Will I Get Another Single Entry Tourist Visa In Vientiane?

The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane have issued me with three tourist visas since September 2007. The first a single entry, the second a double entry in December 2007 and the third a single entry on 4th January 2010. I also have two Non-Immigrant visas in my passport, one issued in July 2006 and the other in October 2008.

I applied for a double entry tourist visa on the first day of business in Vientiane in January this year but was given a single entry, with no red stamp and no explanation as to why.

I need to apply for one more single entry visa before going back to Europe in the summer. I want to know if I will be able to get one in Vientiane or whether I should take their refusal to grant me what I applied for as a bad sign and that they may refuse me or issue me with the red stamp.

Any help, advise or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You have no red stamp in your passport so there is no reason to believe Vientiane would not issue this time round. Maybe a misunderstanding somewhere last time, because have seen no reports before of double entry tourist visa being declined and consulate only being prepared to issue single entry visa. Whether you pick up a red stamp this time round is a different (and unanswerable) question. If worried about that you could try applying at a different consulate such as KL.

Thanks for your advise. I walked away with my single entry wondering whether I had done something wrong, whether they thought by giving me a single this time it would mean that I would be paying for the next one (if they stop giving free ones away in March) or whether it was because it was the 4th of January, first day back, and nobody was in the mood for work. There were more people than I have ever seen at a Thai embassy in the region, 540 people before me and probably another 200 after me.

Thanks again, I'll explore my options.

Perhaps it's a consulates reaction to news of free visas until the end of 2010.

Maybe not. The news came out on 15th Jan. The Op applied for his visa on 4th Jan.

I hope you're right. I am concerned with what Vientiane will do now that there isn't a drink for them for a long while.

I got a new double entry in Laos last week, I've previously done a double with two extensions in Bangkok. I was anticipating the dreaded red stamp that i have read so much about (but have never seen) No probs at all. If you've got an existing 2 month visa have you tried extending it in Bangkok? Again no probs and with the new building it's a fairly painless and efficient process. Everyone was super nice

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your advise. I walked away with my single entry wondering whether I had done something wrong, whether they thought by giving me a single this time it would mean that I would be paying for the next one (if they stop giving free ones away in March) or whether it was because it was the 4th of January, first day back, and nobody was in the mood for work. There were more people than I have ever seen at a Thai embassy in the region, 540 people before me and probably another 200 after me.

Thanks again, I'll explore my options.

I just came back to Vientiane, thought I'd share the latest.....I have 8 tourist visas in my passport, fully expected the dreaded red stamp. Not the case, so the number of Tourist visas in the passport as a red stamp guarantee is not the case. I did not see anyone else get a red stamp or complain of one...all in all, the process was smooth, almost no line cutters, the number system seems to work, everything was efficient....however, all was not perfect. Myself, along with many others, were not given double entries as asked for but only single entries, with no explanation other than "my boss not want to give" when asked. I would guess it didn't have to do with our number of stamps in the passport but more to do with the fact that they will start charging as of March again and wanted us to come back.

Myself, along with many others, were not given double entries as asked for but only single entries, with no explanation other than "my boss not want to give" when asked. I would guess it didn't have to do with our number of stamps in the passport but more to do with the fact that they will start charging as of March again and wanted us to come back.

Thank you for your report. It will be interesting to read further member reports over the next few weeks to see if a pattern emerges.

Myself, along with many others, were not given double entries as asked for but only single entries, with no explanation other than "my boss not want to give" when asked. I would guess it didn't have to do with our number of stamps in the passport but more to do with the fact that they will start charging as of March again and wanted us to come back.

I'm only guessing here, but perhaps they want you back soon to pay for a double entry because the visa free period is almost over. Perhaps they don't want to encourage a run on free double entry tourist visas so close to the end of the free period.