Khao Yai Weekend Trip From Bkk

ashacat

Hello,

I will be driving to Khao Yai this weekend with my girlfriend and her father. This will be my first trip to the region and have a couple of questions....

We are looking for reasonable quality accomodation (around B2,000-B2,500 per bungalow/room a night) in nice surroundings and are planning to do alot of walking etc. Does anyone know of a nice place that fits the bill? (We may also bring our mountain bikes, so somewhere with bike tracks would be a bonus).

Also I will be driving from BKK, does anyone know of any shortcuts or recommended roads/routes?

Any other advice or places that are particularly worth seeing?

Many Thanks in advance for any help.

Hope these answers help:

1. Accomodation:

try agoda, your budget fits:from

THB 1,382

per night Kao Yai Grandview Resort

2. Short cut distance: google map but i highly suggest bring a handy navigator it helps a lot.

Khao Yai is very interesting to visit, was there for couple of times and best place to visit is khao yai national park, atmosphere is really far from busy bangkok. why not try renting big tent for family and stay in camping site..if you love walking then that national park is very ideal, surely you'll enjoy the fresh air and rise and low tracks..

of course night safari adventure would be also nice to experience..

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply.

Am I correct in assuming that you cannot stay in the actual national park (unless you camp)?

If so where is the best area to stay if coming from BKK? We don't wat to be in the middle of a noisy town, but would like the option of a quiet bar/restaruant nearby.....

Thanks.

The are around Pak Chong is great for a visit, there are a lot of hotels along road to Khao Yai, I stayed at one owned by a German food ok. They will also arrange tours of the park all day or half you can drive yourself around but with a guide you will get off the beaten path.

Pak Chong is a small town with a good night market and also eat at the Riverside Cafe very good food and a guy who lives across the river will play his sax on accasion. I cannot give exact directions but it is on the road behind bus station if it is still in business someone will know.

On the road to KhoaYai are a lot of cafes roasting chicken and pork for sale, thinking about this makes my mouth water.

I don't think there is short cut just take the highway to Korat.

Also on the road to Korat is a lake with cafes selling grilled fish and what ever this is very good as well about 20 KM from Pak Chong.

Thanks Moe, so around Pak Chong sounds like the best place to stay. That lake sounds nice too....

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel/resort around PakChong. Looking to spend around 2000-2500 Baht per night?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Am I correct in assuming that you cannot stay in the actual national park (unless you camp)?

If so where is the best area to stay if coming from BKK? We don't wat to be in the middle of a noisy town, but would like the option of a quiet bar/restaruant nearby.....

Thanks.

Accomadations are available in the park itself. Here is the number to call in Bangkok to make reservations in the park:

02 562-0760. If you want to "rough it" a bit there are two camp sites in the park and they rent tents. If you decide to camp I would try to avoid the weekends as the camping areas get extremely crowded at that time. When we go we always camp but I know when you drive to the main entrance from Pak Chong there are many resorts on the road leading into the park. You might stop by a travel agent in Bangkok and get a few names of the resorts in the area. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks.

Accomadations are available in the park itself. Here is the number to call in Bangkok to make reservations in the park:

02 562-0760. If you want to "rough it" a bit there are two camp sites in the park and they rent tents. If you decide to camp I would try to avoid the weekends as the camping areas get extremely crowded at that time. When we go we always camp but I know when you drive to the main entrance from Pak Chong there are many resorts on the road leading into the park. You might stop by a travel agent in Bangkok and get a few names of the resorts in the area. Good luck.

Try Greeny Resort ...good food , clean rooms and close to the national park too ...huge space attached with an activity park , will have a good time :)