Why Are The Workers At The Us Embassy So Rude?

Everytime she calls them or goes into the embassy she always confronts me later and asks me why they were so rude to her? She wants to know if they are getting paid enough or even if they are not getting a good lunch. What should I tell her?

Everytime she calls them or goes into the embassy she always confronts me later and asks me why they were so rude to her?  She wants to know if they are getting paid enough or even if they are not getting a good lunch.  What should I tell her?

You should tell her to get their names discreetly, and then make complaints about them to their higher aboves. Anonomously might have to be the way though, coz I assume shes fixing a visa and u don't want to effect that.

and that their just p.ricks who are rude because they think they can be.

When i was interviewed w/ my wife there we had this 30ish 200lb Lady Falang.

She was abosutely steamed i was marrying a mint 19 y/o 90lb thai girl.

So she is grilling me "Why do want to marry this girl" on and on and on...

Finally I said "OK you want the truth". She says "Yes". I said "I want a girl

that wont blow up to 200lbs after i throw a ring on her".

Somethings in life are just priceless :o

Just tell her that that's the way Americans are. :D

This guy may be talking about the people who you get forms from and also get information true?? If that is the case then these are not americans but indeed thai people.

I am from America and I am not at all rude!! You have rude people from all over the world. Not just the United States Sir :o

Where are you from Sir?

:D

This guy may be talking about the people who you get forms from and also get information true?? If that is the case then these are not americans but indeed thai people.

I am from America and I am not at all rude!! You have rude people from all over the world. Not just the United States Sir :o

Where are you from Sir?

When i was interviewed w/ my wife there we had this 30ish 200lb Lady Falang.

She was abosutely steamed i was marrying a mint 19 y/o 90lb thai girl.

So she is grilling me "Why do want to marry this girl" on and on and on...

Finally I said "OK you want the truth". She says "Yes". I said "I want a girl

that wont blow up to 200lbs after i throw a ring on her".

Somethings in life are just priceless  :o

Years ago I met a Kiwi guy with the same attitude.He was very wealthy and in his mid 50's.His Wife that he wanted a visa for was 30. Now this guy was getting the same type of shit.If I remember correctly his words went along the lines "If you think that I am going to marry somebody as old and with the same attitude that you have, then you are sadly mistaken madam.Now, I want to speak to your boss!"Priceless.BTW, he's still married and that was 10 years ago!

Where are you from Sir?

Where are you from Sir?

Don't be shy, Rickie. Come on, lad, spit it out - you can do it; we're on tenterhooks, waiting.

Scouse.

I think most people who work in offices and have to fill out forms all day for a living can get to be quite rude,(Immigration office?. Job burnout and dealing with twits all day long can change a person. I've encountered rude people in many different Embassys. You should see what it's like trying to upgrade my license at the Coast Guard office. Lot's of kow towing involved to make them feel superior. Just a part of life if you want to get the job done.

Well here I go again trying to actually put works in my reply.

The employee's at the US Embassy should be happy they have a job in LOS, both the local Thai's and the State Department employee's from America. I agree that a telephone complaint sometimes helps, but not always. I would give it a try, you never know something might be done. Just don't give your name, you don't want them to think you are a complainer.

All Americans are not bad, we are no different than anyone else in the world. Of course not everyone thinks that, but what the heck you can't please all the people all of the time.

Well here I go again trying to actually put works in my reply.

The employee's at the US Embassy should be happy they have a job in LOS, both the local Thai's and the State Department employee's from America.  I agree that a telephone complaint sometimes helps, but not always.  I would give it a try, you never know something might be done.  Just don't give your name, you don't want them to think you are a complainer.

All Americans are not bad, we are no different than anyone else in the world.  Of course not everyone thinks that, but what the heck you can't please all the people all of the time.

Maybe the guys are happy,but I could imagine that a fair few of the women get a little anti at times.. :o

I guess, if you had a choice would you like the frontline immigration workers for your nation to be :

i) bitchy and tough or

ii) friendly and leniant

I'd have to say "i". It would be nice if all imm. workers were "fair and objective", but that's just not reality.

I guess, if you had a choice would you like the frontline immigration workers for your nation to be :

i) bitchy and tough or

ii) friendly and leniant

I'd have to say "i". It would be nice if all imm. workers were "fair and objective", but that's just not reality.

I firmly believe it is a culture that develops in many Govt. departments.The NZ Customs dept used to be full of real pricks..I knew half of them! It was the culture of treating people like <deleted> the first day they joined the service.

They also must see some real ######s as well and that must take it's toll after a while.

The last fellow I dealt with at the US Embassy was actually quite helpful and friendly. He was an African-American man - about 50ish. I doubt if he had any objections to my pretty Thai wife! :o

The reputation of the embassy workers is terrible and I would be very hesitant about going to them for help if I were in any sort of trouble, but my personal experiences have all be pretty positive.

My wife thought that the US Embassy was really ugly - I agree, it looks like a cheap county jail! :D

Where are you from Sir?

I should have qualified the statement by saying "American officials". Or even further to " American officials in Bangkok", or even better, "Some American officials in Bangkok" or "some American officials in the Bangkok consular services" or "some American officials in the Bangkok consular services on the second shift' etc etc.

By the time I would have found a statement that would be Politically Correct, and widely acceptable, it would have lost any meaning as an expression of a feeling.

