One 2 Call Sim Card Top Ups

Stekmer

I've been using the same 'One 2 Call' SIM card in my mobile phone for about 3 years. I usually load it up with a recharge card from 7 11 stores when I arrive in Bangkok and the remaining balance (and top up ammount) is extended by 365 days. I also buy an extra recharge card or two to top it up when I'm at home to cover me.

With trips to Thailand every 6 months or so this has been great. I dodn't need to re-enter numbers in the phone and have a mobile phone number to give family at home (Australia). Using 009 rather than 001 made calls back home very cheap.

My current value expires in March 2010 and I thought I'd use a 100 baht top up card to give me another 365 days - but - all I got was an extra 10 days.

From a quick look at the AIS One 2 Call web site I can't see any explanation and there is an error message when I enter my mobile number to get more details.

Does any one know if the 365 days top up period has gone forever?

Is it available on other pre-paid SIM cards from AIS or other providers?

Does the 009 prefix still get cheap calls?

If my SIM card expires before I get to Thailand again in April, can I recharge it after expiry?

Lots of questions .... Thanks in advance :-)

i had a similar experience a few months ago..

But mine was from the first sim card i bought it was only extending to the end of the month or so it seemed as the first two times i had to top up was a a few weeks apart but then i topped up and the credit disappeared when i was checking why it appeared it was the roll over from the last month to the new month..

I went to a phone shop explained the situation and had to buy a 500 baht sim card that gives 1 year from any top up..

You may have to buy a new sim card.

i had a similar experience a few months ago..

But mine was from the first sim card i bought it was only extending to the end of the month or so it seemed as the first two times i had to top up was a a few weeks apart but then i topped up and the credit disappeared when i was checking why it appeared it was the roll over from the last month to the new month..

I went to a phone shop explained the situation and had to buy a 500 baht sim card that gives 1 year from any top up..

You may have to buy a new sim card.

I think that after the one year is up, you are back to the 10 day period for a 100 bht recharge. I think for most of them, this is the situation. You do get some extended time, as you mention, when buying new SIM cards, but not all of them have this, especially if they are of the cheaper variety.

Thanks for the replys ....

Sadly it looks like the days of 12 month extension when you top up the SIM card are over :-(

Looks like I'll need to new SIM for April...... which plan though :)

Any suggestions as to which phone company has the best prepaid plan?

Is the 009 prefix for international calls still available with One 2 Call cards?

I'm on DTAC, you can extend validity for 30 days for 2 baht. Dial *113*[number of days to request extension for]*9#[call button] so just put the the number of days in and you're set. Not sure if there is a limit to how many days at a time you can add, I usually do 60.

Sadly it looks like the days of 12 month extension when you top up the SIM card are over :-(

Didn't know those days ever existed.

Being using 12 call for about 5 years. Maybe it's the plan i'm on, but for me it's always been 300 baht gets you 30 days - 100 baht = 10 days.

my 12 card gives me 1 year everytime I top up for the last 3 + years just checked my "balance check" and good till 1.28.11

Interesting. Must come down to the specific 12 Call package you are on then i guess - i understand there are many and they bring out new ones regularly. All very confusing...

Mine's been 300 for 30 days for years. If you're not going to use your phone for a while and you need to build up validity, I believe the Mao Mao option is pretty reasonable. Thirty baht for 30 days validity effectively (with 30 minutes that you're most likely going to have to junk since you won't be here to use them).

With AIS/One-2-Call every SIM type (there are ~ 6 or so) and calling plan (there are ~ 15 or so at any given time) all have different terms and conditions, including validity and top-up amount and associated validity. Further you can only have 365 days maximum validity. Many people top-up regularly and even though they might top-up for 300 baht and get only 30 days, as long as their existing validity was more than 335 days they would end up with 365 days. The important thing is to determine the type of SIM you have and which calling plan you have, then you can figure out the best options for your calling and travel patterns. You can call *777 to get into the Promotions IVR system which will help you identify your calling plan and change it if you want. You can also contact AIS (dial 1175 from your mobile, or 02 271 9000 or +6622719000 or email: [email protected]) as they are very responsive and can answer your specific questions or make recommendations for your specific situation.

This link has a link to a table showing the differing 'validities' by calling plan.

4. How many validity days earned via Refill on Mobile?

Click here to view Validity Period & Top Up Denomination table

Some/all calling plans may have usage requirements. So you may have 365 days validity but you do need some activity on the account every 30 days. An outbound call, or a top-up to keep the number active during the validity period.

You can check the CAT 009 and TOT 008 rates for those countries you want to call. TOT 008 is currently 3 baht/min to the U.S.A. through April 2010.

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for the replies .... I'm starting to wonder if it could be topping it up from Australia that gave me 10 days instead of the usual 365 days. I'm positive I always got an extension of any balance for 365 days from the date of top up.

Perhaps it might only be possible to get 365 days when topping it up in Thailand??

I thought I had done it before but perhaps not.

Any idea how long a SIM remains valid for after the baht balance expires??

Any idea how long a SIM remains valid for after the baht balance expires??

You mean the validity right, not the balance? From memory, with 50 baht AIS SIMs I've bought for people dropping in and out of the country, you get something like 7 or maybe 14 days to top up after the date of expiry to reinstate the balance (if any) on the card. Once this period has passed, you're given something like another 30 days to top up (you won't get any balance reinstated) before you lose the number and the SIM is cancelled. So over a month in total basically.