Foreigners Studying Mba In Thailand

smiljanic

Hi everybody,

Firstly, I'm not sure if the most appropriate forum to make this post, so sorry if I've missed a more suitable forum or sub-forum.

I am seeking advice on studying for an MBA in Thailand (particularly at Mahidol University, unless you guys can recommend another). Ultimately, I would like to work in Thailand, but this will be difficult given my age and qualifications. Will studying an MBA in Thailand help circumvent some of these difficulties? Also, how well would such a qualification be recognised outside of Thailand should I wish to leave Thailand?

I am 23 years old and my current qualifications are: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) w/ Honours - University of Melbourne and a Bachelor of Business (Management) from RMIT University.

I have ~ 6 years experience working for the Federal Government in Australia, mainly in fraud investigations (I did a cadetship straight out of High School). The last two years have been part-time, while I focussed on finishing my studies.

I have not yet undertaken any study towards the CA, though I would ultimately like to.

I would like to work in the Accounting/Finance industry. My previous work experience was used mainly to support my studies.

Sorry to bore you guys with such a long and dry post, I'm just hoping that somebody with previous experience, or inside knowledge might be able to assist.

Thanks in advance

Edited by smiljanic

I don't know the answer to many of your questions, but I do know that Webster University (which is an American university...and has a good reputation over there) offers an MBA. The main Webster campus is near Hua-Hin/Cha-Am, but I believe that the campus for MBAs is in Bangkok.

As far as recognition, overseas, save your money and simply have a MBA certificate printed up at one of the many shops.

Now, as far as working here is concerned, sounds like you might have some ambition. It would be a shame to waste that by earning simple subsistence in Thailand.

Well, my wife is getting a fast track (weekends only) MBA at Assumption University with campuses at Central World in BKK and at Huamark.

100% in English. Cost: ~ 400,000. Can someone share the cost of other programs? some other famous university put up a bill board near the aiport...

As far as academic recognition back home goes, investigate this before you leap!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was hoping an MBA from a Thai University would lead to excellent job prospects over there, but that wouldn't appear to be the case.

By the way, the cost of the Mahidol MBA is ~370 000 thb.

I don't know the answer to many of your questions, but I do know that Webster University (which is an American university...and has a good reputation over there) offers an MBA. The main Webster campus is near Hua-Hin/Cha-Am, but I believe that the campus for MBAs is in Bangkok.

Without slamming Webster too much ..... You are exaggerating saying that they "have a good reputation over there".

Saisn would be they way to go IF he could get in. http://www.sasin.edu/programs/mba/index.html .... REAL degree backed by Chula and REAL business schools in the US.

As far as recognition, overseas, save your money and simply have a MBA certificate printed up at one of the many shops.

Now, as far as working here is concerned, sounds like you might have some ambition. It would be a shame to waste that by earning simple subsistence in Thailand.

Employers would perform due diligence and check your certificate - most employers also require a Transcript of

Results, so you cannot just "buy that".

For professional level jobs (not McDonalds), they would ask you specific questions related to the areas of study

of your MBA, questions from such topics as strategic management, finance, marketing, business statistics, management,

legal, management accounting, etc....

Buying a certificate will not help you answer those questions....

I have my MBA from Monash (Caulfield Campus, Melbourne), and it was a really god experience.

Excellent lecturers, excellent study materials. Case study based subjects. Lots of presentations,

analysis, contact with industry, etc, etc.

In my work here for a few years, I cannot say I am impressed with the quality of graduates I

have seen, anyone who wants to get ahead finds a way to study overseas, US or Oz for their

postgrad.

If you really want your degree to help you get a good well paid job, with good career prospects,

not just apiece of paper, I would suggest back to Oz - the Melb uni MBA program is also excellent,

but I chose the Monash.

Without slamming Webster too much ..... You are exaggerating saying that they "have a good reputation over there".

Really? Are you American? Have you lived anywhere near St. Louis, where the main Webster campus is located? I lived there for many years, and Webster always had an excellent reputation. Several of my friends have received their MBAs there, and all have landed excellent jobs. I can't speak for the quality of the branch in Thailand, but I am certain that Webster has a good reputation back at home.

Really? Are you American? Have you lived anywhere near St. Louis, where the main Webster campus is located? I lived there for many years, and Webster always had an excellent reputation. Several of my friends have received their MBAs there, and all have landed excellent jobs. I can't speak for the quality of the branch in Thailand, but I am certain that Webster has a good reputation back at home.

