"bank" Phone Scam

jcon

then the automated message says, "Press '1' to speak to a representative," and something else (I just pressed "1").

Then a woman answers with a very typical "call center" voice, "Bangkok Bank, xxyyzz speaking, how may I help you?" (The incoming call showed "Private Number".....)

I say, "Somebody called me just now saying there would be a charge to my bank account..."

She says, "Was it an automated message?"

I say, "Yes."

She says something else (I can't recall), then asks for my ID number and bank account number.

I say, "This is illegal."

She says, "Ow!" (the Thai "Ow" sort of like "How dare you? You called us!") She hangs up.

I call Bangkok Bank and after some more automated commands a woman on the phone says this scam has been going on using "Bangkok Bank" as the name for about one month, and warns me that they are using all of the bank names so watch out. I ask if they have been trying to get the word around (not a mention on their website), and nope.... I would think that Bangkok Bank (or any other Bank) would be trying to go after the scammers to protect their own interests at the very least...

So that's it. Woke up this morning to scammers. This scam is even more infuriating in that it uses psychology (and timing) on a different level than your average "you've won a million dollars, please send 500USD to Nigeria" scam. That one preys on greed, but this one casts a wide net (or very narrow if they are targeting specific people i.e. people with big accounts).

These con-artists need an 8-Generation-Wipeout, front back and sideways.

The call was in Thai (I'm a dual-National), so maybe it wouldn't work on non-speakers, but either way it's upsetting. I really can't stand unsolicited phone calls, but this was a different take on it. I hate scammers. I hate whoever gives my number (or sells it - I use DTAC - billed monthly). But I fear this is just the beginning of scamming.... somebody is trying to take my money even as I lay in my own bed on a Friday morning... :)

I'm thinking that a "scam" thread that is pinned at the top of general might not be a bad idea. Everyone can list scams that they've experienced, and once a month someone can collate them into the first post. It would probably be one of the most useful posts here, as you wouldn't have to jump around to the Sin-sot, Suvarnabhumi taxi, Phuket Tuk-Tuk, Sukhumwit cigarette, jem store, etc. posts to find out what to watch for.

Just a thought!

I got exactly this a few weeks ago. Only difference was that the caller ID showed a Hong Kong number. I am embarrassed by how close I came to giving them the information they asked for. (I am not a native Thai speaker, and the ways of Thai banks often seem to defy logic.) I bet they get a lot of victims.

My wife received the same call and was told that there is some mistake on our house utilities bill that bring deducted automatically thru Bangkok Bank. The caller ask my wife bank account number and ID number where she could rectify the mistake, luckily my wife were fast enough to tell the caller off.

Therefore, remind your missus or girlfriend to watch out or beware such call scam.

Edited by Thaising