Jung Loiea

zenbangkok

:o Hello I am slowly learning Thai, can read now :D

Anyway I tried to look up on transliteration dictionaries but i am sure everyone is aware it is very hard to hear a Thai word and then try to look it up.

I am sure I knew this and then forgot. I keep hearing Jung Loy-a. I thinking it adds emphasis to a point, i.e to say very much,but i am also thinking it sounds like it means something that has already happened? can somebody please help?

Also downloaded some Thai karaoke to practise my reading (before i buy some children's books to practise with). You could never find the meaning of words by using the phonetic sound that is put on the words in Romanised characters. Anyway may sound like a strange question but in music surely there must be some poetic license with tones and pronounciations to make a song sound good? Was just sat pondering this, surely in Thai songs the singers must bend the words somewhat :D , chai mai?

But I always thought it was more Isaan than Bangkok Thai - an Isaan version of "Maak maak".

I think I've heard it more in Bangkok than anywhere else :o

The explanations in the two links you posted are correct, I'd just like to add that as it means "Soooooo much!" it's used in an informal setting, and often used by the younger ladies to coo over something.

(ex. seeing a tiny little kitten, a girl exclaims "อุ๊ย น่ารักจังเลย!" = "oh, it's so cuuuuute!",

or a couple of girls, upon seeing an extremely handsome guy, "เฮ้ย หล่อจังเลย!" = "Ohmigod, that guy is just sooooooo cute!")

It's not a very masculine expression; if a guy's not careful with it he might end up sounding kinda gay :D

Thanks all, it is reassuring that the Thai language is slowly unfolding it secrets to me. I shall make a note not to get carried away with 'jung loiyering' everything, will leave it to the ladies. :o

Nobody commented on the side topic of songs, aah well.

อีหลี is what you stick in after eating and you are over full or it was very very tasty (saap illee)

หลาย ๆ -- kin lai lai (kin mut) ate it all!!

Edited by bina

อีหลี is what you stick in after eating and you are over full or it was very very tasty (saap illee)

หลาย ๆ -- kin lai lai (kin mut) ate it all!!

อีหลี means very much, not only for food.

หลาย ๆ kin lai lai , gin hai moht.

Sorry I can't use the Thai script right now.

Another Isaarn one I hear is " im kak ee lee der" meaning really full.

Great, I have often wondered the reason why my wife calls my daughter Kitty jung loei

Now I have a better understanding.

SiameseKitty, my daughters name is Kitty too :o

Thanks all, it is reassuring that the Thai language is slowly unfolding it secrets to me.  I shall make a note not to get carried away with 'jung loiyering' everything, will leave it to the ladies. :o

Nobody commented on the side topic of songs, aah well.

Yes they is a certain amount of poetic licence in all songs...not just Thai ones and some 'bending' of words so that the meaning can be put across within the framework of the music.

I have found that translating songs from tapes is easier as I can rewind them to hear lines over again till I am sure of the pronounciation of words, I then write this down in english as to how I hear it and then read it back....any words I am unsure of then gets looked up in the dictionary looking at all variations of spelling.

The correctness of karaoke tapes or any Thai words depends on who does the transliteration and also on how you read it. Here you see many different forms of writing a single Thai word in english. Each person swears his is more correct than others, That is because we all hear sounds slightly differently.

Edited by gburns57au

My take on this is that to sound less feminine, leave out one of the two words. Eg. วันนี้ร้อนจัง or วันนี้ร้อนเลย (Today is awfully hot).

But don't exagerrate the เลย. Keep it short. You could also add a วะ to the end just for good measure. :o

• 2 weeks later...
The closest translation is 'really'

Rak khun jung loei -as you spell it. Means I really love you.

Yep, closely to 'really'. We saw a lovely baby there, one might say 'Ui narak jung loei a...dek khon naan. I am cold. ( YOu might say to your sweety) 'Naow Jung loei a...or Phee naow jung loei a. Nong naow jung loei a. She might waiting for your warm hug... :o

Aroy jung loei a... :D

Have a look at these two explanations:

http://www.thai-language.com/id/200795

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/32645.html

But I always thought it was more Isaan than Bangkok Thai - an Isaan version of "Maak maak".

It's just standard Thai AFAIK, Isaan equivalents are หลาย, หลายๆ or อีหลี :D

Hey Mike, I can't find the last one in your web site dictionary! :o:D

According to the missus Jung Loiea virtually means "well played / well done / very good" depending on the context it's used in.

It is just an intensifier for whatever verb or adjective you place in front of it, so your missus may have misinterpreted a little bit.

dee jang (loei) = great! fantastic! (dee meaning "good")

yae jang (loei) = terrible! that really sucks! (yae meaning "bad")

naa rak jang (loei) = (she, he, it, that) is so cute! / you are so sweet! (context decides)

geng jang (loei) = that's really clever! well done! (geng - clever, skillful)

The "-a" at the end of "jang loei-a" is a spoken language particle with no meaning, and in my eyes makes the statement sound a little daft. There is no need to add this in your own speech - especially if you are male.

RDN

what is with the red X  - does this mean your mum brought you 6 jars of marmite, and you have eaten one ???

Yes, 1 down, 5 to go :D . But not from my mum, bless her, but a very very dear and much loved acquaintance (who I've never actually met :o ).

I hope to rework the avatar in a few weeks. :D

The "-a" at the end of "jang loei-a" is a spoken language particle with no meaning, and in my eyes makes the statement sound a little daft. There is no need to add this in your own speech - especially if you are male.
I'm not so sure about this. I've heard both males and females say this equally. It's basically a particle you can add to the end of most sentences, mostly questions I've noticed, especially ทำไม or ไปไหน. It's informal, but I wouldn't say low class or daft, whatever you mean by that.

Have you seen that ad on tv where the beagle fetches a red ball and comes back to the guy on the beach but drops dead at his feet and the guy picks it up and says: "ทำไมอะ"? He's wondering what the he11 has happened to his dog. Nothing daft about that.

I'm not so sure about this. I've heard both males and females say this equally. It's basically a particle you can add to the end of most sentences, mostly questions I've noticed, especially ทำไม or ไปไหน. It's informal, but I wouldn't say low class or daft, whatever you mean by that.

Have you seen that ad on tv where the beagle fetches a red ball and comes back to the guy on the beach but drops dead at his feet and the guy picks it up and says: "ทำไมอะ"? He's wondering what the he11 has happened to his dog. Nothing daft about that.

I never said anything about low class. Upper class girls use it as well. I know men also use it to some extent, but it is not the kind of particle you would expect from an older man, or the macho type. I have seen the ad you are talking about though - he does not strike me as particularly bright though.

In my ears the "-a" gives the utterance a younger and more feminine flavour than just leaving it out. Excessive copying of more or less unneccessary speech habits sounds funny or weird. It is the same thing when non-native English speakers copy fashion words in English, such as "like" or "innit".

If you think it adds something to an utterance, could you explain what? Could be I am wrong.

Actually I don't know what it adds to any utterance, if anything at all. I guess it softens the tone a bit. I wouldn't go so far as agreeing that it gives the utterance a more feminine flavour. Maybe it's a regional thing but I've heard men down here above 40 who are definitely not the feminine type use it often. I've also heard some fairly non-feminine women use it too!