Hotels Racist Towards Thais

A Thai travel agent friend of ours always has to be mindful of my wife's nationality when booking us hotels for our usual 2 night stay in BKK prior to returning to the UK as many do not accept bookings for Thais, in particular Thai women. The usual excuse is that they are 'full', this happens too frequently with the same hotels to just be a coincidence. Also, last week we met a guy from the UK who stayed at the Diamond Cliff in Patong Beach in Phuket not so long ago and a married couple from Europe were checking in at the same time. They had paid for a package in advance via a European travel agent but when it came to checking in at the hotel the husband was told that although they could accept him as a guest they could not accept his wife as she was Thai. He complained profusely but to no avail so they had to stay at a different hotel.

In my opinion this is a quite disgraceful way for Thai hotels to treat their own people. I can understand that they may want to discourage certain elements but this goes far beyond that and would be viewed as racist in most european countries. I know hotels have a right to refuse to take a booking and not to give a reason but there are limits.

Has anyone else got any examples?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some internet cries of 'racists!' are bullshit, too. I personally followed up on just such a case at the Mae Ping Hotel last year. When all the documented facts were laid out, it was clear the claim didn't hold water, and that there were other possible marital issues involved...

That time....I know racism happens other times for real, too. Never for me and my wife at hotels, but others, sure.

To me, discrimination based on nationality is terrible, and deserves to be given broad attention, if true.. I would be happy to bad-mouth any hotel, ad nauseam, who had such clear practices.

Therein lies part of the problem for me. I don't know who to believe because I know a certain percentage here are willing to lie to give credibilty to their claims, knowing that it's not easy to follow-up and verify the facts. And all the accusers are anonymous here, of course. Only one's integrity to count on...

Unless I feel confident in the credibility of the poster, I take such claims with a grain of salt.

I have forwarded the OP's post to the Manger of the Diamond Cliff in Patong Beach in Phuket for any comment they may like to add to this thread, or as a response to the OP's accusations of racism.

Ajarn, well done that man, taking it straight to the top, perhaps what we should all do in such situations until their is some policy change.

Change was never brought about by just moaning on here, take the complaints direct to the head of the hotels!

Some internet cries of 'racists!' are bullshit, too. I personally followed up on just such a case at the Mae Ping Hotel last year. When all the documented facts were laid out, it was clear the claim didn't hold water, and that there were other possible marital issues involved...

That time....I know racism happens other times for real, too. Never for me and my wife at hotels, but others, sure.

To me, discrimination based on nationality is terrible, and deserves to be given broad attention, if true.. I would be happy to bad-mouth any hotel, ad nauseam, who had such clear practices.

Therein lies part of the problem for me. I don't know who to believe because I know a certain percentage here are willing to lie to give credibilty to their claims, knowing that it's not easy to follow-up and verify the facts. And all the accusers are anonymous here, of course. Only one's integrity to count on...

Unless I feel confident in the credibility of the poster, I take such claims with a grain of salt.

I have forwarded the OP's post to the Manger of the Diamond Cliff in Patong Beach in Phuket  for any comment they may like to add to this thread, or as a response to the OP's accusations of racism.

Quite so, and I would be very interested to hear their official line as I have no reason to disbelieve the person who told me re the DC. I do understand that verification is difficult in these circumstances and I'm sure that certain establishments rely on this. Fortunately my wife and I have been spared any uncomfortable situations as our travel agency friend has avoided the BKK hotels which operate this way.

I actually had the reverse recently, they only wanted a copy of my wife's ID Card, didn't care ffor my passport - too much trouble with Australians  :o

Isn't that similar to the broadly witnessed policy that TG's get carded all the time, whereas us non-thai's often are not requested anything?

I only got carded when stopped for traffic fines, but never in any clubs, whereas my Thai friends always do...

I think it depends on the appearance of said lady.

in what way exactly ?

a snake tatoo from neck to ankle perhaps :o

Lets be honest many guys on here don't know the difference between what a decent and non-decent lady looks like.

my own personal opinion:

A lady is a still a lady no matter what she does, where she comes from, what family she belongs to or whatever she wear.

A lady should be treated with respect at any time any where.

So in my case, there is no such thing as a decent or a non-decent lady.

