Getting Work Experience

The reason for the work permit is the government needs a way to tax foreigners working here on their income

If you are not earning money or taking away money from the Thai's I think this would be OK

Many people are volunteering and working in Orphanages all over Thailand for free

Getting paid to work and volunteering are 2 different things

We had thousands of volunteers here after the tsunami all volunteering skills of all kinds for free

The reason for the work permit is the government needs a way to tax foreigners working here on their income

If you are not earning money or taking away money from the Thai's I think this would be OK

Many people are volunteering and working in Orphanages all over Thailand for free

Getting paid to work and volunteering are 2 different things

We had thousands of volunteers here after the tsunami all volunteering skills of all kinds for free

Legally speaking you are completely wrong...any work undertaken whether paid or unpaid requires a work permit and this includes voluteering....

I would add after the tsunami, the Thai goverment actually stated they required all volunteers to have a work permit, the decision was quickly reversed in that instance once the news hit the international press etc etc and putting the goverment in bad light... :)

correct. If you do volunteer work, you need a special permission to do so.

Exception: Student exchanges. If you hire a trainee student from abroad and this is done through a recognized student exchange program, no WP is required. Some conditions apply, but it is possible for a certain timeframe.