What Thais Say About Farangs

greytown

How to behave in a foreign country. Well, I'd start by cleaning up your language. Then I'd think about how people are expected to behave when they've been invited into someone else's home.

This is the only post of yours that I've ever really noticed...and it has nothing to do with you being from Australia...but I think...well, I won't write that...I'll just say I know I wouldn't want to associate with you. You're rude.

Again, I only retaliate, I don't throw the first stone. I don't think "rude" is the right word.

As for being a guest in someones house, that's not right. I own land here and this is my home. I have to get a visa, that sux, but I'll be getting a Thai passport soon enough. It's going to make me laugh being called a fawang then. I think some people have a a seizure from the confusion of a white person being Thai.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see the point you are making in your post.

However, anti-social behaviour is poor form no matter what country you are in.

IF however someone carries themselves respectfully and mindful of others while in their home country, I would fully expect them to behave the same way here – So on that point I agree.

I also agree that we shouldn’t have to bend over backwards or bow down to do a little ball licking – Simple manners and consideration is always good enough anywhere.

As for using the excuse that you behave like an ass in Aus so its acceptable here because that’s your normal character and you are an individual who doesn’t wish to follow the masses, likes to stand out from the crowd and is proud of their individuality..

I’d offer that with that attitude it might not be long before you are having to do exactly that.

Anti-social behaviour is poor, so I'm told. Actually, most people think I'm a sociopath of sorts. Yet, I'm a very intelligent one, so people usually have difficulty arguing with me.

I've known for a long time I'm not a nice person. I'm the kind of person who will yell at you and give you the finger for cutting me off on the road, and then I'll do that to someone else on the next intersection and not give a f***. The point I'm making, I should not be judged and expected to conform in some way because I'm a foreigner. I should be just lumped in the huge group of all the other Thai assho*** out there.

I know people arn't going to like me for not standing for their "public relations" (aparently, "propaganda" is an offensive word on this forum) movie in the theatre, but it highlights a part of their own poor character, also, when they use the word fawang in their criticism of me. It's reasons like this that I don't mind testing people, because once you do, you really come to see how the majority of them never deserved your respect to begin with.

, but I'll be getting a Thai passport soon enough. It's going to make me laugh being called a fawang then.

So they thrown in a complete change of race with that Thai passport? How cool is that? :)

How to behave in a foreign country. Well, I'd start by cleaning up your language. Then I'd think about how people are expected to behave when they've been invited into someone else's home.

This is the only post of yours that I've ever really noticed...and it has nothing to do with you being from Australia...but I think...well, I won't write that...I'll just say I know I wouldn't want to associate with you. You're rude.

Again, I only retaliate, I don't throw the first stone. I don't think "rude" is the right word.

As for being a guest in someones house, that's not right. I own land here and this is my home. I have to get a visa, that sux, but I'll be getting a Thai passport soon enough. It's going to make me laugh being called a fawang then. I think some people have a a seizure from the confusion of a white person being Thai.

you don't own any land though really do you, your wife may own land with money you gave here, but no non Thai is allowed to own land and have you actually looked into how difficult it is to get a Thai passport?

In Thailand, quite a few farangs behave in a way that would make anydody, from any culture, shy.

And you think Thai people, with a far more conservative culture, will not mind?

For them, we're barbarians, I'm sure they're wrong but well, sometimes, I wonder... :)

IF however someone carries themselves respectfully and mindful of others while in their home country, I would fully expect them to behave the same way here – So on that point I agree.

I also agree that we shouldn't have to bend over backwards or bow down to do a little ball licking – Simple manners and consideration is always good enough anywhere.

As for using the excuse that you behave like an ass in Aus so its acceptable here because that's your normal character and you are an individual who doesn't wish to follow the masses, likes to stand out from the crowd and is proud of their individuality..

was that sociopath or psychopath ? just wondering

I'd offer that with that attitude it might not be long before you are having to do exactly that.

Anti-social behaviour is poor, so I'm told. Actually, most people think I'm a sociopath of sorts. Yet, I'm a very intelligent one, so people usually have difficulty arguing with me.

I've known for a long time I'm not a nice person. I'm the kind of person who will yell at you and give you the finger for cutting me off on the road, and then I'll do that to someone else on the next intersection and not give a f***. The point I'm making, I should not be judged and expected to conform in some way because I'm a foreigner. I should be just lumped in the huge group of all the other Thai assho*** out there.

I know people arn't going to like me for not standing for their "public relations" (aparently, "propaganda" is an offensive word on this forum) movie in the theatre, but it highlights a part of their own poor character, also, when they use the word fawang in their criticism of me. It's reasons like this that I don't mind testing people, because once you do, you really come to see how the majority of them never deserved your respect to begin with.

I don't think it will come as a big surprise that in some circles Thai's tend to generalise. The Farang Thing for instance. Recently on several occasions the size of my Penis has come in into the conversation. A conversation between girls I'm glad to say. Apparently some beleive we're well endowed. On several occasions recently in my presence the discussion about how all farangs like lady Boys has come up. I couldn't think of a good response seeing how several Farangs in the vacinity did indeed prefer ladyboys. Not that it really matters, I just happen to prefer Women :)

Anyway, most , if not all the time, I don't really care what thais say or think unless its Visa time ofcourse :D

Ignorance can be Bliss , just let them rabbit away, thats what I say. :D I do suspect they gossip more about each other though

Out of the 10,000's of times each poster has interacted with Thai's here in Thailand, they choose to stereotype the few bad experiences they have had and dream that Thai's are always talking bad about them

Believe me just because you are farang does not mean a thing.