I am an American. I attended Webster. They may have a good reputation in St Louis (truly a subjective thing). Anywhere else they are unknown and when people look them up they see tiny programs spread all over and in many areas only serving military personnel etc. A 'good reputation' is meaningless if it is so localized, unless of course you are in that local area :)

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandrevi...chools/rankings

Show me Webster on that list :D Then look at Sasin's website and show me the affiliated programs on that list :D

Edited by jdinasia

I am an American. I attended Webster. They may have a good reputation in St Louis (truly a subjective thing). Anywhere else they are unknown and when people look them up they see tiny programs spread all over in many areas only serving military personnel etc. A 'good reputation' is meaningless if it is so localized, unless of course you are in that local area :)

Show me Webster on that list :D Then look at Sasin's website and show me the affiliated programs on that list :D

Wow, sorry you attended such a sucky university. I guess your degree isn't worth anything since your alma mater isn't well known, huh? :D

Most Thais send their kids to study in oz or uk/usa if they have the money. So that would suggest they value overseas education over local.

You could do it in Thailand and probably you'll get a job as a result providing you learn read, write and speak fluent thai during your studies and you are willing to work on local salaries.

Considering your age, it might be and option to finish your studies back home, get a decent job from company having also operations in Thailand and after couple of years try and get transferred to BKK. If your lucky they do it in expat package or at least pay bit better than local outfits.

But still, the key is speaking Thai and going local or being sent over by your employer back home.

I am an American. I attended Webster. They may have a good reputation in St Louis (truly a subjective thing). Anywhere else they are unknown and when people look them up they see tiny programs spread all over in many areas only serving military personnel etc. A 'good reputation' is meaningless if it is so localized, unless of course you are in that local area :)

Wow, sorry you attended such a sucky university. I guess your degree isn't worth anything since your alma mater isn't well known, huh? :D

I would offer you a class in vocabulary and definitions .... 'attended' does not equal 'graduated from' :D Please note that Webster isn't even on the list (and for good reason, imho).

Oh, so you didn't even graduate? Ouch! (Just kidding. :)) I was never trying to argue that Webster is a high-quality institution, or that it rates highly in different rankings. I simply stated that it has a good reputation in the States. I stand by my position on that. The reputation I referred to was not only apparent in STL, or even in MO. True, Webster may not be well known worldwide and the good reputation may be more well known in the STL area than in other areas. That seems to be true of most universities though (other than the really famous ones). The OP asked about Mahidol University, and you suggested Saisn. They may have a "good reputation" here in Thailand, but if you asked the average person in most western countries, I highly doubt that they will have heard of either school. Does that mean that those schools' local reputations are not accurate or valuable? No.

Edited by tonititan

I have a friend with an MBA from a US university. He told me, after graduation, that the only thing he got from the program was that he learned how to write a good memo. 10+ years later I reminded him of what he said and asked if he still felt that way. He said "No, I was wrong. I still can't write a good memo."

His wife also has an MBA, from a more prestigious US MBA mill, and this woman has zero business sense. She graduated from her program with straight A grades; from what I can figure she must have spent a lot of office hours with her professors.

Oh, so you didn't even graduate? Ouch! (Just kidding. :D) I was never trying to argue that Webster is a high-quality institution, or that it rates highly in different rankings. I simply stated that it has a good reputation in the States. I stand by my position on that. The reputation I referred to was not only apparent in STL, or even in MO. True, Webster may not be well known worldwide and the good reputation may be more well known in the STL area than in other areas. That seems to be true of most universities though (other than the really famous ones). The OP asked about Mahidol University, and you suggested Saisn. They may have a "good reputation" here in Thailand, but if you asked the average person in most western countries, I highly doubt that they will have heard of either school. Does that mean that those schools' local reputations are not accurate or valuable? No.

Take a look at Sasin again :) Since they are affiliated with Kellogg (one of the top 5 schools in the world) and you can get Kellogg and or Wharton on your CV added to the fact that Sasin is consistently ranked in the top 10 schools in Asia Pacific it is fair to say that a degree from Sasin will carry over into any Western country.

In Thailand the choices are Sasin, then AIT, then Thammasat and Mahidol for real international recognition though, it will just be the first 2.

You can continue to argue that Webster has a 'good reputation' but honestly it has no real reputation at all outside of the STL area. (That of course is better than its reputation in Thailand).

