Entering Thailand With A New And An Old Passport

Here we go again..

I have read quite a few threads about the procedure when transfering my "extension of stay" from an old to a new passport. I understand that once I have my new passport I will have to go to Chaengwattana, bring both passports, 2 copies of all used pages in them both, fill out a few forms and wait for them transfering the stamps.

This would be almost hassle-free if I had a new passport issued from the swedish embassy here in Thailand.. but now I am going back to Sweden and I figured I should make the new passport when I am there. My question is really not about the transfer of the "extension of stay" but instead it is regarding the time I'll get back to Thailand.

What do I have to think about when entering the Kingdom again? Which passport should I present to the immigration officer at Suwarnabhumi (new, old or both?) Are there any other documents I have to get and present on arrival? Do I write the re-entry permit number from the old passport on the arrival card as usual? Just want to be sure not to screw up my non-immigration-ed and the permission to stay..

regards,

Dunder

Edited by dunder

I had transfer the entry stamp into the new passport, the visa from my consulate still in the old passport.

I need to present both passports for the time been, when I have a new visa into the new passport, I will not need the old passport.

My card is in the new passport, the old passport only use is to show I still have a 1 year visa.

For whatever reason, you decided to make a new one while in Sweden, your home officers at the passport officer should know to stamp on the Old passport "Cancelled without prejudice" and when you get to bkk, just hand the 2 passports to the Immigration officer, he/she will just put the appropriate stamp on the new one.

Then you will need to keep the old one around till your next visa renewal so that the numbers and data on the new one will be entered at the Immigration department.

All the information data on the new one will exact as the old one, as in there was no change of name.

It sounds like there is nothing really to worry about.. i'll just make sure the swedish passport officer knows I have a visa and important stamps for my extension of stay in Thailand. I figure they know how to deal with these issues in Sweden. Thx

Just thinking: The only problem you could have is, if the passport department want to keep your old passport.

I am nearly sure when I renew my French passport, they did keep my old one.

For my Australian passport they did not, just cut a corner in the front of it.

Just thinking: The only problem you could have is, if the passport department want to keep your old passport.

I am nearly sure when I renew my French passport, they did keep my old one.

For my Australian passport they did not, just cut a corner in the front of it.

That should not be a problem.. At least I have been able to keep my old passport in the past. They just make a few tiny holes in the old one and let you keep it together with the new passport :)

Edited by dunder

I could be in a similar position with my UK passport, I am considering renewing it when I'm next in the UK, as it's much cheaper.

I just wondered with my extention of stay and re-entry permit in my old passport would it be problem free enough to justify the effort, or should I renew in Thailand and save the hassle whilst paying the UK Government more than I need?