Car Rental

plachonubon

Hi All,

Will be arriving in CM mon 1st feb and staying in the area for a week or so with my mum.I want to rent a car while we are there, can anyone reccomend a good ,reliable company? we will arrive at the airport.

Many people (Thais) have told me not to drive in CM as it is dangerous I have driven in Bangkok and Issan for years with no problems....are they over reacting?

Thanx.....

Negative comments about driving to CM are justified. I drove up from Bangkok last year .It was horendous, the highway in places is breaking up with no warning signs to avoid the holes.Reckless behaviour of drivers doesnt help either.Your sitting on 120 km and people go past you like your standing still. Usually pick ups with a load of people in the back. Where are the police ? sitting at road blocks ! Northern Wheels have always given us a decent deal .Check their web site for comparison.

Negative comments about driving to CM are justified. I drove up from Bangkok last year .It was horendous, the highway in places is breaking up with no warning signs to avoid the holes.Reckless behaviour of drivers doesnt help either.Your sitting on 120 km and people go past you like your standing still. Usually pick ups with a load of people in the back. Where are the police ? sitting at road blocks ! Northern Wheels have always given us a decent deal .Check their web site for comparison.

Sparkel your post is off base. The OP is arriving by air not driving to Chiang Mai. The OP wants to know about driving in Chiang Mai not to.

I always use POP rent a car or A's in the city center near Taepae gate. Very good reliable service and around 1000thb a day. Driving in Chiang Mai is easy, you should have no problems if you have driven in BKK.

I have used them also and very happy with them, I had to buy a headlight bulb in Mae Hong Son and they refunded me for it when I gave them the reciept.

If you have driven in BKK you will be fine in CM.

If you need (or like to drive) a big SUV, take northtwheels with their ISUZU mu-7. Really cool cars and they got a lot of them.

For a cheap toyota vios try journey www.journeycnx.com.

For two people a motorbike is still the best to go sightseeing in the city, but of course not as comfortable for the elderly.

driving here is no problem and it's fun compared to BKK. You never can lose way here because the city is easy to navigate.

I always use POP rent a car or A's in the city center near Taepae gate. Very good reliable service and around 1000thb a day. Driving in Chiang Mai is easy, you should have no problems if you have driven in BKK.

I have used them also and very happy with them, I had to buy a headlight bulb in Mae Hong Son and they refunded me for it when I gave them the reciept.

If you have driven in BKK you will be fine in CM.

Yup POP is a good place.

Rented a car for a month there last August and ended up only needing it for 3 weeks. When I handed the car back they gave me a voucher for a weeks free car rent without me having to ask for it.

Came in very handy when I had to get bodywork done on my own car after the garbageman backed into it :)

Periodically I have guests that come in for a little longer stay , say 2 - 3 months, and would like to know if there are places that

rent cars second hand.

Anyone know about a place that rents , monthly , used cars and what kind of car you would get for how much per month?

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Periodically I have guests that come in for a little longer stay , say 2 - 3 months, and would like to know if there are places that

rent cars second hand.

Anyone know about a place that rents , monthly , used cars and what kind of car you would get for how much per month?

G

At POP payed 15000 for 30 days (500 a day), got a new Yaris automatic

Edited by love2u

rent cars second hand.

G

Thats nice to know.

But was asking and looking for something in a full sized 4 door car and USED as in second hand. Something that might be on the cheaper side than renting a new one of comparable size.

Thanks

rent cars second hand.

G

Thats nice to know.

But was asking and looking for something in a full sized 4 door car and USED as in second hand. Something that might be on the cheaper side than renting a new one of comparable size.

Thanks

Most cars are not new when you rent them.

Driving in CM is easy but it depend on yourself of course.

Dangerous can be only e.g. you drive in the Valley Mae Rim and if fresh raining, there are some precipitious curves and sleppery

only remember it's same as in whole Thailand:

In England they drive leftright side,

on the continent Europe at right side

and in Thailand everywhere !!!

North Weels you can trust, fair price and punctual delivery at the airport.