New Tequila Bar In Pattaya

rodentwarrior

The back bar in Shenanigans is being changed to a loosely themed "Mexican" style Margarita bar. They are using their experience from "Coyote on Convent" in Bangkok that the group also own. The food menu was launched last week, and I sampled a few items which tasted pretty good. They stock Petron Tequila amongst others, but not being a Tequila drinker cant comment on that. I understand that Wednesday night will be "Ladies Night" where they can drink Margarita's for free.

Cheers

Edited by ruffneck

Mexican at a place called Shenanigans? Gag me with a spoon.

Can't say I've ever had Mexican food at an Irish pub. I doubt they know the difference between rellenos and enchiladas. Shenanigan's is a bit expensive, but not a bad pub. I will try it out over the weekend. I'm only expecting things like nachos, taco salad and chili, not a real Mexican restaurant menu.

The bar is very low to be the "best" Mexican in Pattaya; let's see if they can do that. I agree the location is not encouraging and who needs a yuppie Tequila bar anyway? What we need is some more authentic places such as Bangkok has now (Monitas and T y S, even Sunrise would be a huge step forward here).

The bar is very low to be the "best" Mexican in Pattaya; let's see if they can do that. I agree the location is not encouraging and who needs a yuppie Tequila bar anyway? What we need is some more authentic places such as Bangkok has now (Monitas and T y S, even Sunrise would be a huge step forward here).

Well if the margaritas are as good as the one's I drink in Coyote (Silom) there's probably a market! Best I've ever had - although my experience is limited!

Drinks and food. Different topics. BTW, anyone can make good margaritas at home with half decent tequila.

Actually the best grade tequila should be drunk neat, never in a cocktail.

Again who cares. There has been tequila in Pattaya for ages. We are waiting for the REAL DEAL Mexican food.

Tequila Reef has some great Margs. Sure Jingy will chime and say how horrid the food is.
Tis true. Its scary bad. Edited by Jingthing

Drinks and food. Different topics. BTW, anyone can make good margaritas at home with half decent tequila.

Actually the best grade tequila should be drunk neat, never in a cocktail.

How true. I used to run a restaurant a couple of years ago for a short while (long story...) and we did testing with different tequila brands for our Mango Margaritas. Turned out under double blind testing conditions that the cheapest tequila tasted best in the mix. The most expensive one (still not a prime tequila by far) was best to drink neat.

Menu online - though it is a big file.

Margarita Menu

Thanks for posting the menu. Big menu, which surprises me, even bigger prices, which doesn't surprise me. 355 baht for tacos or burritos, 375 baht for enchiladas, and 295 baht for chili? The ingredients for these dishes are easily sourced in Thailand, so there's no reason to charge these kind of prices. I prepare all of these at home for a fraction of the price. By way of comparison, you can get a 2 item combo plate at new Bangkok restaurant, Los Cabos, for 295 baht. You would expect a restaurant in central Bangkok would be more expensive than Pattaya.

On the other hand, the rellenos for 175 baht seem like good value for the money, as poblanos, from what I've heard from other restaurant owners have to be imported.

I'll still give it a try, as I like Shenanigan's, even if it's expensive.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

It is very important to the Haitian earthquake relief effort that Shenanigans can realize a massive profit. I am sure their food is better than anything that can be found in California or Mexico City, so I suggest they increase their prices to at least 500 baht for a burrito because Mexican food is very rare and exotic here. Mexican food in an Irish bar in Thailand cooked by Thai not Mexican cooks is even more rare and exotic; I liken it to the Hope Diamond. Therefore, I don't think 5,000 baht is out of line for a couple dining on chips, tacos and drinks. If the price is too high for you, I humbly suggest you go home to a more affordable country, like Switzerland. I am concerned that their salsas will be too spicy for me. I do hope they can tone it down to a level that most Swedes would enjoy. Ole!

post-37101-1265825124_thumb.jpg

Burritos in Pattaya. Priceless?

post-37101-1265825107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Jing was that a taco bell? That looked better than anywhere I have seen in Pattaya. 7 times the 5000 baht a night dining out I can fly back to San Francisco & grind on real killer Mexican in the mission district(or anywhere in California) I agree it is like buying a brooch at what the farang markup charge is for Taco or Burrito supplies just to make & would also agree I have not seen anything even remotely close to a semi authentic Mexican joint here yet. Someone could probably make a killing out here if the could open up a heavy number taco company from Oregon out here. Their burritos are to die for! Except for the part of being the one to open a business in Pattaya.