How To Get On After Non-b Expirews?

I’ve got a question regarding my Non-B visa which will expire at the end of March. I’m employed and working for an agency at a school in the lower north east. Can I apply for a three month Non-O when my visa expires without showing 400,000 baht? (For example in Mukdahan, or Vientiane). My point being is that the new contract might not be signed when my visa expires. I’m legally married and I don’t want to fall back on a tourist visa, what’s best to do in my situation please? Thanks a lot in advance for any posts regarding this matter.

With Regards,

If money has been in bank two months you should be able to change the reason for your extension of stay - there would not be any visa change. You will have to visit with wife and full paperwork for marriage extension of stay.

If you want to buy a bit of time you can apply for a 60 day extension at Immigration for the reason of visiting your Wife. Providing she is Thai.

Vientienne will issue a single entry Non O Visa to someone with a Thai Wife.

Or as said above apply for a 12 month extension based on Marriage. 400,000 in a Thai bank OR 40,000 monthly income.

If money has been in bank two months you should be able to change the reason for your extension of stay - there would not be any visa change. You will have to visit with wife and full paperwork for marriage extension of stay.

Thanks for your answer, but I don’t have the needed amount of money. Just in case that the new contract isn’t signed, I need a kind of back up not to fall back on a tourist visa. Please can I go to Mukdahan, to apply for a Non-O, becauseit’s closer to me than Vientiane? I appreciate all posts from foreigners who are in a similar situation.

If you want to buy a bit of time you can apply for a 60 day extension at Immigration for the reason of visiting your Wife. Providing she is Thai.

Or as said above apply for a 12 month extension based on Marriage. 400,000 in a Thai bank OR 40,000 monthly income.

My wife is Thai, will Sawann Nakhet issue one too??

You get visas at Thai Consulates. Vientiane and Savannakhet are the locations in Laos. Savannakhet has not been a good choice for visas for some time but expect you should be able to obtain a single entry with full paperwork (copy of marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and home register). It would also carry note from wife asking for the visa to be issued and a bank book with something in account (they can always ask for proof of 20k baht for any 90 day visa).

There are some similarities here to a situation I may be facing later this year.

I'm currently on a Non-Immi B extension of stay, and I'm legally married to my Thai wife. If my current employment ceases later this year, and I'm without employment for say 2 months, would it be possible for me to apply for extension of stay on the basis of marriage (assuming I have the necessary bank balance)?

Alternatively, would I have no choice other than to depart Thailand and apply for a Non-Immi O in a nearby country?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes you can extend for marriage and most people who work and have the marriage option do that anyhow as then there is no problem with loss of employment. You can also obtain a 60 day extension of any stay to visit wife/child so there are several options.

My wife is Thai, will Sawann Nakhet issue one too??

Any Immigration Office will issue a 60 day extension. You have to visit your local office though.

There are some similarities here to a situation I may be facing later this year.

I'm currently on a Non-Immi B extension of stay, and I'm legally married to my Thai wife. If my current employment ceases later this year, and I'm without employment for say 2 months, would it be possible for me to apply for extension of stay on the basis of marriage (assuming I have the necessary bank balance)?

Alternatively, would I have no choice other than to depart Thailand and apply for a Non-Immi O in a nearby country?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The best way for you would be to apply for a Non-O marriage visa based on your marriage, if you’ve got the needed 400,000 baht on a Thai bank account in your name.

You’re also allowed to work on a Non-O visa regarding a work permit. The money has to be on your account for at least two months; an extension of a few weeks will be given to you to proof if the money is still there.

You don’t have to leave the country; you can do that at the nearest Immigration, where you’re staying. Should you apply for a Non-O visa, please be aware that the bank statement has to be from the same day.

Some Immigration will send you away, if it’s from the day before…

I hope that answered your question, good luck. Take care.

Mike

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The best way for you would be to apply for a Non-O marriage visa based on your marriage, if you've got the needed 400,000 baht on a Thai bank account in your name.

You're also allowed to work on a Non-O visa regarding a work permit. The money has to be on your account for at least two months; an extension of a few weeks will be given to you to proof if the money is still there.

You don't have to leave the country; you can do that at the nearest Immigration, where you're staying. Should you apply for a Non-O visa, please be aware that the bank statement has to be from the same day.

Some Immigration will send you away, if it's from the day before…

I hope that answered your question, good luck. Take care.

Mike

It's already been explained. He simply needs to change the reason for his "Extension of Stay" from business, to being married. He does not need to apply for an "O" Visa, and there is no "Marriage Visa".

Edited by beechguy