Download Windows 7 Upgrade

Japhrodisiac

I am trying to purchase and download a legal upgrade to move my HP 2133 mininote from Vista (which I have always hated on this machine) to 7 professional. Since the netbook doesn't have an optical drive, downloading seems the easiest way to install. However, the Microsoft online store only seems to accept online purchases with a US address and zip code. I tried the Canadian site, but the online store component redirects back to the US site. The Thai site is all in Thai, and I don't want the Thai version anyway (if the defaults are all in Thai language).

Where can I download and pay with CC to purchase an upgrade to Windows 7? Seems like I've fallen through the cracks here.

Cheers -

Downloading does not install it AFAIK - you still have to make an installation disc. I would take computer to HP service and let them do the job, am sure they have software available. The last time I tried to us Microsoft for download they would not even accept my US address/card (I expect using IP trace to find I was not in US).

Do yourself a favour and buy a copy of Windows 7 from Pantib or our local PC dealer. There is a special pricing package for Southeast Asia only and I got my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for just over B 4000. If you want the stripped down version for netbooks only it is even cheaper than that.

Dont worry about having Thai characters showing up, although you may get a 'Thai version' the default language is English. 'Thai version' means you have the option to set menus in Thai later if you need to.

It's always better to have your OS on disk, because in the event of a problem, you can always boot with the Windows disk and do a re-install.

To get W7 on to your netbook without an optical drive use a bootable USB. There are instructions in the W7 forum on TV (obviously you need a machine with an optical drive to get the data on to the USB). http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2615228

I tried an upgrade from Vista, 'twas a disaster so I ended up doing a clean install. YMMV.

That isn't a "special pricing package for Southeast Asia," it's the OEM edition. Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-758-_-Product

I would say get the 64 bit edition (in fact I did before this edit) but you can't run 64 bit vista on that mininote, the Atom 270 only supports 32 bit instruction sets. They only have the 32 bit edition in Pantip anyway. As if nobody in Thailand has more than 3 gb of RAM.

Edited by TimeBandit2

The Windows 7 Home Premium OEM English 32 bit was 3,990 baht in Fortune last week.

I used for clean install over Win7 RC two days ago (only 28 more days before that will re-boot every two hours). Installed Microsoft Security Essentials at same time (do not install before getting updates - was unable connect until removal/update/re-install). Used easy transfer to get most things running as they were - it also has a good list of what software you will need to install. All-in-all much less trouble than I was expecting.

Downloading does not install it AFAIK - you still have to make an installation disc. I would take computer to HP service and let them do the job, am sure they have software available. The last time I tried to us Microsoft for download they would not even accept my US address/card (I expect using IP trace to find I was not in US).

Microsoft has a free to download tool whereby you can mount the downloaded version directly onto a USB thumb drive and install from there. That's what I had planned initially. Now it seems that I will have to get a cd original and then beg borrow a portable drive or use another computer to make a bootable USB stick. It also means that I have to find a store (in Samui) that sells an original Microsoft Windows 7 Professional copy in English. Would be nice to simply download and go but it seems that won't be possible.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I'm planning on installing Home Premium on a clean install over the RC next week. Any tips, Lopburi? Does the Easy Transer copy over your Word preferences, macros, custom dictionaries?

I believe it does but do not use Word enough to know. In my case it copied over 45gb of data (took about 45 minutes to USB drive - a lot of that was photos). As it gets near the end of importing the data back your display will revert to what it was before the install. Windows security suite is rated well and seems to be working good - had Kapersky anti-virus before. I did not expect a built in back-up in Windows 7 home premium but it is there.

My cheat sheet was remove Kapersky - run easy transfer to USB - Remove USB (causes load hang sometimes) - install Win 7 - attach USB - run easy transfer - install Microsoft Security Essentials - run updates - install software/run updates again. Windows had me download driver for Canon scanner (gave link and installed). Next day had me download driver of Acer card reader. Did not have to install any other drivers, for Acer 4736Z or Canon IP1980 printer and everything seems to be working.

Re: "Windows security suite"

lopburi3, did you mean Microsoft Security Essentials?

As my googling shows, the Windows Security Suite is a rogue anti-spyware program advertised and installed through the use of malware.

Please clarify!

Edited by Condo_bk

I stopped using Outlook (express is no longer supported and was not available on RC). Use Gmail online now for all email and very happy with it. I did try the Windows live system for a few days but never liked it but it is another option.

I used Word today to print an envelope and it had my return address right so believe Office settings were transferred.

I am planning to migrate from Outlook Express (which I use in Win XP) to The Bat! as it is compatible with Win 7. The problem is, how to transfer all my email setting and accounts. I have quite a few accounts: Google Mail, Google Apps, My Host Mail Server Accounts, etc.

It will be quite a task, to do it all by hand.

Any suggestions?

So let me get this straight, Lopburi. You ran Easy Transfer on the new installation before you installed the applications. And somehow the Office settings were transferred even though Office was not yet installed. Is this correct? (I want to be certain of the correct sequence).

You first run on old system to make the easy transfer file on an external drive - you then run on the new operating system and then install the software (easy transfer has a log file if you want to use it of what needs to be installed - although you may not want all). Expect most programs have default storage locations for such data and as long as you have used default setup on original most items should be transferred correctly.

The problem I have with the "Windows Easy Transfer" is that it asks me for a Password (for my old computer), which I don't have/remember.

I have now a window called "Protected Content Migration" with:

--

Computer name: < filled />

User name: < filled />

Password: < empty />

--

And whatever I try, it answered: "The password is incorrect."

Actually, I don't remember there was any password. I was logging to my old XP without a password.

Is there a way around it? Is it possible to find that password somewhere?

Edited by Condo_bk