Oh, so you didn't even graduate? Ouch! (Just kidding. :) ) I was never trying to argue that Webster is a high-quality institution, or that it rates highly in different rankings. I simply stated that it has a good reputation in the States. I stand by my position on that. The reputation I referred to was not only apparent in STL, or even in MO. True, Webster may not be well known worldwide and the good reputation may be more well known in the STL area than in other areas. That seems to be true of most universities though (other than the really famous ones). The OP asked about Mahidol University, and you suggested Saisn. They may have a "good reputation" here in Thailand, but if you asked the average person in most western countries, I highly doubt that they will have heard of either school. Does that mean that those schools' local reputations are not accurate or valuable? No.

My experience and that of my fellow students is very different - we graduated in 2004 with MBAs from Monash (Melbourne),

I quickly secured a senior project management position, some fellow students were able to receive promotions in their current line

or work withing a reasonable timeframe, several became independent consultants to their previous employers, etc.

All in all, most alumni I keep in contact with, have had very good and positive experiences, and the MBA has significantly helped

their careers. Writing memos, thats a very small part of the job, its about your knowledge of a wide variety of areas related

to company operations, not about memo writing.

I am working in bangkok in senior management, with a full expat package, as a direct result of my MBA, I have a higher

degree but that was not a significant factor in my gaining employment here.

Edited by nasajsc

(oops, sent that off too soon)

Depending on the person and location, there are a lot of people who are highly impressed by degrees from other countries, and I don't just mean developing countries admiring prestigious :) Western universities. I once worked for these two guys who ran a hi-tech company in California, and were suckers for anyone who claimed to have a foreign degree because they felt that US education was trash. It was sort of reverse-stereotyping, and sometimes the results were truly comical. Most entertaining was the Russian mathematical genius (it was only a year or 2 after the fall of the USSR, and anyone who had a math degree was a genius) who wouldn't do any work; while on vacation a friend of his was laid-off from his job (with a different company) which caused the genius to call in frantically and ask if he was also laid-off. Sometimes I had to help go trough the stack of CVs (resumes) and help thin them out. People from certain countries seem to specialize in fabricated credentials, perhaps they should be seeking jobs as fiction writers. I had a co-worker from one such country (he was on the ball) and sometimes I'd show him a CV and ask a question: he'd usually glance at it for about 20 seconds and say "this is sh_it." One CV claimed "Master of Software Applications" and I asked him what that meant, he said they know how to use Excel, Word etc.

Here's my comments:

1. Don't believe the posts about 'buying certificate at stationery shop is same quality as Thai universities etc etc . That's absolutely not true.

I am a lecturer in one of the top three 'prestigious' Thai university business schools. We have numerous international accreditations which are rechecked regularly and we have numerous exchange programs with highly prestigious universities across the world. The bottom line is that the exchange universities in our network would not agree to have an exchange agreement unless they were satisfied about our credibility. And we have a steady flow of students both ways.

2. Don't rush into the thinking that an MBA is the 'door opener' to working in Thailand. There's still the list of professions which only Thais can perform and decisions for specific professions which are not on the list is made by the labour ministry, and obviously, like any country, they will not just 'open the door'. And Thailand is awash with Thai national accountants.

The Thai government would never give you a job on the basis that you've had some experience (22 years old) in investigative work. The total number of westerners working on a contract of employment with the Thai government is probably no more than 2 or 3 people and they would be recognized world class gurus in very very complex areas of IT or science fields or similar, and with 20 or 30 years experience.

3. If a work permit is possible then the Thai company must pay you a salary minimum as stated in the work permit regulations, which is fairly high. Thai companies are not going to do this unless it's a skill set which is totally critical to their operations and is absolutely not available in Thailand.

Oh, so you didn't even graduate? Ouch! (Just kidding. :)) I was never trying to argue that Webster is a high-quality institution, or that it rates highly in different rankings. I simply stated that it has a good reputation in the States. I stand by my position on that. The reputation I referred to was not only apparent in STL, or even in MO. True, Webster may not be well known worldwide and the good reputation may be more well known in the STL area than in other areas. That seems to be true of most universities though (other than the really famous ones). The OP asked about Mahidol University, and you suggested Saisn. They may have a "good reputation" here in Thailand, but if you asked the average person in most western countries, I highly doubt that they will have heard of either school. Does that mean that those schools' local reputations are not accurate or valuable? No.

So I think your saying that if you asked the average man in the street in US, or Germany, France etc "How would you rate Mahidol or Chula or Thammasat University in Thailand then you would expect the result would very likely be "never heard of them", and therefore they have no credibility.

Well of course they would reply "never heard of them", what other comment could you possibly expect.

