Money In Bank For Visa

I think this is very important information,which I did not realise and probably a lot of you out there may not have.

A fellow came into the Pub recently with this story. He had done the same as he has done every year for the past few years;i.e. letter from the bank,bank book showing funds,all the right papers etc. Off his passport goes to BKK for stamping. On it's return the man was asked again to show his bankbook. He had withdrawn in the month or so his passport was away,and Immigration cancelled his visa there and then. He must now start from scratch. This obviously means that the ฿400,000/800,000 needed for a visa must be in there all the time. Surely this goes against the other story of 'Your money has not been touched,so what do you live on?' which other members have come up against. Or maybe each office has a completely different set ot rules to go by. Or maybe once more the whole issue is explained by three little letters : tit

I have a retirememnt Visa and live in BKK. I deposited 800K two years ago and have not topped it up since.

I normally use my USA based bank for living expenses. I just renewed my RV last Feb and no problems at all. I did have the "pension" letter from the US Embassy, certifying my income.

Maybe I was just lucky; like you said TIT :o

It's possible that the entire 800,000 must be in there until the visa is issued. I live on that money until I have to apply again. At that point I wire transfer enough to top off my account to again meet the 800,000. I have had no problems but TIT. This year may be different. The only thing consistent here is the inconsistencies. :o

I think this is very important information,which I did not realise and probably a lot of you out there may not have.

A fellow came into the Pub recently with this story. He had done the same as he has done every year for the past few years;i.e. letter from the bank,bank book showing funds,all the right papers etc. Off his passport goes to BKK for stamping. On it's return the man was asked again to show his bankbook. He had withdrawn in the month or so his passport was away,and Immigration cancelled his visa there and then. He must now start from scratch. This obviously means that the ฿400,000/800,000 needed for a visa must be in there all the time. Surely this goes against the other story of 'Your money has not been touched,so what do you live on?' which other members have come up against. Or maybe each office has a completely different set ot rules to go by. Or maybe once more the whole issue is explained by three little letters : tit

I don't think your story means that a retiree must have the money in there ALL THE TIME. But if most of the amount disappears within a month or so, it's obviously just borrowed.

So, if you're going to borrow, do it for a long enough period to get your visa back properly stamped.

I have a RV but I am not on a pension

I have to show where my monthly money comes from.

Lancelot has a RV and a pension.

He does not have to explain his expenses.

I am only guessing.

By the way Lampard your "man in the pub" was not on a RV as these are issued same day.

Actually his account sounds a bit suspect. Why did his PP have to go to Bangers.

When I was on a marriage visa I had to go back the next month month to see if it had been approved. It was always stamped there never in Bangers.

Edited by Thetyim

I have a RV but I am not on a pension

I have to show where my monthly money comes from.

Lancelot has a RV and a pension.

He does not have to explain  his expenses.

I am only guessing.

By the way Lampard your "man in the pub" was not on a RV as these are issued same day.

Actually his account sounds a bit suspect.  Why did his PP have to go to Bangers.

When I was on a marriage visa I had to go back the next month month to see if it had been approved. It was always stamped there never in Bangers.

Correct. I originally deposited 800k, but have drawn it down to about 350k. I think the pension doc helps. Next Feb I am goig to try and use the same (Feb 2005) pension doc. The nice folks at the US Embassy request B1,200 for it and I am keeneow, nid noi... :o

My marriage extension was not given on the basis of my taking the cahs out after a couple of weeks, I think.

They told me the last time that they check every three months now, whatever that means. It pisses me off having to borrow the money but that is what I will do and keep it there as long as the lender is happy with.

The first time I did it I took the money out after one week with no problems. I think they are clamping down, the b@stards.

How many of the immigation staff have 400,00 in the bank, I wonder????

My marriage extension was not given on the basis of my taking the cahs out after a couple of weeks, I think.

They told me the last time that they check every three months now, whatever that means. It pisses me off having to borrow the money but that is what I will do and keep it there as long as the lender is happy with.

The first time I did it I took the money out after one week with no problems. I think they are clamping down, the b@stards.

How many of the immigation  staff have 400,00 in the bank, I wonder????

Probably few. But them's the rules to stay.

Actually his account sounds a bit suspect.  Why did his PP have to go to Bangers.

I have not heard of the requirement to send the passport anywhere. To my, albeit limited, knowledge, the application, together with a COPY of the relevant pages of the passport, is sent to BKK. The passport is stamped with something like "30 days extension, awaiting visa approval".

Lance,

A friend of mine uses the same pension document every year.

Does he apply at the Bangkok immigration or at another immigration?

He uses Nan but another friend uses CM and I think that is the same

I have not heard of the requirement to send the passport anywhere. To my, albeit limited, knowledge, the application, together with a COPY of the relevant pages of the passport, is sent to BKK. The passport is stamped with something like "30 days extension, awaiting visa approval".

My apologies; I meant paperwork, & when I said passport, I meant a copy of it.

Lance,

A friend of mine uses the same pension document every year.

So do I and it's dated 2000.

Thanks guys-good info. Unfortunately the lady at immigration kept my Feb 2005 original. I'll try to use my copy.

Anyway, they have the original, so I'll just smile and be extra polite on Feb 2006 :o

Can you put 800,000 in the bank, get your retirement visa, then wire most of the money out to your foreign bank, leaving just a small amount in the Thai bank? Then wire it back in the next year before you renew the visa? That's the only way I would do it, otherwise you are forfeiting too much money in interest due to the ridiculously low interest rates on bank accounts in Thailand.

Can you put 800,000 in the bank, get your retirement visa, then wire most of the money out to your foreign bank, leaving just a small amount in the Thai bank? Then wire it back in the next year before you renew the visa? That's the only way I would do it, otherwise you are forfeiting too much money in interest due to the ridiculously low interest rates on bank accounts in Thailand.

