Helmets On The Islands.

Helmets on Samui  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i wear helmet only cause it is the law and i can't be bothered to que up and pay a fine. just for the sake of a light plastic bit of rubbish over my head. but i think every indiviual should be able to make the choice about their own safety. yes educate them. then if they crash and die. or worse savive with a 1 million baht hospital bill then. a the thai's say som nomb nar.

These polls are a waste of time, as proven with this poll showing that the majority of people wear a helmet. Even a traffic copper, bored enough to look at what's going on on the roads knows thats crap.

Is it really necessary to lie to a poll like this. If you feel that guilty about the helmet issue then i think you'd best wear one.

So your'e saying that all the posters who responded by saying that they wear helmets are liars?

What a very arrogant and ill-informed assumption.

No it's not. If you can't see the majority of people don't wear a helmet then go and get an eye test. Then tell me this poll is a true reflection! It's nothing to do with arrognce and assumptions when it is so clearly visible to the naked eye.

Or, you are the only person on the island that can see the majority wearing helmets :)

These polls are a waste of time, as proven with this poll showing that the majority of people wear a helmet. Even a traffic copper, bored enough to look at what's going on on the roads knows thats crap.

Is it really necessary to lie to a poll like this. If you feel that guilty about the helmet issue then i think you'd best wear one.

So your'e saying that all the posters who responded by saying that they wear helmets are liars?

No it's not. If you can't see the majority of people don't wear a helmet then go and get an eye test. Then tell me this poll is a true reflection! It's nothing to do with arrognce and assumptions when it is so clearly visible to the naked eye.

Or, you are the only person on the island that can see the majority wearing helmets :)

I take it then, that like myself, you are ever-diligent in your use of an helmet whenever you ride your motorcycle, Carmine, even just down to the local minimart? That gives us both the right to vote an honest YES in this poll, and set a good example for the rest of them who might not be as obsessive about it as we are, eh? :D

Good friend of mine is just in hospital with a triple fractured hip/pelvis, safely secured helmet didn't help the impact the speeding motorcycle had which the rider lost control of and smashed into him sideways - full impact!

The other one, always wears a helmet riding bike, he fell off a coconut tree, trying to climb it - drunk, broken leg, broken middle-and ring finger and heavily bruised ribcage and a heaven of a hung over!

Well, each one of them cracked about my suggestion with the Abrahms...

Edited by Samuian

I take it then, that like myself, you are ever-diligent in your use of an helmet whenever you ride your motorcycle, Carmine, even just down to the local minimart? That gives us both the right to vote an honest YES in this poll, and set a good example for the rest of them who might not be as obsessive about it as we are, eh? :D

Sean, you are making an assumption arn't you. Fact is, i voted no. because i don't always wear a helmet, and i don't think i said i did. But as always, i am trying to be a better man :D

Sean, you are making an assumption arn't you. Fact is, i voted no. because i don't always wear a helmet, and i don't think i said i did. But as always, i am trying to be a better man :D

To fall back on an old cliche from the stage, as actor to actor, all I can think to add here at this point is, Break a leg, mate! :D

---o0o---

I bought the Honda on December 4th, with a colour-matching 400 baht helmet, and the first and only time I rode it (sans helmet) was the King's birthday, the 5th - just up to the local minimart for some durries and a carton of Chang Lite - only around 500 metres.

On the Sunday, I was cautioned about it, not by the police but by a well-meaning elder bloke who saw me ride back from his office window the day before we met. He told me I should wear an helmet whenever I rode the bike, no matter what time of day or night, or how far or how fast or how well I knew the route.

"Why?" I asked, "when everyone else up rides up and down the road on left or right, and more than half don't wear helmets at low speed when they're just going to the minimart?"

"Because you are farang." he replied.

It's true. We might get jibed and ridiculed half the time, but the kids see us as an example in some ways, not just because I am so muscular of physique and so good looking that everyone thinks I'm a movie star, but because I'm farang, simple as that.

That's why I wear the helmet even when I polish the bright-red duco on the little Honda. It's to set a good example for the little kids to follow. That's the only benefit my 400 baht helmet offers.

(also there's nowhere on this new racey-looking Honda to strap it to the seat or put it in the basket, so the most practical place to transport the darn thing is on my blimmen' head, but that's off-topic :) )

Edited by SeanMoran

There are so many Helmets on the Island, you only have to walk round Tesco's to see them by the bucket load...

The only people who can enforce the law are the police. The roads are being sorted out maybe next we will have proper policing of them.

Whoosh, straight over the head... :)

Or, you are the only person on the island that can see the majority wearing helmets :D

Who said anything about a majority? If you read the OP it is a POLL :D Since when did 50% of replies constitute a majority of Farang riders driving around the island with helmets on? Strange logic :):D

Or, you are the only person on the island that can see the majority wearing helmets :D

Who said anything about a majority? If you read the OP it is a POLL :D Since when did 50% of replies constitute a majority of Farang riders driving around the island with helmets on? Strange logic :):D

Whatever mate

How many times do we need to be reminded before we learn to wear helmets as a matter of course?

It seems some of us will never learn. :)