Explorer :D

I think it depends on the appearance of said lady.

in what way exactly ?

a snake tatoo from neck to ankle perhaps :o

Lets be honest many guys on here don't know the difference between what a decent and non-decent lady looks like.

The door is open. Please tell us in 50 words or less. Just want to know everything about Thai women.

The Cholchan Resort, just north of Pattaya is a place to ovoid if you have a Thai wife or girlfriend.

I booked a double room in ’02, shortly after I got married, and they refused point blank to let my wife go to our room, unless I paid a joiner fee off 1000 Baht per night.

Admittedly I checked in one day in advance as she was traveling down from Buriram to meet me.

Unfortunately I paid by debit card weeks before when making the booking and after a row with the reception staff and later the manager, I had to book additional accommodation with no refund.

Not sure exactly what they said to my wife on arrival, but she said no way did she want to stay there after the way they insulted her, and insinuating she was a prostitute, which she had never been in her life.

Didn’t give up the room completely though and used it to house our dirty washing for 2 weeks to stop them re-letting it.

Shame, because it is a really nice hotel and I had stayed there on two previous trips.

Mike.

It has only ever happened to us once about 12 years ago. We had just finished some travelling and we were in Banglampoo. I asked my wife to look for accommodation while I minded all our bags. She came back within 5 minutes and said I found a place but they won't allow Thais to stay there. She protested and showed her Aussie passport to prove we were married. Upon checking in I made a point to bring it up. Their reason was that in the past when Thais had stayed a lot of things would get stolen so it was safer for the farangs by baring them altogether. I still said it was wrong none the less.

Other than that never again. I would hate to think of what to do if you had already prepaid and they tried that on.

there is no shortage of women from the mainstream of society who , these days , dress in a fashion that only a few years ago would have marked them out as , shall we say , not from the mainstream.

there is no shortage of mini skirts , revealing and provocative clothing , tattoos and piercings etc. on younger thais these days ,especially in bangkok , and thais who certainly dont work in bars.

thais are less afraid of expressing their individuality these days.

its ridiculous to mark someone out like that. although i'm sure it happens.

its just snobbery, persecution , jealousy and scamming by hotel staff and managers who should know better , but obviously dont.

its normal for thailand.

this has happened to me before, they try to take her ID card, try to charge extra "security" fees, etc, usually my wife argues with them for a few minutes, shows her ID card with my last name on it, and they give in. Either that or we go find another hotel.........

A Thai travel agent friend of ours always has to be mindful of my wife's nationality when booking us hotels for our usual 2 night stay in BKK prior to returning to the UK as many do not accept bookings for Thais, in particular Thai women. The usual excuse is that they are 'full', this happens too frequently with the same hotels to just be a coincidence. Also, last week we met a guy from the UK who stayed at the Diamond Cliff in Patong Beach in Phuket not so long ago and a married couple from Europe were checking in at the same time. They had paid for a package in advance via a European travel agent but when it came to checking in at the hotel the husband was told that although they could accept him as a guest they could not accept his wife as she was Thai. He complained profusely but to no avail so they had to stay at a different hotel.

In my opinion this is a quite disgraceful way for Thai hotels to treat their own people. I can understand that they may want to discourage certain elements but this goes far beyond that and would be viewed as racist in most european countries. I know hotels have a right to refuse to take a booking and not to give a reason but there are limits.

Has anyone else got any examples?

Yes your right...............Thai businesses do not like Thai customers,at least the big multi-national ones don't ( small businesses don't like customers full stop). We have been subject to snide remarks from staff in good quality hotels on numerous occaisions. The bigger and more expensive the hotel,the more chance you have of being on the receiving end of abuse. Normally we combat this by presenting my wifes British Passport,when the hotel asks for her Identity card. Other firms have this attitude toward their own Nationals as well. My wife will not fly Thai Air International for that very reason for that very reason.

this has happened to me before, they try to take her ID card, try to charge extra "security" fees, etc, usually my wife argues with them for a few minutes, shows her ID card with my last name on it, and they give in. Either that or we go find another hotel.........

If we stay in Hotels out of Bangkok (Hua Hin etc...), my wife uses her Aussie passport and speaks in English.