Internet Reccomendation In Pattaya...

properperson

A total crock of Quai poopoo. 3G just a dream. Internet blocked by greedy politicians and infighting over whose brother gets the licenses as usual.

DTAC web dial up from Pattaya is just barely OK, same for AIS. I have both and switch as needed all over Thailand. No other portable alternatives.

Hardlines slow to acquire and costly. Sattalite or those other bandits unreliable. Welcome to Thailand.

Using your mobile to connect to the internet will give you a speed of 115kbps at best!!

Assuming you are in Pattaya have a look at what's available in Tukcom.

They have two or three choices.

I connect to the internet using Triple T as they now call themselves (TT&T) and have back up for when its down and for that I use a……………………….

SOLOMON EDGE SEGM-520 modem which gives me 460.8 kbps

I have both DTAC and AIS Sim-cards depending on whose performing best on the day.

Modem cost: Around 3000 baht

Surfing the Internet without Boundaries

The one of a kind Solomon USB EDGE Modem has a built-in USB interface, just simply plug it into any notebook or desktop computer and you will be able to get connected with the internet through the GSM network. Real-time business transaction, send and receive emails, browsing Web database…etc., all in your hands. With the help of Solomon USB EDGE Modem, you can maintain your top mobility, easy access to the internet no matter where you are. It can be used on

a train, in a subway, or in a car just like you are using a physical phone line!

The Most Universal Interface – USB

Solomon USB EDGE Modem is the first of its kind to make use of the USB interface for

the computer to connect to the internet. It takes the DC power directly from the USB interface so there won't be any charging device required.

Key Features

- Application: Internet (High Speed Internet Access up to 460.8 kbps), SMS, MMS, E-mail, Fax

- USB 2.0 interface (no battery required)

- Phonebook Editing (both on SIM & PC)

- Plug & Play

General Specifications

Frequency: Quad – Band GSM900/1800 MHz, GSM850/1900 MHz

Networks: GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM1800, GSM1900

Data Standard: EDGE Class 10, Multi-slot classes 1-9 up to 236.8Kbps.

GPRS Class 10, coding schemes 1-4 up to 85.6Kbps.

USB Type: USB 2.0 +5V DC (full speed)

SIM card interface: 3.0V interface

Operating Systems: Window 2000/XP Home/XP Pro

Dimensions (L x W x H): 109.3mm x 42.7mm x 17.7mm

Weight: 42g

Web-site:

http://www.solomon.co.th

I use Ji-Net 256/128, & although not that fast it is pretty reliable, i pay 995 bht per month

A mate of mine lives in Siam CC rd, he has true 8mb, & he swears by it, think he pays around a 1000bht a month as well

We use to have a dedicated CAT 2mb line at our office, but i think that was 2400bht a month, the landlord use to pay so i don't know the exact amount?

Using your mobile to connect to the internet will give you a speed of 115kbps at best!!

I have both DTAC and AIS Sim-cards depending on whose performing best on the day.

Do you get 460 kbps or 115 kbps?

Do you get 460 kbps or 115 kbps?

my wife gets 460 using a Nokia N73 as a modem on her machine using Dtac 199 + tax for 50 hours

i have a contract with Hutch and an E226 dongle which claims 3.1 but thats nonsense

it is much faster than the Nokia though

its 1000baht a month now for unlimited use

i have to use these for internet connection as i live in the wilderness where there is no phone line avaialble

I'm still confused. We're talking internet speed in Thailand right? I was thinking Hutch only promising EDGE speed - 160 kbps, yet you claiming "faster then Nokia - faster then 460 kbps". Because "faster then 460 kbps" is decent speed for thailand. It would be enough for a decent slingbox stream...