I have seen many farangs I would care not to associate with as well.

Out of years and years and years in Thailand, I cannot even remember anything to this sort and I can speak Thai.

If it does happen it is a rare occurance, not the norm and usually a result of the class of people you are around

Maybe it has to do with your own personality or how you speak and your own mannerisms?

Maybe even where you hang out and with what kind of people?

What I can remember are things like yesterday when I show up at Home Pro with a whole bunch of measurements for 1" Diameter PVC, (like 16 2" pieces) all the way up to 8 foot pieces (to make a dog pen) and watch as a Thai worker saws up all the PVC for me to the exact measurements with a sincere smile on his face.

All I had to do when I got home was put it together

Those are the things I remember and that is why I love where I live

post-91890-1265100284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nio

It's interesting following this thread. I have, on a number of occasions, been subjected to insults by Thais speaking to their friends/people around them who believed I could not speak Thai. Depending on my mood, I may let them know I understand by stating something in Thai which will embarrasses them in front of the group – for example, some rude lady said something about the cheap farang to the clerk behind the counter because the clerk had the audacity to serve me next (as I was next in line). In my best Thai, I thanked the clerk for waiting on me and said I am glad to see there are still some Thais with manners – her friends gave a good laugh, she turned bright red.

The flip side of this equation, of course, is how much smack we talk about the Thais. I have one friend in particular that I hate to ride the BTS or MRT with because he is forever saying things about the Thais around us, be it comments on how women look, someone's inability to enter or exit the train properly, or how they can't seem to get on or off an escalator promptly – usually followed by a rude remark about the general level of intellect in the country.

My point is, we have all guilty of it when we think the people around us do not understand or aren't listening.

I also agree that we shouldn’t have to bend over backwards or bow down to do a little ball licking – Simple manners and consideration is always good enough anywhere.

As for using the excuse that you behave like an ass in Aus so its acceptable here because that’s your normal character and you are an individual who doesn’t wish to follow the masses, likes to stand out from the crowd and is proud of their individuality..

I’d offer that with that attitude it might not be long before you are having to do exactly that.

You say you are an intelligent person so you may want to use that intelligence to consider your own actions and problems. That would be a better way to spend time and effort than in judging others. After all we are all, or maybe most of us, capable of changing how we are ourselves but we have no control over others, so to even waste time thinking about it is usually an exercise in abject futility. Good luck with trying to change if you care to try.

Recently on several occasions the size of my Penis has come in into the conversation.

Well if you will whip it out on the counter at the local 7-11 and say " How's that for a cheesy bite? "........ :)

Recently on several occasions the size of my Penis has come in into the conversation.

Well if you will whip it out on the counter at the local 7-11 and say " How's that for a cheesy bite? "........ :D

Thats Just the point . It is a Cheesy Bite and pretty average at that :D

I suppose what I'm trying to say is its just not really worth listening to the Garbage spoken about us by the Average Villager who hasn't had a lot of dealings with us. They've all met the Stereotype Drunken Farang wandering around in his underpants learing at Girls and Lady-Boys . Were all farangs . End of . :) . I've given up trying to convince them otherwise . Most of the time they are arguing amongst themselves anyway and we don't come into the conversation

Once in the UK I was on a train coming back from London to Kent. Sitting opposite me were two Thai girls (students - late teen/early 20s). Sitting diagnally opposite them (across the aisle from me) was a teen age boy (farang - English). They talked about this boy in Thai for the 40 minutes I say opposite them. When I got up to leave at my staion, their bags were in my way. So, in Thai I said "Excuse me, this is my stop" in Thai whist pointing to their bags - the look on their faces was priceless. I could imagine afterwards saying , "What's the odds of finding sitting opposite to a farang stanger in the UK that can understand Thai?"

You left out the juiciest part... What were they saying about this kid for 40 minutes? :)

Once in the UK I was on a train coming back from London to Kent. Sitting opposite me were two Thai girls (students - late teen/early 20s). Sitting diagnally opposite them (across the aisle from me) was a teen age boy (farang - English). They talked about this boy in Thai for the 40 minutes I say opposite them. When I got up to leave at my staion, their bags were in my way. So, in Thai I said "Excuse me, this is my stop" in Thai whist pointing to their bags - the look on their faces was priceless. I could imagine afterwards saying , "What's the odds of finding sitting opposite to a farang stanger in the UK that can understand Thai?"

You left out the juiciest part... What were they saying about this kid for 40 minutes? :)

That's the crux isn't it? If it was all good you could have made that lads life and said to him " Those 2 birds want to make a sandwich where you're the corned beef and they're the Hovis."

Edited by mca

That's the crux isn't it? If it was all good you could have made that lads life and said to him " Those 2 birds want to make a sandwich where you're the corned beef and they're the Hovis."

Best case scenario certainly!...