Most Insane

stevemarkwell

Let me preface this by saying that your stories about hookers or anything degrading Thai people in general is not what I'm looking for here. I figure, I wasn't in the country all that long, so you guys that are living there now must have way better stories than I do, having spent a lot more time over there.

I was on a train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. The front door of the passenger car was open to let some air in, which was nice. Most of the people in the car were asleep, but I was awake, looking out the window, even though it was dark out. Then I noticed something a little alarming -- we were slowing down, but the car in front of us wasn't. In fact, we had become detatched, and the rest of the train was leaving us behind. We rolled to a stop, then started to roll backwards, as we were on a slight incline. Then there was a thud from behind, and we began to move forward again. We eventually caught back up with the rest of the train, which had stopped to wait for us. We were slammed back together, and on our way again. Ten minutes later it happened again, only it was the car behind us that came loose this time. Through the whole ordeal, a few people woke up, saw what was going on,and calmly went back to sleep. I figured maybe this sort of thing happened a lot, so it was no big deal, but I talked to some locals in Chiang Mai, and they seemed to think it was pretty out of the ordinary.

Another thing that happened was that while hiking in the rainforest, I removed over 80 leaches from my person over about a 4 hour period. One fat sucker was on my inner thigh, a mere inch or two from my right testicle. I am so glad no one was around to see or hear my reaction to that one. Again, I figured the leach thing was normal, but the local villagers were really freaked out by it.

So what about the rest of you? I know far stranger things than these have happened over there.

Edited by stevemarkwell

Some memories are a bit vague (for various reasons), but being involved with a competition for the best dive from a 2nd floor balcony into the hotel swimming pool seems to rank right up there.

Definetely my younger, crazier days ...

I rode a motorbike across Samui on what was then a jungle track literally through a jungle. When I got home I had three black spiders 'attached' to my right arm on my blind side so i could not see them as I rode.

I was scared thinking they were poisonous and waited three hours for "symptoms" before deciding to get pissed on the beach, then waking up at 6am covered in sand fly and mosquito bites.

Those were the days.

Let me preface this by saying that your stories about hookers or anything degrading Thai people in general is not what I'm looking for here.Β  I figure, I wasn't in the country all that long, so you guys that are living there now must have way better stories than I do, having spent a lot more time over there.

I was on a train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.Β  The front door of the passenger car was open to let some air in, which was nice.Β  Most of the people in the car were asleep, but I was awake, looking out the window, even though it was dark out.Β  Then I noticed something a little alarming -- we were slowing down, but the car in front of us wasn't.Β  In fact, we had become detatched, and the rest of the train was leaving us behind.Β  We rolled to a stop, then started to roll backwards, as we were on a slight incline.Β  Then there was a thud from behind, and we began to move forward again.Β  We eventually caught back up with the rest of the train, which had stopped to wait for us.Β  We were slammed back together, and on our way again.Β  Ten minutes later it happened again, only it was the car behind us that came loose this time.Β  Through the whole ordeal, a few people woke up, saw what was going on,and calmly went back to sleep.Β  I figured maybe this sort of thing happened a lot, so it was no big deal, but I talked to some locals in Chiang Mai, and they seemed to think it was pretty out of the ordinary.

Another thing that happened was that while hiking in the rainforest, I removed over 80 leaches from my person over about a 4 hour period.Β  One fat sucker was on my inner thigh, a mere inch or two from my right testicle.Β  I am so glad no one was around to see or hear my reaction to that one.Β  Again, I figured the leach thing was normal, but the local villagers were really freaked out by it.

So what about the rest of you?Β  I know far stranger things than these have happened over there.