Thai personnel is instructed by their employers, and learn from them by example, in how to address the supplicants that try to enter the only "civilized" country in the world.

You, yourself, may be a fine example of politeness, I cannot evaluate that. I can only take the words of the OP and compare that to my own experiences with American officials, not only here in the Bkk consular services, but anywhere accross the world.

I you haven't noticed: where I come from is clearly indicated under my avatar. Sir !

Where are you from Sir?

I should have qualified the statement by saying "American officials". Or even further to " American officials in Bangkok", or even better, "Some American officials in Bangkok" or "some American officials in the Bangkok consular services" or "some American officials in the Bangkok consular services on the second shift' etc etc.

By the time I would have found a statement that would be Politically Correct, and widely acceptable, it would have lost any meaning as an expression of a feeling.

Thai personnel is instructed by their employers, and learn from them by example, in how to address the supplicants that try to enter the only "civilized" country in the world.

You, yourself, may be a fine example of politeness, I cannot evaluate that. I can only take the words of the OP and compare that to my own experiences with American officials, not only here in the Bkk consular services, but anywhere accross the world.

I you haven't noticed: where I come from is clearly indicated under my avatar. Sir !

Yes, qualifying your statement would have been better. Don't get upset because of a few jerk offs who have treated you bad in the past. I'm a nice guy and I think you would agree if you met me. BTW, my Mom's in Belgium as we speak. Cheers :D

Everytime she calls them or goes into the embassy she always confronts me later and asks me why they were so rude to her?  She wants to know if they are getting paid enough or even if they are not getting a good lunch.  What should I tell her?

Sounds like she is talking to some Thai workers over there.

I once had a similar experience at the Australian embassy, before they outsourced the visa applications.

My gf could not understand why the Thai workers were being so rude to everyone.

At a social function one night, I happened to meet the Australian Ambassador to Thailand, and during the course of a brief conversation I asked him about his thoughts on the subject.

His response?

"They are trained to be that way. We get a lot of riff-raff here appying for visas, and we have to weed out the scum"

I responded by asking if he thought it was fair that everyone, scum or not, were treated the same way, and he just shrugged and walked off.

Not a topic he wanted to discuss. :o

I once had a similar experience at the Australian embassy, before they outsourced the visa applications.

My gf could not understand why the Thai workers were being so rude to everyone.

At a social function one night, I happened to meet the Australian Ambassador to Thailand, and during the course of a brief conversation I asked him about his thoughts on the subject.

His response?

"They are trained to be that way. We get a lot of riff-raff here appying for visas, and we have to weed out the scum"

I responded by asking if he thought it was fair that everyone, scum or not, were treated the same way, and he just shrugged and walked off.

Not a topic he wanted to discuss.  :o

I'm not defending these <deleted> but...I think if we had to sit at a desk all day and process forms from people who don't really study up on the procedures involved in visa applications, it would wear on us too. Thank gawd for forums like this where we can all help each other on the correct procedures involved and our own experiences :D

:o

I agree, they are rude. But consider:

1. The steps for marrying a Thai citizen are posted on the wall with a big sign that says "Read this before asking about steps to marry a Thai". Does anybody read the notice? No. Imagine how you would feel the 15th time you are asked that day what was required to marry a Thai citizen.

2. My dog ate my passport. My passport got washed and was totally destroyed. I am an american citizen but I don't have any proof. How often can you hear that said without getting angry?

3. For the Thais who work there: I spent 4 years in college, learned English and have this good job. I'll never go to the U.S. This girl I know is a BG is getting married to an american,and he is taking her to the U.S. I'm jealous so I'll treat her rudely.

4. Because they can.

If you really feel you are insulted you can ask for the consulate officer. Explain clearly to him/her why you feel the person who waited on you was rude. It may not work, but you might just get an apology.

One possibility is cultural differences rather than rudeness.

I have observed they are very loud and blunt. Not really rude, but more straightforward and not very sympathetic. To a Thai, this could be interpreted as rude. We Americans are used to competition, directness and even confrontation. This is NOT the Thai way. So a misinterpretation feeling they were rude is understandable.

I have had two experiences at the American Embassy in Bangkok. The first was when I wanted a visa for my wife to go and attend my parents 50th wedding anniversary. We were standing in a very long line of Thai people awaiting a visa. A young American man asked me if I was a US citizen. I replied to the positive and he took us directly into the office. I think it took two days for the visa to be approved.

The second was when I was trying to help a Thai female friend to get a tourist visa. She had paid the fee and had all the necessary paperwork. She owned property in Thailand and was most certainly going to come back. We patiently waited in line and finally was called to one of the windows. Standing in that window was a fat cow. The cow told me that this was none of my concern and to go sit down. Her interview lasted all of three minutes. My friend came back in tears and if not for her telling me mai pen rai and dragging me out of there that bitch at the window would have gotten a piece of my mind. I was totally ashamed to be an American at that point.

One word - Americans

Americans are many things, but one thing they are not -- as a people -- is "rude". Overly-friendly/familiar is more often the case.

As I said before, "khaaratchakarn" (civil servants) around the world are all rude -- even here in Thailand where being polite is normally de rigeur. Insignificant, underacheiving people given a tiny shred of authority...same story whether an embassy worker or a security guard.