Many are doing just that, without problems, according to reports.

I've had a couple of loans out to other farangs for this requirement, and pulled the money afterwards, with no problems to report...

But, TiT, and all that... :o

From: http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/2005/may05/73_expats.php

Pol. Lt. Col. Kanokpun Toobkajorn from Chiang Mai Immigration has given us the following advice, you may quote him on every point:

Before making the official request for a retirement visa, you should get your bank book updated or get a statement from any Thai bank indicating that you have 800,000 baht in your account, with each time you apply. You’ll also need a doctor’s certificate from any hospital or clinic to verify the state of your health.

If the person requesting a retirement visa currently receives a pension from their native county, they must present these following references to the Immigration Office;

1. Reference of their pension from the Embassy of their native country. The reference must also be approved by the Thai government,

2. A bank account from a Thai bank. In this case (for applicants with pensions only), the applicant does not need to have 800,000 baht in the bank, but a mere 20,000-30,000 baht monthly turnover would be fine,

3. Doctor’s certificate from either governmental or private hospital or clinic.

Foreigners who apply for retirement visas may do so at the Chiang Mai Immigration office and the process should not take more than two days. Once the visa has been approved, the 800,000 baht can be withdrawn and used as a normal bank account, but the account should not be closed.

There are always confusions. Should you apply for a visa as a foreigner married to a Thai, the approval has to come from Bangkok which would take up to two months for approval and the applicant must have 400,000 baht in the bank.

By law you ARE allowed to draw on this amount of money, BUT not during the approval process, only once the visa has been issued. The local Immigration will stamp one month temporary visas pending approval.

Immigration Chiang Mai has asked us to emphasise that there is no law nor document which insists that the full sum – 800,000 or 400,000 can not be drawn upon during the year, once the approval has been granted. There are many Thai language documents to sign and sometimes foreigners may misunderstand what the documents are all about so it is advisable for your own rights and peace of mind to check that you fully understand all documents to avoid any misunderstandings.

Pol. Lt. Col. Kanokpun Toobkajorn from Chiang Mai Immigration has given us the following advice, you may quote him on every point:

Before making the official request for a retirement visa, you should get your bank book updated or get a statement from any Thai bank indicating that you have 800,000 baht in your account, with each time you apply. You’ll also need a doctor’s certificate from any hospital or clinic to verify the state of your health.

If the person requesting a retirement visa currently receives a pension from their native county, they must present these following references to the Immigration Office;

1. Reference of their pension from the Embassy of their native country. The reference must also be approved by the Thai government,

2. A bank account from a Thai bank. In this case (for applicants with pensions only), the applicant does not need to have 800,000 baht in the bank, but a mere 20,000-30,000 baht monthly turnover would be fine,

Foreigners who apply for retirement visas may do so at the Chiang Mai Immigration office and the process should not take more than two days. Once the visa has been approved, the 800,000 baht can be withdrawn and used as a normal bank account, but the account should not be closed.

There are always confusions. Should you apply for a visa as a foreigner married to a Thai, the approval has to come from Bangkok which would take up to two months for approval and the applicant must have 400,000 baht in the bank.

By law you ARE allowed to draw on this amount of money, BUT not during the approval process, only once the visa has been issued. The local Immigration will stamp one month temporary visas pending approval.

Immigration Chiang Mai has asked us to emphasise that there is no law nor document which insists that the full sum – 800,000 or 400,000 can not be drawn upon during the year, once the approval has been granted. There are many Thai language documents to sign and sometimes foreigners may misunderstand what the documents are all about so it is advisable for your own rights and peace of mind to check that you fully understand all documents to avoid any misunderstandings.

Thanks a million for all that, Ajarn, especially since I'm single, living in Chiang Mai, and have thought about going this route in 11 more months. I know Houston will give me a one-year retirement visa, but I'd have to go through it in CMai sooner or later. Do you think the American Consulate in CMai could do all the pension verification?

Thanks a million for all that, Ajarn, especially since I'm single, living in Chiang Mai, and have thought about going this route in 11 more months. I know Houston will give me a one-year retirement visa, but I'd have to go through it in CMai sooner or later. Do you think the American Consulate in CMai could do all the pension verification?

I say thanx a million also,P.B. Im all ears as well concerning that question as to whether the U.S. Cmai consulate can verify the pension...

OK, forgive me, but I am confused about this.

So you have to keep the money in the account during the visa application process. OK. Fine.

Does that mean you can't withdraw some money during the application process for living expenses, as long as your account balance stays over the requirement, for example 800K baht?

My real concern is that I have an automatic bank draft for my phone bill, so if the rule means you can't draw ANY money (again, assuming the balance stays over the requirement), that would be a problem?

That would really be tragic. No visa for paying a 300 baht phone bill.

Sorry to nit pick but I think the following sentence is incorrect

"Before making the official request for a retirement visa, you should get your bank book updated or get a statement from any Thai bank indicating that you have 800,000 baht in your account"

In my expreience you must have both.

We have already had several threads asking why you must have both so I think I am correct.

Sorry to nit pick but I think the following sentence is incorrect

"Before making the official request for a retirement visa, you should get your bank book updated or get a statement from any Thai bank indicating that you have 800,000 baht in your account"

In my expreience you must have both.

We have already had several threads asking why you must have both so I  think I am correct.

It is both. The passbook and a current letter from the bank.

With a certification of pension from an embassy, you can use the sme pension doc every year. Never leave the original with imigration.

If you do not have a pension, and have to deposit money in the bank, 800,000 baht will get you the visa extension in one day. 400,000 baht deposit in a bank will take 60 days for approval, and you cannot touch the money until after your extention is approved.