:D

Hope this doesn't qualify as "degrading' but I was once in an "after hours" club (where BGs went after the regular bars closed) when a Farang dressed in a tight red skirt slit up to his *****, a blonde wig, high heels, and a frilly blouse with a push-up bra came in. He walked over to our table, sat down next to my friend Mike, and asked us if we thought he looked sexy. By his accent I guess he was British. The most interesting reaction was how the Thai girls treated him. They acted like he was something dirty they didn't want to touch. Mike told him to buzz off, he wasn't interested. The guy got up and fluffed off. Tried hitting on several other men & women in the place until the bouncers firmly removed him from the club.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

i used to frequent a bar in pattaya ,on soi diamond, the buffalo bar ,most nights a young guy used to come and sit on he pavment outside ,and drink some black couloured liquid from an old tinned can ,after about 10 mins, he used to start howling like a dog does ,very strange thing to do !

I was on a train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.Β  The front door of the passenger car was open to let some air in, which was nice.Β  Most of the people in the car were asleep, but I was awake, looking out the window, even though it was dark out.Β  Then I noticed something a little alarming -- we were slowing down, but the car in front of us wasn't.Β  In fact, we had become detatched, and the rest of the train was leaving us behind.Β  We rolled to a stop, then started to roll backwards, as we were on a slight incline.Β  Then there was a thud from behind, and we began to move forward again.Β  We eventually caught back up with the rest of the train, which had stopped to wait for us.Β  We were slammed back together, and on our way again.Β  Ten minutes later it happened again, only it was the car behind us that came loose this time.Β  Through the whole ordeal, a few people woke up, saw what was going on,and calmly went back to sleep.Β  I figured maybe this sort of thing happened a lot, so it was no big deal, but I talked to some locals in Chiang Mai, and they seemed to think it was pretty out of the ordinary.

Sounds like they were removing carriages and shunting them around with a shunter engine. This is very common on the Bkk-Cmai route. Highly unlikely it would have just detached on its own accord, unless you were on the Chang of course? :D If it had become detached, it seems extremely fortunate that there was a shunter lurking behind you waiting to put you back together again. :o

I was travelling from BKK to Ban Phe ( going to Ko Samet ) on a minibus, all was quiet , then the South African couple next to me said " look at the driver... is he asleep..?"..

So I looked, and sure enough he was "asleep", well dozing in and out anyway ( more asleep than awake )... so I jumped over the seat, startling everyonr else who were also asleep and gave the driver a shake.

Anyway.. we made him pull over and made the driver and the co-driver (who was fast asleep), get some fresh air before carrying on... they both looked very sheepish :o

totster :D

That happened to me on a school bus in the States, only the driver managed to take the thing up on two wheels and knock out a couple street signs.Β  I think that woke him up.

Well I'm happy :D that my situation didn't get that far... :o

Any members remember the Battle of Pattaya in 1962 :D nignoy

I was -12years old then..... :D

On one of my early trips to Thailand many years ago the hotel I was staying in had to drain the pool for repairs. Despite this inconvenience a couple of us decided to utilise the sunbeds.

After a while I was awoken from my dozing by the sound of Thai chattering.

I sat up and there was a young Thai guy in the drained pool standing in a puddle of water whilst another older guy was handing down some electric cable. :o

I remember saying to my friend, "I hope that thing isn't live otherwise he'll be over here in a minute."

Edited by Baht Simpson

I was travelling from BKK to Ban Phe ( going to Ko Samet ) on a minibus, all was quiet , then the South African couple next to me said " look at the driver... is he asleep..?"..

So I looked, and sure enough he was "asleep", well dozing in and out anyway ( more asleep than awake )... so I jumped over the seat, startling everyonr else who were also asleep and gave the driver a shake.

Anyway..Β  we made him pull over and made the driver and the co-driver (who was fast asleep), get some fresh air before carrying on... they both looked very sheepishΒ  :o

totsterΒ  :D

That happened to me on a school bus in the States, only the driver managed to take the thing up on two wheels and knock out a couple street signs.Β  I think that woke him up.

reminds me of that old saying:

"when I die I want to go like my uncle, peacefully in my sleep - - - and not like the 30 screaming terrified passengers in his bus..."