Lets look at it in another perspective, if you asked the average yank in the street to rank ... (quoting three or four of the best business schools in Europe), they I suggest you would get the same result "never heard of them".

Your argument is not very logical and is unfair.

So I think your saying that if you asked the average man in the street in US, or Germany, France etc "How would you rate Mahidol or Chula or Thammasat University in Thailand then you would expect the result would very likely be "never heard of them", and therefore they have no credibility.

Well of course they would reply "never heard of them", what other comment could you possibly expect.

Lets look at it in another perspective, if you asked the average yank in the street to rank ... (quoting three or four of the best business schools in Europe), they I suggest you would get the same result "never heard of them".

I think more to the point ....

If you asked the average businessman in the US about Kellogg or Wharton they would know them ... If you asked about Webster they would not. In Thailand (and in fact in Asia-Pacific) If you asked about Sasin or AIT they would know. In Thailand They would know Sasin, AIT, Mahidol, Thammassat, and BU. (( and would rank them in that order))

BTW I disagree with your point #3 two posts above. Thai companies in the top tier have no issues with hiring professionals and paying them fairly well (above minimum foreigner wages). The average company has no need for foreigners for the most part or will hire consultancy firms to fill the need.

Edited by jdinasia

No, I'm not saying that Mahidol, Chula, etc. have no credibility because people in the western world have not heard of them. I'm saying exactly the opposite:

They may have a "good reputation" here in Thailand, but if you asked the average person in most western countries, I highly doubt that they will have heard of either school. Does that mean that those schools' local reputations are not accurate or valuable? No.

I was saying that for the most part (excluding the most well known schools in the world), reputation IS a local thing, and most universities' reputations are created by the local community. Just like many people in the western world would not know of Mahidol, etc., many people who are far away from STL would not know Webster because there are simply too many schools in the US. If the local community (in this case STL) places a good reputation on a school, it does not invalidate that reputation just because people living far away have not heard of the school or its reputation. I originally said that Webster had a good reputation "over there," as in the area it is located. Likewise Mahidol has a good reputation "over here."

You can continue to argue that Webster has a 'good reputation' but honestly it has no real reputation at all outside of the STL area. (That of course is better than its reputation in Thailand).

Like you said before, "reputation" is subjective. My perspective comes from someone who not only lived in STL, but also lived in other states (and even countries) where people HAD heard of Webster and had positive opinions about it. (And no, I did not attend Webster, but I had several friends who did.) You can continue to argue that Webster had no reputation outside of STL, but that is based on your perception, and perhaps on the people you have met. Obviously our experiences in the States were different.

Edited by tonititan

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the replies.

Sasin looks like quite a good program. Quite expensive though.

To answer Benjie, I worked right out of High School (17) doing a cadetship for four years, which combined study and work. After that, I've spent the last 2 years studying the second degree (it only took two years because of recognition of prior learning).

The overwhelming consensus seems to be that it would be better to study/advance my career here first before worrying about working in Thailand. I think I will try to focus on that, and hopefully get an employer here to fund an MBA :)

If you asked the average businessman in the US about Kellogg or Wharton they would know them ... If you asked about Webster they would not. In Thailand (and in fact in Asia-Pacific) If you asked about Sasin or AIT they would know. In Thailand They would know Sasin, AIT, Mahidol, Thammassat, and BU. (( and would rank them in that order))

Good point. I think that in a discussion of reputation, it is important to clarify who you are talking about, and I don't think all of us have been taking the same perspective. There are reputations awarded by the community, the students attending the school, the professors at the school, and professionals in the field. Those reputations may or may not be the same. I won't argue that businessmen would know Webster as well as Wharton...that was never what I was saying, and we all know that's not true. I was taking the perspective of the community and the students/alumni who I know.

Oh, so you didn't even graduate? Ouch! (Just kidding. :) ) I was never trying to argue that Webster is a high-quality institution, or that it rates highly in different rankings. I simply stated that it has a good reputation in the States. I stand by my position on that. The reputation I referred to was not only apparent in STL, or even in MO. True, Webster may not be well known worldwide and the good reputation may be more well known in the STL area than in other areas. That seems to be true of most universities though (other than the really famous ones). The OP asked about Mahidol University, and you suggested Saisn. They may have a "good reputation" here in Thailand, but if you asked the average person in most western countries, I highly doubt that they will have heard of either school. Does that mean that those schools' local reputations are not accurate or valuable? No.

If you ask the average man in the USA almost any question, they will get it wrong....

Ever see the shows on TV where they go around asking the simplest questions, and

most people have no idea!!