I'm still confused. We're talking internet speed in Thailand right? I was thinking Hutch only promising EDGE speed - 160 kbps, yet you claiming "faster then Nokia - faster then 460 kbps". Because "faster then 460 kbps" is decent speed for thailand. It would be enough for a decent slingbox stream...

heres what i have, judge for yourself:

http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/1x/postpaid/cop...p_winter_en.htm

i paid 16,900 baht last year for a years service and the modem

thts finished now so i pay 999 every month

i have been very happy with the service

quick speed result to singapore server using TV speedtest

Test against:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 819 kbps (102.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 60 kbps (7.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 952 ms

01 February 2010 15:01:17

Edited by timekeeper

heres what i have, judge for yourself:

http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/1x/postpaid/cop...p_winter_en.htm

i paid 16,900 baht last year for a years service and the modem

thts finished now so i pay 999 every month

i have been very happy with the service

quick speed result to singapore server using TV speedtest

Test against:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 819 kbps (102.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 60 kbps (7.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 952 ms

01 February 2010 15:01:17

from UK based speedtest

Speed Test Results

Date 01/02/10 07:09:04 Speed Down 695.52 Kbps ( 0.7 Mbps ) Speed Up 125.23 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps ) Port 8095 Server speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com

speakeasy speedtest

to New york

Last Result:

Download Speed: 761 kbps (95.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 61 kbps (7.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

to LA

Last Result:

Download Speed: 706 kbps (88.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 64 kbps (8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Edited by timekeeper

Since 3G is a bit of a bust in LoS at the moment, what's the best deal/modem at the moment? I am a long time AIS pay-as-u-go customer and have used that for EDGE/GPRS via my Nokia cellphone when between wifi zones. I have seen GPRS/EDGE USB dongles branded with Vodaphone and T-Mobile (who don't operate here) so assume these are unlocked imports*. I had a Hutch CDMA dongle and quite frankly didn't see any great difference between that and my mates AIS GPRS dongle when it came to regular internet stuff here in Pattaya (not a gamer or bitorrenter). Looking for something that can kick along at high data rates nationwide (since Hutch can't).

* Cheaper to get a GPRS/EDGE modem in the UK and bring over here? Are they unlocked?

FYI

Edge (GPRS) Theoretical maximum speed of 238 Kbps, average probably 80 to 150 kbps.

Available both from AIS and Dtac and works pretty much nationwide.

Cheap when you take a package, between 4 and 8 Baht/hour depending on which package.

Hutch, uses the EV-DO system (on the CDMA network) in Pattaya, so theoretical tops peed of 3 Mbps, practically expect between 500 and 1500 Kbps.

Hutch is only available in about 20 odd provinces, including Bangkok and the whole eastern Seaboard region.

However, the fast EV-DO system is only available in Pattaya and a few parts of Bkk. All the rest is still CDMA 1X with a topspeed of around 160 kbps...

Around 1000 Baht/month unlimited, needs expensive dongle.

FYI

Edge (GPRS) Theoretical maximum speed of 238 Kbps, average probably 80 to 150 kbps.

Available both from AIS and Dtac and works pretty much nationwide.

Cheap when you take a package, between 4 and 8 Baht/hour depending on which package.

Hutch, uses the EV-DO system (on the CDMA network) in Pattaya, so theoretical tops peed of 3 Mbps, practically expect between 500 and 1500 Kbps.

Hutch is only available in about 20 odd provinces, including Bangkok and the whole eastern Seaboard region.

However, the fast EV-DO system is only available in Pattaya and a few parts of Bkk. All the rest is still CDMA 1X with a topspeed of around 160 kbps...

Around 1000 Baht/month unlimited, needs expensive dongle.

thanks Monty

that summed up my Hutch set up nicely

i am very happy with my expensive dongle..........

Edited by timekeeper

Thats pretty decent results Timekeeper. How is the coverage of that speed in Pattaya? Does it extend to Jomtien-side too?

i am not in the prime zone, i live 10Kms outside the city

they say i am pretty lucky to get EVDO coverage but the proof of the pudding.........

I went into the Hutch Shop at Pattaya Tai some days ago. a employee there told me that the speed in Jomtien is not too fast, too many users there. I also remember TV Member Thaifan writing that the speed in Jomtien isnt good.

