Portable Air Coolers

Ave

I have been doing some window shopping looking for a tall and thin air cooler for my tiny bedroom but no success so far. Most of the appliances I found are ordinary fans including the appliances with the 'air cooler' sign on them.

I have started looking in Home-Pro, Central, Carrefour and all the others. I was told that I am wasting my time because there is no such a thing in Thailand as a mini air cooler. Some suggested to check the big electrical appliances shop on Sukhumvit road. Has anyone seen such a thing in Pattaya. If I can find a very small one I might be prepared to buy it n Bangkok and carry it with me to Pattaya.

Purifiers, ionizers and the like are also welcome as long as they blow cool air..any suggestions?

Thank you for your prompt answers.

Just wanted to add I am not looking for a portable air conditioner as I prefer a natural environment especially at night when I get cold easily even with a fan sometimes. What I'm trying to do is to just be able to keep my window shut to keep the noise level down from outside and manage to breathe reasonably fresh air without getting bitten by a number of mozzies as I live in the countryside.

Do you think the Clarte model is sufficient for a decent sleep ir is it that bad?

I have found this Mastercool Evaporative Cooler on the net but it doesn't give any model description.

I have had the same problem. My wife has been and asked for it in a dozen shops, in Phuket, Korat and Pattaya. A portable air-condition we was looking for. Where you have a small removable unit inside, and there is a hose you put out the window, so the hot air go out.

The answers she get is; 1. We have never heard of it. 2. Sorry we don't have, and we don't know where you can bye one.

I had such unit in Spain, but that does not help very much, as I left it there, when I moved.

I've lived in hotter and wetter climes than Thailand,one thing the ACs I had was a de-humidify option on it,always used that.That alone used to get the temp or at least the humidity down,which made for a good nights sleep,like an open tap at times on the outlet pipe.

Always had 3 fans,on slow, one on ceiling two either side at bedtime,sort of cocooned that was quite effective too,when AC was not used.

Sounds like I have little choice..I really don't want to have a wall aircon unit and end up with banging headaches every day.

Perhaps I could order some state of the art thing from abroad. If I find anytying interesting I'll post it.

About 3 degrees cooler than the outside temperature was always the recommended setting I was advised on ,anything lower and it was like hitting a brick wall stepping outside.Have it on a timer,then let a fan take over later in the night.

I do remember seeing a portable cooler the other day. Can't remember where, but I am sure I will be back at the store and will try and find it. It was near the front of the store and was blowing out cool air. I remember looking at it and noticing the drip pan for the runoff.

It had to be at either HomePro/Works, Kanyong (cool store, should go there anyway), or Numchai (possibly PowerBuy). I visit these places several times a week as we are fitting out our new house. I will keep an eye out....

About 3 degrees cooler than the outside temperature was always the recommended setting I was advised on ,anything lower and it was like hitting a brick wall stepping outside.Have it on a timer,then let a fan take over later in the night.

Agree, I'm not a big fan of aircon anyway..forgot to say that I 've recently bought a tatami (japanese mat) made of rice grains and I must admit the smell it emanates is not that great..an air device would be helpful.. :)

I do remember seeing a portable cooler the other day. Can't remember where, but I am sure I will be back at the store and will try and find it. It was near the front of the store and was blowing out cool air. I remember looking at it and noticing the drip pan for the runoff.

It had to be at either HomePro/Works, Kanyong (cool store, should go there anyway), or Numchai (possibly PowerBuy). I visit these places several times a week as we are fitting out our new house. I will keep an eye out....

Thanks a lot for dropping some names. I hope it won't rain as I can now sift through the whole of Sukhumvit stores..

I saw some devices at Boonthavorn that look like portable air coolers. They hook up to a water supply, but don't blow mist out like those fans do. I could not get a good description, but was also in a bit of a hurry. They have 2 models, both a little over a meter high. Might be worth a look....

I saw some devices at Boonthavorn that look like portable air coolers. They hook up to a water supply, but don't blow mist out like those fans do. I could not get a good description, but was also in a bit of a hurry. They have 2 models, both a little over a meter high. Might be worth a look....

Thank you. Last Sunday I found some of the air-coolers that match your description. This was at PowerBuy in south Pattaya. They looked very easy to use and move around, I must say I was tempted also by their low cost. The sales assistant who helped me make a choice told me with all honesty that the air coolers are not a good option for the exact reasons explained in this thread by another poster. I opted for a discounted Scana air purifier with which I got a free electric fan that collects dust. 9,900 Bath in total, not bad. Now I can sleep a lot better. Thank you all very much for your help! However, if I ever hear of mini an air purifier combined with an air cooler I will definitely be interested to try it out..