Name 1, 5, Or 10 Of The Foods You Miss The Most From Home

Jingthing

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norwegian goat cheese (sweet brown cheese)

Norwegian salmon

Lutefisk

Norwegian Waffles served with fresh strawberries and cream

top quality norwegian smoked salmon is available in Makro (599Baht/kilo)!

wow that's cheap!

discovered the salmon in december when Makro opened in Pattaya. price was then 699/kg but even then very cheap. the salmon is rather mild (less salty) compared to others but i don't mind as i spice it up anyway with fresh green peppercorn and capers.

• 3 weeks later...

A small bag of sugar and a stick of rhubarb to dip in it (better still - a small bag of kaylie).

Banana sandwiches.

Wright's meat and potatoe pie.

Cheshire cheese on oatcakes.

Apple crumble and custard.

Potatoes baked in the embers of a bonfire.

Treacle toffee.

Bramble pie.

Licking out the bowl when Mum was baking.

first the poster who said san francisicans are sensitive....sniff sniff we are and thanks

1. burrito from la taquiria 25th and mission

2 garlic fries

3 pizza from north beach pizza....thin crust but not paper thin

4 beerbrats

5 thomas english muffins

6 kraft american cheese slices...i know no real cheese but great on burgers, and the chinese version is just not the same, plus i worry about buying dairy products from china...oh sometimes you can buy real kraft slices but at over 300bhat for package of 8 a bit pang

7cracked dungees crab

8 in and out burger also fatburger

9 memphis style bbq no sauce just a great rub

10 a beer and a dog at any ballpark in america. maybe not a chavez ravine....

Hi!

I am from Denmark,and we use to eat alot of bread-dark bread-cant find it out here-saw it on the forum where you may order it.but when I look closer.the topic was 2 or 3 years old.

Then I missed the soya souse we use to make souse brown whit-dont know what you call it.?

And different meat, we use to the dark bread-I think this is a Danish fenomen-only can get ham and one or two different things for that,here in Chiang Rai-atleast I have seen.

Edited by brianmarinus

seems like there's more scots on this forum than I expected....and they're coming out of the woodwork on this thread!!

I must admit the food I miss most when in thailand is cheese....I mean, readily available decent cheese.

there's plenty of that plastic crap but not the real stuff.

seems like there's more scots on this forum than I expected....and they're coming out of the woodwork on this thread!!

If you listen closely you can tell east from west as well. Different tastes there but we all love our grub. :)

1. Decent apple pie

2. Spotted dick and custard (funnily enough hardly ever ate it at home, but makes juices come just keying it in here!)

3. King Prawn Phal extra spicey (from my local Indian back in Old blighty)

4. Decent cheese

5. Stuffed peppers.

6. Stuffed marrow.

7. Decent biscuits.

8. Twix super-size (not gonna pay 30+Baht for a 2 inch twix from 7-11!)

9. Peace pudding/tatties-neeps/creamed mash

10. Linda McCartney's deep filled meatless quorn pies.

I'm a pescitarian (i.e. only eat seafood/fish on the meat side of things).

from Scotland;

- real roast beef dinner, with all trimmings, gravy, peas, baked potato, yorkshire pudding,

- rhubarb crumble,,,,,,,,, a close third apple crumble

- scones , jam and fresh cream

- a real whisky (oops sorry)

from Australia;

- really nice Pie and sauce, no joking, used to get cravings for them on a sunday morning driving to the beach..

- lamingtons with fresh cream..

to die for...........

Lamingtons??

Never had alamington with fresh cream and jam..Dont know what your missing,,yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Small square of moist sponge cake covered in a thin chocolate icing and coconut crumbs - usually cut in two and jam and crwam inserted.....

DE..............licious..................... sorry thats cream not crwam

Edited by clinique

Lamingtons??

Never had alamington with fresh cream and jam..Dont know what your missing,,yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Small square of moist sponge cake covered in a thin chocolate icing and coconut crumbs - usually cut in two and jam and crwam inserted.....

Sounnds absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

Of course, scores of times, or I wouldn't know it to crave it. There is no substitute for Ethiopian flavors.

I've never been to Africa but I love the flavours of Trinidadian cooking especially curry duck and calaloo. Doubles for breakfast as well is fabulous!

Lamingtons??

Sounnds absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

noprobs, try one if you ever get a chance,, will not dissapoint.. maybe subdowners at the Aussie Chamber ..they sometimes have them,, for special occassions..

Like Dame Edna's birthday. (she loves lammy's)

Of course, scores of times, or I wouldn't know it to crave it. There is no substitute for Ethiopian flavors.

I've never been to Africa but I love the flavours of Trinidadian cooking especially curry duck and calaloo. Doubles for breakfast as well is fabulous!

Not been to Africa either. The topic is top foods you miss from your home country. Any food from there. It doesn't need to be part of the national cuisine of your country.

1. #16 Sandwich with extra pickles and peppers from Togo's Santa Cruz. Take it to go and eat it at the beach.

2. Sunday morning Corned Beef hash and eggs at Gilda's on the Wharf in Santa Cruz accompanied by the best old school Bloody Marys' on the planet.

3. Carne Asada Burrito from Hector's Panaderia in Watsonville.

4. The salad bar at The Crows Nest Restaurant at the yacht harbor in Santa Cruz.

5. Corndog from the Boardwalk.

6. Tacos and margaritas at El Palomar

As you can tell, I am from Santa Cruz, Ca.

Edited by Kickstand