Bowie Knife

chorizo

Here is a website for a custom knife maker in Udon Thani.

http://www.yunaknives.com/

There are a couple other Thai knife makers around as well, but no falung knife makers as knife making is on the list of prohibited occupations in the Kingdom.

I would be interested in, if you do check his knives out , what your opinion of them are and if it worth a visit to his shop.

He had a small shop/showroom in the same street as the Charoensri Grand hotel ,next door to their on street car park a couple of months ago. across the street from the big Thai nightclub/karaoke.

There is a French knifemaker in Phnom Penh who exports,but expensive ,up to $80 for a 3 inch folder.

http://piakbowieknife.com/contactus.php

This site is dated 2009 & gives the old location on the Sankamphaeng Rd. Even if Khun Saksan has moved, I imagine the phone and/or email still work. I haven't been there in years but he certainly does impressive work.

yep, that's the one. i had been to it several years ago..must have drove right by it. Top quality knives. Bought a folding one , in 2001 and it was $75 then.

I used to get them from a knife maker on way to Mae Hong Sorn...maybe in Mae Sirieng....

Thanks for all the replies

Yeah, there's a knife maker in Mae Sariang, chorizo.

I was just there a month ago and noticed his shop for the second or so time (been in MS before).

Didn't go in, but briefly looked in the main window. All handmade, every kind of knife imaginable.

I was just there a month ago and noticed his shop for the second or so time (been in MS before).

Didn't go in, but briefly looked in the main window. All handmade, every kind of knife imaginable.

Thanks for that info, mcgriffith. I go to Mae Sariang on regular fishing trips and I'll have to look up the place. I probably need another hand crafted knife like I need another hole in my head, but I'm a sucker for nice knives.

20 years ago he used to be up on side of the mountain( possible just a big hill) made them from truck springs and then heating in his small furnace...very nice stufff, '97 i was there again and his son had taken over and was at the shop i think you speak about now. Not sure where they make them. I ordered several and he brought them to Chiangmai a few weeks later.

Made a few custom fit to my hand.Rest were for gifts....

May have to hop on the Harley and go take a look...