Helmets On The Islands.

Helmets on Samui  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a resident and try most of the time to wear a helmet.

I'm sorry but what exactly is there to " TRY" to wear one ? You get on the bike and you wear a helmet. It aint rocket science is it, it is the law and the most sensible thing you can do. :)

I'm sorry but what exactly is there to " TRY" to wear one ? You get on the bike and you wear a helmet. It aint rocket science is it, it is the law and the most sensible thing you can do. :)

I think the poll is missing a few essential questions: i.e.

Do you wear a helmet with the strap done up?

Do you wear a helmet back to front?

Do you wear a helmet that fits?

Do you think that carrying a helmet on the handlebars counts as wearing one?

Do you count a plastic work site hard-hat as a helmet?

In my opinion a 'yes' to any of the above should be counted as 'not wearing one'

On a lighter note do you think the Motorbike hire shops have a competition to see how silly they can make a customer

look by giving them the wrong size helmet? Everyday I see some dopey farang riding around with their helmets half-way off their head. :D

You have a problem understanding English Dunc? I'm not houlier than thou and I know full well that wearing a proper helmet would be the sensible thing to do on Samui but I don't always wear a helmet all the time, even not a simple 250 Bhat one from Lotus, hence I try. Not anywhere near perfect but I can accept that for myself.

Edited by limbos

Moreover there was no classification for travellers, so the closest I could find to vote for was 'tourist'. What an insult!

---o0o---

Seriously, the wisdom of wearing an helmet depends on the crash, and the reactions of the rider in the crash. Mostly, an helmet will save your head from a nasty cracked skull, but sometimes it can break the neck that you would have had to put that head on your shoulders with if you were not carrying all that extra baggage on your noggin at high speed.

Edited by SeanMoran

Can we add:

"I'm an idiot here on holiday and I take my small child/children on my bike with me and none of us wear a helmet!"

or

"I ride a scooter with one arm holding the baby/child, the other driving the bike"

The things I see daily here amazes me! But I wouldn't want to live any where else... :)

Matt.

the helmet issue,to each his own.If ya want to weqar A helmet it should be up to you.If you don't wear one it should be up to you.i've been riding since 1967,I don't wear one unless I have to.As far as accidents go.they are fiberglass.if you hit a wall hard your going to die no matter what.Or if your going at A lower speed when your wearing your helmet maybe you'll just end up brain dead.

Does mine count?

post-61130-1264640245_thumb.jpg

The Beer Drinking Helmet is a necessity for the thirsty. Whether it's the backyard, at the beach or in the parking lot, there are a multitude of ways to utilize your perfect Drinking Tool & Funny Drinking Gadget:

1. Insert two drinks of your choosing.

2. Insert the Drinking Helmet's Straws.

3. Sip it all up.

4. Repeat until intoxicated.

In my opinion a 'yes' to any of the above should be counted as 'not wearing one'.

What about hockey helmets? Are they safe enough?

I saw one guy on a motorcycle wearing an American football helmet (Buffalo Bills). I bet that does the job.

Does mine count?

post-61130-1264640245_thumb.jpg

The Beer Drinking Helmet is a necessity for the thirsty. Whether it's the backyard, at the beach or in the parking lot, there are a multitude of ways to utilize your perfect Drinking Tool & Funny Drinking Gadget:

1. Insert two drinks of your choosing.

2. Insert the Drinking Helmet's Straws.

3. Sip it all up.

4. Repeat until intoxicated.

:):D :D Like it so much ! Please where can i get one???

What about hockey helmets? Are they safe enough?

I saw one guy on a motorcycle wearing an American football helmet (Buffalo Bills). I bet that does the job.

That was me wearing the hockey helmet.

American football helmet, also me (Dallas cowboys).

It actually a proper helmet with a face mask.

in any case as the likely hood to hit any anti-tank mines is very low, I highly recommend the M1A2 Abrams for safe family rides or for the trip from the favorite watering hole back home!

post-28064-1264671168_thumb.jpg

... but not on the new tarmac, please :) !

i moved off the island to patters after 8 years, i never wore helmet in Samui, here its compusary so i wear it. just get used to it its an import from the UK so its bloody hot but may as well wear nothing as a wear a lotus hat.

the helmet issue,to each his own.If ya want to weqar A helmet it should be up to you.If you don't wear one it should be up to you.i've been riding since 1967,I don't wear one unless I have to.As far as accidents go.they are fiberglass.if you hit a wall hard your going to die no matter what.Or if your going at A lower speed when your wearing your helmet maybe you'll just end up brain dead.

you've got more years than me; riding since 78. Feb 2008 hit side-on when riding at less than 30km/h, hit the road face-down and then unconscious. Full face helmet saved me from either death or brain-death, instead just a hospital stay for neck and leg injuries.

Visor and chin-guard practically destroyed on impact. Had been a open-face helmet rider for years, only recent years changed to ff.

I'm all for 'freedom of choice' - but fine till it happens to you.

These polls are a waste of time, as proven with this poll showing that the majority of people wear a helmet. Even a traffic copper, bored enough to look at what's going on on the roads knows thats crap.

Is it really necessary to lie to a poll like this. If you feel that guilty about the helmet issue then i think you'd best wear one.

These polls are a waste of time, as proven with this poll showing that the majority of people wear a helmet. Even a traffic copper, bored enough to look at what's going on on the roads knows thats crap.

Is it really necessary to lie to a poll like this. If you feel that guilty about the helmet issue then i think you'd best wear one.

So your'e saying that all the posters who responded by saying that they wear helmets are liars?

What a very arrogant and ill-informed assumption.

People are driving motorcycles here like bicycles in Western summer camps. Even some old men are wearing nothing more than shorts and slippers. They simply enjoy the hot weather and don't care/forget about the consequences.

Good thread, PS. It might help someone to sharpen the awareness of the danger and therefore maybe even reduce bad consequences.

There are so many Helmets on the Island, you only have to walk round Tesco's to see them by the bucket load...

The only people who can enforce the law are the police. The roads are being sorted out maybe next we will have proper policing of them.