Farang Dead After Playing With Fire Extinguisher

george

It could be worse news.

Guesthouse burns down killing all inside - Owner claims drunk guests had emptied the fire extinguishers. Parents of the dead demand justice

And the world would be blaming the guesthouse owner and Thais in general for not providing fire fighting equipment.

A harsh punnishment.. but then so is burning to death because some half-whit thought letting off the fire extinguishers was a laaarf.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be worse news.

Guesthouse burns down killing all inside - Owner claims drunk guests had emptied the fire extinguishers. Parents of the dead demand justice

And the world would be blaming the guesthouse owner and Thais in general for not providing fire fighting equipment.

A harsh punnishment.. but then so is burning to death because some half-whit thought letting off the fire extinguishers was a laaarf.

:o You hit that on the head. Dead right. :D

Can someone explain what gas is used for air conditioners? Is it harmful if there is a leak in the room middle of the night while one is sound asleep?

Well AC home systems mostly use R22 which is a CFC gas, they work by the gas changing temp proportionally with pressure.

ie:

high pressure= high temp

low pressure= low temp

the gas is compressed and run thru a valve where it drops in pressure and cools rapidly and flows thru a core where the core then has a air stream running thru it which cools the room.

now the gas R22 isnt toxic if inhaled, but they also use ammonia in larger systems as R22 is very expensive and does evil things to the ozone layer. So if they system is R22 charged and leaks i wouldnt worry too much as they usually use them in systems where 1-2kg of gas is needed, the larger systems using ammonia well run for the hills.

With R22 being phased out and the HFC replacements being very expensive, there are some cheap and very nasty substitutes, mainly LPG Liquid Propane Gas, now it makes things worse as its heavier than air and is extremely flamable.

more info here

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/refriger...ies-24_145.html

Sorry to hear about yet another tragic death in Thailand. Hope his family and friends come to terms with their grief over time.

Sadly death in mysterious or adnormal circumstances can happen anywhere in the world, but the local media in Thailand have a habit of discovering some highly unusual cases. Thailand is unusual.

I am sure there are enough mysterious deaths in Thailand to provide the material needed for a brand new series of CSI Bangkokok or CSI Thailand ...

Sad to see that yet again in this forum some people are making insensitive remarks about a tragic event.

Pathetic lot, some of you are !

Jem

Congratulations - of some 40 odd posts yours is the only one worthy of printing. The rest would appear to be morons endeavouring to upstage other morons. Pathetic is exactly the right word.

eddieold

I didn't see in the story what type of extinguisher it was.

... Halon, especially, is expensive and only good in a closed environment because it works by displacing Oxigen.  Not likely to be used in a Hotel.

Ah, but if you consider that Halon has been banned in other countries then that would indicate that a Bangkok citizen woud be able to purchase older extinguishers at a steep discount. Thus it is no surprise to find Halon extinguishers in a Khao San guest house and perhaps countless other establishments througout the Kingdom. To a Bangkok Thai it will not matter that it is inappropriate for the situation, only that there is a fire extinguisher of any sort where requested. And if I remember correctly from my more youthful days, rooms in the Khao San guest houses were somewhat a closed environment.

If the guy died that means the fire extinguisher was most likely HALON.  Halon is not toxic, but it displaces oxygen.  The guy probably died of suffocation.  You can get a high off of Halon.  A few years ago in the Marines there was a Fire Fighter that died from huffing the Halon extinguisher.  I myself have tryed it before, ignoring the risks, because I was a stupid ingnorant bastard.  It is much like Nitrous, except worse.  Halon is mostly banned from use in the US by the Evironmental people.  But, the militairy uses it still extensively.

Yep, Server rooms are protected by Halon. If the alarm goes off you have 20 seconds to get out of the room. if you don't make it you need to stay as close to the bottom as possible.

You have a 20 % chance of survival..

But you won't burn your fingers of course :o

There will always be the wisearses cracking funnys about lives being lost, acting like hard men.

Think about this next time. What if it was your brother, son or best friend. Would you tolerate anyone mocking his memory???

My condolences to this guys family.

Another sad story of a young tourist playing a little too hard. He must not have realised that the fire extinguishers in Khao Sarn road were originally installed on the Ark, and unlike their modern counterparts, are extremely toxic......but that's what getting hammered does to you :o

Well. He did get extinguished. Didn't he?

My god making fun of someones death how rude!

Another sad story of a young tourist playing a little too hard. He must not have realised that the fire extinguishers in Khao Sarn road were originally installed on the Ark, and unlike their modern counterparts, are extremely toxic......but that's what getting hammered does to you :o

Well. He did get extinguished. Didn't he?

My god making fun of someones death how rude!

Whose god?

Don't fire extinguishers use CO2 (normal fire) or some non-flammable foam (chemical fire) to prevent exactly this sort of thing from happening?

Hi there, few fact's, Im Chief Firefighter in the Cruise ship industry and plaing with those every day.

Co2 is to be used for Flameable liquid or Electrical fires and dont even try to point it to your friend or to your own body as results are rather bad.

If you pointed to you or your friend, he\she will suffercate to dead and frozen same time as CO2 is cold -70 Decree Celsius

Foam (AFFF) is usually used in the accomodation these days as it's human friendly and has amazing cooling effect and should not be used against Electrical fires in any cases as it's contents is 90% of water.

there is no such a thing than flammable foam, all foams are non-flammables.

Dry-Power is more likely the one they used as that is most common used in older buildings in TH.

Poor guy most likely been sprayed by powder and as he inhaled that his lunges become full of it.

Just let you know what ever extiquisher you are using it is leathal and should not be used against human beens.

Next time if some one wanna play brank with they friend, pls use fire hose,, that is normal water and i havent heard any one who will drown in the hotel room yet....by using fire hose... :o

Let's play safe.

suprised no one has corrected us for making fun of a tragedy

I'm surprised noone's pointed out that there were Kiwis involved... :o

Thanks for that. :D

I was wondering when you'd get around to reading it mate. :D

Cheers!

:D

Anyway, all jokes aside, it is tragic when anyone dies from an accident, drunk or not... and if you read through all the posts you'll glean some good advice and knowledge about fire extinguishers.

I work in the oil & gas industry, and I undergo fire fighting re-training every 12 months, so I know those things are not to be messed around with. :D

Sheeeeeeeeeesh, what a total idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again another NZ being so frickin spaced out. Seems the cats from NZ are wackos.

Think about it, who in the heck cares to play with Fire Extinguishers let alone wanna blast it off and no fire around for miles, unless either some burglars were around and a fight ensued or the heat was so bad this turkey thought it might be something to cool the room down.

Anyway, yep, HE definitely got his wish granted EXTINGUISHED PERMANENTLY. I am sure now that HE is carrying the Fire Extinguisher on his back AS HIS ASSIGNMENT while HE wings around the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as a GHOST FROM THE PAST.

Daveyo :o:D

Yes sad, and also sad were some of the disrespectful comments that followed by other members. No doubt he was loved by family and friends back home and the costs to get his body back home would have been great.

Re old fire extinguishers, if this one in question was anything like the chemical composition of CTC (Carbon Tetra Chloride) we used to use, it was proven many years ago that people had quickly died from acute liver failure very soon after skin (and therefore systemic) or inhalation exposure to the CTC, and having alcohol in the blood stream at the same time.

Cheers from down under.

Edited by Jing Joe