runs out with a phone card. Plans are as follows and expire in a month.

3 hours - 30b

6 hours - 50b

20 hours - 100b

100 hours - 350b

Unlimited - 999b

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/TH/USB_Modem.html

Thank you very muchhhCan I ask..do you use it?is it reliable?thank you again for taking the time....

I tried them with AIS and DTAC upcountry, not Isaan but Nakhon Sawan and found them to be unbrearable except unless you plan to use the net for all the most basic and low bandwidth stuff. After a few days of such nonsense I bought a CAT CDMA usb modem.