Buying A Car

Morch

Hello,

We want to buy a car: small (staying in Bangkok for the near future, wife a new driver), automatic (re new driver), inexpensive (read local made Japanese), decent service around the country (at least in theory).

That narrowed it down to the Honda Jazz/City, Toyota Yaris/Vios, Mazda 2 territory (wife wanted the Suzuki Swift but their presence outside of Bangkok seems dismal). We don't care all that much for sport performance, coolness factor etc, more with reliability and practicality.

Toyota took a beating (at least where I come from) over the semi-auto gearbox, so wasn't keen on them, which left the Mazda and the Hondas. Took the Mazda for a ride, and it's indeed a fun car to drive, perhaps a bit too much fun for a new over-cautious driver - responds very willingly to gas and maneuvering. It's also a bit drab when it comes to the interior (even withing the low standards of this class), and naturally cannot compete with the ample space offered by the Jazz.

I know the older model of the Jazz, and it seemed like a better all-around choice, but then realized the New Jazz (and City) came with a new transmission, which as far as I can tell is basically pretty much the same as Toyota's (ie semi-auto, with all that implies). That put a bit of a damper on things, and got us thinking again (the Mazda 2 is full auto).

To be clear: we're talking about the top (or just bellow) version of each model. Price, financing terms and delivery times are similar (didn't get around to freebies, but it's not all that important).

So....is the New Honda transmission what I fear it is? (reading on the net it seems people aren't that happy).

Having thoughts about upping it a little and aiming at Mazda 3 or Ford Focus, but don't know much about them yet.

Any ideas and thoughts will be welcome.

5 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION WITH GRADE LOGIC CONTROL,

DIRECT CONTROL AND SHIFT HOLD SYSTEM

The above is from the website of Honda.

As far as I remember it is an auto box with some extra's

Electronically controlled.

Don't worry about the box, it is a good one.

http://honda.co.th/en/showroom/honda_jazz.html

Edited by hansnl

Having my 40th birthday, so perhaps a convertible/chopper are more appropriate to get the midlife crisis over with? :)

The previous model was a CVT transmission, which is also essentially semi-automatic, but a pretty good one (although somewhat more expensive & supposedly some long term maintenance issues). The new transmission is indeed called "auto" in Thailand, but it also comes with those pedal shifts etc, which makes me wonder: aren't these a semi-auto feature only?

Having my 40th birthday, so perhaps a convertible/chopper are more appropriate to get the midlife crisis over with? :)

The previous model was a CVT transmission, which is also essentially semi-automatic, but a pretty good one (although somewhat more expensive & supposedly some long term maintenance issues). The new transmission is indeed called "auto" in Thailand, but it also comes with those pedal shifts etc, which makes me wonder: aren't these a semi-auto feature only?

Honda City/jazz

both the previous CVT auto and existing hydraulic tourque converter autos are fully automatics. Not semi automatics. In addition they have manual mode for more sporty/active drivers, but no need to use this feature. Just choose "Drive", and its auto like any other auto. 5 speed.

Toyota Vios/Yaris

traditional hydraulic tourque converter auto. No manual mode as Honda. Just choose "Drive", and its auto like any other auto. 4 speed