Does anything else use the EV-DO system besides Hutch?

I went into the Hutch Shop at Pattaya Tai some days ago. a employee there told me that the speed in Jomtien is not too fast, too many users there. I also remember TV Member Thaifan writing that the speed in Jomtien isnt good.

I'm in Jomtien right now. In the last 3 weeks I've noticed 2 times where internet was dead slow for about 2 hours each time. Not sure why, it was in the evening and on a weekday, and it wasn't a big deal. I wish the upload speed for Hutch was better. Also when I was in the Pattaya Tai office they said that the dongle is 3G capable and will run on TOT's 3G whenever it's up and running in Pattaya, but who knows when that will happen. Here are my results from Jomtien.

speedtest.net/ Bangkok

710kbps downoad, 70 kbps upload, 412ms ping

speedtest.net/ San Fransisco

680kbps download, 50kbps upload, 836 ping

And to compare with timekeeper's results

speakeasy.net/speedtest/

New York

Last Result:

Download Speed: 571 kbps (71.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 67 kbps (8.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

LA

Last Result:

Download Speed: 662 kbps (82.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 71 kbps (8.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm seeing download speeds usually around 90KB/sec, never drops below 40KB/sec, and upload speeds around 9KB/sec. Using Skype is possible, but it cuts in and out during calls. More like choppy cell phone reception.

My AIS GPRS internet

speedtest.net/ Bangkok

60kbps download, 50 kbps upload, 672 ping

i have ais dongle 3g cost 3400 baht, speed 10-0 kbps crap. compained call centre say not 3g noboy else have problem. wife asked shop why they sell 3g when they not have 3g girl said coming in 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! live out near siam cc

Edited by NALAK

Thats pretty decent results Timekeeper. How is the coverage of that speed in Pattaya? Does it extend to Jomtien-side too?

they say i am pretty lucky to get EVDO coverage but the proof of the pudding.........

I am in a similar situation. I have had my Hutch dongle for about 4 months now and i am very happy with it.

Cheers, Rick

Actually the EV-DO coverage of Hutch in Pattaya is pretty big.

Pattaya center, Naklua, Jomtien, and then pretty much the whole of East Pattaya.

I have friends in Nong Plalai (Pattaya Prison area) using it, all the way up to Huay Yai, with Soi Siam Country club/Lake Mabprachan in the middle. All covered.

Indeed, as with all mobile internet systems, the more users in a small area, the slower the overall speed, so the less densely populated area's in East Pattaya will get better speeds then the densely (condominium) populated city center.

Does anything else use the EV-DO system besides Hutch?

Yes, CAT does, in all the provinces Hutch does not have service.

However, while for voice they have roaming agreements (i.e. Hutch phone will work in CAT coverage and vice versa), they do not have such agreement for data. So Hutch users only get internet in Hutch area's, and CAT users only in CAT coverage.

There are plans to consolidate the whole operation in one company, where (I think, they change idea's every so often :) ) where CAT will own the whole nationwide network, and Hutch will do the marketing. Anybody's guess whenever that might happen though. When (or if) it happens, it'll be the first nationwide 3G network.

i have ais dongle 3g cost 3400 baht, speed 10-0 kbps crap. compained call centre say not 3g noboy else have problem. wife asked shop why they sell 3g when they not have 3g girl said coming in 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! live out near siam cc

Yup, I have seen their 3G "ready" dongles! AIS only has 3G in Chiang Mai, and in the little university city of Bang Saen. I think the 6 months is a tad optimistic as well :)

I am using a Merlin XU870 card for my laptop. very happy with this global wireless broadband HSDPA express card. Use it when in a hotel with expensive or no wifi. Bought it from http://www.edgethailand.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

ask for Tim Walker, he is very helpful in setting it up for you and excellent after sale service.

the great thing is that you can use it in many countries by just buying a local data simcard.

I am using DTAC as per recommendation from Tim Walker.