Installed Win 7. Want To Revert To Revert To Vista.

bapak

Situation is this:

Had Vista.

Installed Win 7 (legit.) as an upgrade following compatability test.

Installation went ok. No apparent problems.

On first startup, got message that a BIOS update is required and start up will not continue.

Ot this time not in a position to have update done.

Can I /How can I revert to my original Vista?

I can't imagine a scenario where reverting back to Vista would be less hassle than upgrading your BIOS.

You might be stuck without a floppy drive and unable to use the Windows BIOS install tool? If so you can use a USB thumbdrive.. You have access to the internet to get the new BIOS, you have a USB port, do you have a thumbdrive? It's a 2 minute process..

I remember a window flashing up during my Win7 installs saying something to the effect "upgrade your BIOS to its latest version.." Fortunately in my case it wasn't necessary.

Good luck.

The issue the OP is facing probably has something to with Windows 7 Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) being incompatible with ACPI. By disabling ACPI in the BIOS, it may be possible to get Windows 7 up and running (don't quote me on this one). Still, it's better to update the BIOS than to disable ACPI features anyhow.

The issue the OP is facing probably has something to with Windows 7 Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) being incompatible with ACPI. By disabling ACPI in the BIOS, it may be possible to get Windows 7 up and running (don't quote me on this one). Still, it's better to update the BIOS than to disable ACPI features anyhow.

Well, that's what Google told me too, but I wanted to hear from the OP :)

welo

well, that sucks!

I didn't do any other Win7 installs yet than my own, so I didn't even know that there might be issues like yours. I am puzzled.

What laptop resp. motherboard do you have? I'm curious, maybe I will google a bit if you give me your specs.

welo

Have now updated the latest BIOS but situation unchanged.

It won't change until you do a re-install. Have you done this yet?

I am away from home at present (where the machine is) .. will reinstall and advise Monday.

Also. welo, will brief you also on Monday.

Hi.

Is Windows really THAT stupid these days..????

I had the identical issue on 10+ computers at my office. Those carry the sticker "Designed for Windows 98/NT", yes, THAT old. They run Ubuntu 9.04 which is a 2009 Linux OS. Same problem - upon start of the OS a message came up saying "ACPI: BIOS age (1999) fails cutoff (2000), acpi=force is required to enable ACPI".

No BIOS update available for the machines, however Linux was intelligent enough to deliver the solution to the problem right along with the error message - "acpi=force is required to enable ACPI".

All i had to do was to append exactly that, "acpi=force", to the kernel line in the boot script (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and everything works just fine. And even without doing that the system would still boot and run fine, just upon shutdown it wouldn't power off by itself.

Doesn't Windows offer a similar possibility? If not.... have you ever considered Linux..?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

The Windows 7 install issue seems to be more complex than I originally thought. It seems that there might be other reasons that could trigger a 'ACPI not compliant' message. Check out this thread.

Just a rough sum up of things I've read:

* Updating the bios should be step number one on older computers

* Playing around with the ACPI options (turning features on and off) might help finding a bios configuration that'll work. First of course one should make sure all ACPI options are ENABLED (especially ACPI 2.0) to assure that the BIOS is working at its full 'potential'. But it seems that sometimes disabling the one feature or the other might help too. Maybe some BIOS feature is implemented badly (not following the specs exactly) and this causes Win 7 to fail.

I am not sure whether any change requires to restart the setup process from the beginning.

* Disabling ACPI completely (if the BIOS supports it) might work, too. Requires a restart of the setup process for sure. This has already been stated by supernova.

* Sometimes the culprit is a different one, such as memory configuration. There are reports that removing all but one memory chip during setup allowed the setup to succeed. The memory can be re-added later.

To the end user who is affected this seems just very annoying. However, I guess most Win 7 installs on modern hardware run very well. It has always been both strength and weakness of the PC platform (and Windows) to have such a wide variety of hardware components available. One of the weaknesses is that variety brings instability.

I cannot really comment whether these problems are due to shabby work on MS' part or a necessary move to a more modern and stable OS.

I'm just very glad that my install went smooth like a baby's butt :)

welo

I am away from home at present (where the machine is) .. will reinstall and advise Monday.

Have this morning done a clean install. Situation unchanged.

Will now work on some of "welo" suggestions.

Have this morning done a clean install. Situation unchanged.

Will now work on some of "welo" suggestions.

Struck GOLD... In default BIOS settings for ACPI.. everything was disabled. Left all disabled but enabled ACPI HPET Table.. Works fine now

Thanks to all who contributed advice.

* Sometimes the culprit is a different one, such as memory configuration. There are reports that removing all but one memory chip during setup allowed the setup to succeed. The memory can be re-added later.

welo

This is an interesting one -- I've heard of this as well.

However, I've never had to remove memory chips to get Windows 7 up and running though.

EDIT:

Struck GOLD... In default BIOS settings for ACPI.. everything was disabled. Left all disabled but enabled ACPI HPET Table.. Works fine now

Just saw that you had it sorted out. Congrats!

Edited by Supernova

Hurray!!! Let's throw a party :beer:

Btw did you have to re-run the setup process after changing the BIOS to make it work?

welo

Hurray!!! Let's throw a party :beer:

Btw did you have to re-run the setup process after changing the BIOS to make it work?

welo

I first upgraded BIOS... No change.

Then done a new clean install of Win 7.. No change.

Then made the ACPI changes in the BIOS.. and worked.

• 1 month later...

Put together 5 Desktops now with Win 7 and not a single issue with any of them. 2 of them ran 64 bit mode. Could be an issue with older hardware though. Updating the BIOS shoud have sorted that though. As many have suggested, I think it's a BIOS configuation problem. Just needs a little "tweek" here and there. Good luck.

PS: congrats on solving the issue as well.

Edited by newtronbom