Passport necess. for thai visiting laos?

Hello,

Does anyone know for sure if Thai nationals need a passport in order to enter Laos via the Friendship Bridge in Nong Kai and visit Vientiane for approximately three days ?  If by chance they don't need a Thai passport, are there other things they need?  Thank you for any information.

H2Obuffalo

If less than 3 days and only Vientiane they seem to be able to receive a border pass with just a Thai ID card.  Believe this is obtained at a Thai District Office, not at the border.  Believe this has been answered in the last few days so you might check other threads.

I can confirm, only Thai ID is necessary, no need for a passport. There is a border form to fill in (no need to go to the district office, they can do it near the bus station) and a fee to pay (300 bahts or something, I don't remember). If there is an overstay, there is a fine (200 bahts per day if I remeber well).

This is correct,,All a Thai needs is a Thai ID card and a picture,,you can get them at the bus station right where you turn off to go into Nong Khai,you can also park your car in the lot under shade and the price is 100 baht,you fill out the papers there and they take it into town to LAO consulate and return with it,and you only save 50 baht over the price of doing it your self and not the hassle of taking it your self and sometimes at the consul you have to be interviewed by the LAO cops.and you can get the paperwork done for a farang at the bus depot and then you have to pay the $30 US dollars when you clear LAO immigration at the end of the bridge. All very easy..

Thanks to everyone for all the information.  Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get the border pass after arriving in Norng Kai?  We won't get into N.K. until about 3 PM and I'm worried that if the border pass application/processing takes too long, the Friendship Bridge facilities might close.  We need to arrive in Vientiane the same day, i.e. this coming Sunday.  If I can't count on getting the border pass for my Thai companion quickly on the spot, I will probably need to go alone.  Right now all he has is his batprachachon (Thai ID card).  Thanks for any further info on how long it takes to secure a border pass after arriving in Norng Kai.

H2Obuffalo