Got Pulled Over Because My Passenger Wasnt Wearing A Helmet.

swain

The amazing thing was I was not asked for my passport. To be honest this is the first time in 8 years that I have ever been pulled over. They told my passenger that the reason they didn't need to see my passport is that I had a 5 year drivers licence. They said that this is a good indication that everything else is in order. I wont argue with them and everything was in order but I didn't have it with me. They did not try to hit us up for a bribe and had us drive to the police department to pay a 200 baht fine. Curious, my passenger told me that they charged her only 200 baht because she was thai and that it would have been 400 for me. Can anyone verify this???

Sad to hear you have lost 200baht. My condolences, you only made one mistake , Being a falang in Thailand . :) See The police are continuing to make friends and influence the Falang tourist to come to the land of smiles in ressesion.

Being a Farang was not the mistake, not knowing the law was. Driver and passenger must wear a helmet. You can choose to wear a helmet and have no problems or you can choose to not wear one and risk being stopped and fined. You decide. 

Are you suggesting that Farangs should be exempt from the law? Or is it that you think it is some sort of persecution of Farangs? As far as I see it, Farangs are generally less likely to be stopped, but it is still a posibility. 

Sad to hear you have lost 200baht. My condolences, you only made one mistake , Being a falang in Thailand . :) See The police are continuing to make friends and influence the Falang tourist to come to the land of smiles in ressesion.

The land of smiles in what? :D

Seriously, why come out with this snide shit? They pull over both Thais and Farangs. They're only trying to deter idiots from increasing their chances of serious head injuries in the inevitable slew of accidents that happen here on a regular basis. The rest of it is irrelevant really; wear a helmet and don't get fined for not wearing a helmet - You have to be a bit thick not to work that out, surely?

Perhaps if you had half your skull bashed in after flying head first into a wall, you might have a different opinion. But that doesn't ever seem to concern anyone. Is every motosai rider in Chiang Mai bulletproof or something?

Strange indeed.

Yep, 200฿. Both of my tickets were because the wifey did not have her helmet on... the 2d visit to the police station, the Sgt told me "400 baht"..I told him, "last time it was 200 baht"..He said, "Ok, 200 baht" with a laugh, the crook.

Always had to pay at the station after they took my license, no on the spot fine, I think due to the fact that all of 'em get a % of the fines...kinda like the daily tip.

Both riders must have helmets ON.

I took a Thai friend on my motorcycle and he refused to wear an extra helmet I keep with me because "it would mess up my hair." Further, like many Thais, he assured me that only the driver had to wear one. One kilometer down the road I was stopped by the police because Pretty Boy didn't have a helmet. He also didn't have 200 Baht. You know who paid. Afterwards, I then told my passenger to walk home. :)

A lot more Thais get pulled over than farangs!

You pay double the fine for "on the spot fine" instead of wasting your valuble farang time at the police station.

And yes your 5year DL acts as ID card.

If you have a 5 year DL it's better than carrying your passport with all the time.

We have one of those police red boxes that cost 500 baht per month on the outside of our office. I don't know if it's standard but whenever one of our staff, including me, get a ticket, we pass on to the policeman who makes a daily visit and he sorts it out for 100 baht cash no receipt. :)

Edited by Loaded

The land of smiles in what? :D

Seriously, why come out with this snide shit? They pull over both Thais and Farangs. They're only trying to deter idiots from increasing their chances of serious head injuries in the inevitable slew of accidents that happen here on a regular basis. The rest of it is irrelevant really; wear a helmet and don't get fined for not wearing a helmet - You have to be a bit thick not to work that out, surely?

Perhaps if you had half your skull bashed in after flying head first into a wall, you might have a different opinion. But that doesn't ever seem to concern anyone. Is every motosai rider in Chiang Mai bulletproof or something?

Strange indeed.

Yes they are pulling over both Thais and Farangs but if this was a serious attempt to improve road safety would these same cops not also pull over the numerous drivers of both cars and motorcycles that jump the red lights every time they change? That surely would be a more beneficial but probably less lucrative action.

Yes they are pulling over both Thais and Farangs but if this was a serious attempt to improve road safety would these same cops not also pull over the numerous drivers of both cars and motorcycles that jump the red lights every time they change? That surely would be a more beneficial but probably less lucrative action.

not from what ive seen, theres always a red light runner or 5 when im out there

the BIB could raise the fine to offset the takings :)

Well I have never had a problem before.. and now that I know what to expect its not that bad either. 200 baht fine once in a while if I choose not to wear a helmet is not the end of the world. The time waste was more of a deterrent than the amount I had to pay. Helmets for all who travel with me.

try bangkok ! 500 baht minimum. Or you can discuss it for 30 mins and get away with 200.

Or obey the law.

Doesnt make a difference brother. Obey it, break it, they will fine you eventually either way.

I didn't think that was true of Chiang Mai. I don't know of anyone being fined for a traffic offense that they didn't commit. Do you? I was actually done once for not wearing a seat belt!!! Fair enough.

2 tickets in nearly 7 years - both deserved.

I would guess that the odds of getting an ticket for an offense you didn't commit would far exceed the odds of getting a  ticket for an offense you did commit, by a factor of 100 or more.

Not in my case, of course. :)

I would guess that the odds of getting an ticket for an offense you didn't commit would far exceed the odds of getting a  ticket for an offense you did commit, by a factor of 100 or more.

If you get stopped, I am told and are offered the 500 baht route....., suggest you offer 250 for a ticket to the policeman's ball....

The Police don't have balls here...

If you get stopped, I am told and are offered the 500 baht route....., suggest you offer 250 for a ticket to the policeman's ball....

The Police don't have balls here...

Q. Do you want tickets for the Policeman's Ball?

A. No, I can't dance.

A. It's not a dance, it's a raffle!!

(The old one's are the best.)

A lot more Thais get pulled over than farangs!

You pay double the fine for "on the spot fine" instead of wasting your valuble farang time at the police station.

The OP is in Chiang Mai. We don't pay in the street. Cop issues ticket and takes our DL. Next day we pay Thai price.

Yup. Thai girls don't like wearing helmets. If it's after hours I let them ride witihout one, but during the day I insist they do. I don't like the hassle of going to the police station. I had to do it twice in one day to learn my lesson. Both times it was because my Thai rider didn't wear a helmet. And, the one time it WAS my fault of crossing the moat road on my motorcycle, instead of driving 2 km out of my way in a big circle, I was ordered to pay 400 baht whick my Thai girlfriend got lowered to 200 baht because she came with me.

the one time it WAS my fault of crossing the moat road on my motorcycle, instead of driving 2 km out of my way in a big circle, I was ordered to pay 400 baht whick my Thai girlfriend got lowered to 200 baht because she came with me.

Better that being creamed by a songtaew as one poster here will attest to :) Lots of broken bones, and a long time in hospital. A fine you richly deserved! Many a Thai has been smacked by a vehicle doing the very same thing.

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet or doesnt insist that their passenger wear one to me is an irresponsible fool. As foreigners back in our own country it would be unthinkable not to . Visit a hospital and see the after effects of a head hitting the bitumen and you will know why they are compulsory. How much do they cost ? very little to save a life or permanent damge, come on set an example, sorry just my opinion as one who has seen the aftermath of someone not wearing one.

If the BIB should start wearing a helmet, may be the rest would follow the gesture.

Every single day, I see police driving small or big bikes not wearing helmets by themselves.

I collected many pics from them already, once even Thaksin on a 1000+ cc Honda.