Decent Bicycle Locks

eek

I use a heavy duty thick chain on my rented scooter, which used to belong to my bicycle. Need a replacement lock as lending it to a friend.

I couldnt find a steel u-lock today, so bought these two options.

Which one would you say is best (if you can tell)? Both as good as each other? Or both pretty useless?!

If the pics are not enough indication of size etc, let me know.

Thank you.

post-33493-1264946577_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1264946596_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1264946613_thumb.jpg

Chain is better, you can hold the other lock with your hand while you use a hacksaw to cut through it and its easier for the hacksaw to get a bite.

The chain needs to be 'gripped' per cut link with vice grips and harder for a hacksaw to bite.

The chain will also be noisier and therefore attract attention, if someone tries to cut it.

I'd go to one of those mom & pop shops and get a thicker chain though, the chain i use (8/10 centimeter metal thickness) requires a bolt cutter with a 4 foot handle to cut through it, not portable. The one in your picture can be cut with 2.5 foot bolt cutters -portable

Also go for a 'SOLEX' brand lock, make sure its not 'SOLO'...the lock you have pictured can be shimmed open by using the sheet metal from a coke can and sliding it down the U-shaft.

Also go for a 'SOLEX' brand lock, make sure its not 'SOLO'...the lock you have pictured can be shimmed open by using the sheet metal from a coke can and sliding it down the U-shaft.

OMG, seriously?! Scary stuff! I bought it as the wording sounded good (double locking system, Hardened shackle, Drop hole). Wah.

Thanks so much for your recommendations Powerband.

Wow, seems you're quite the expert on breaking cheap locks... :)

To the OP- recommend you stop wasting time and money on cheap easy to break bicycle locks and invest in a quality lock/alarm such as a Xena lock-

081129-0000344.jpg

Petty thieves won't easily break it and with it's built in 110Db alarm it'll make a lot of noise if they try.

The lock pictured above is available at Red Baron for 1,480฿ and Panda Rider has many different models to choose from.

Ride On!

Tony

ps- just noticed you're in CNX. Check Fastcorner (ground floor of Chiang Mai Pantip Mall) I believe they have Xena locks for sale.

If not I'd be happy to send you one from Bangkok.

T

Edited by BigBikeBKK

The xena lock's alarm can be defeated with a rubber band and a sock wrapped around it dropping the sound to less than half, make the sock wet first and the sound will frther dissipate. Personally Id drip super glue down the siren hole and kill the speaker.

If i was more industrious i would take off the front brake caliper and just drive off with the xena lock spinning.

With a chain and lock you can chain the bike to a pole,fence or whatever cant be moved.

You can even use the chain to beat BigBikeBKK over the head if he tries to pick you up in a bar and won't take no for an answer.

The xena lock's alarm can be defeated with a rubber band and a sock wrapped around it dropping the sound to less than half, make the sock wet first and the sound will frther dissipate. Personally Id drip super glue down the siren hole and kill the speaker.

If i was more industrious i would take off the front brake caliper and just drive off with the xena lock spinning.

With a chain and lock you can chain the bike to a pole,fence or whatever cant be moved.

You can even use the chain to beat BigBikeBKK over the head if he tries to pick you up in a bar and won't take no for an answer.

Some clever folks combine a chain with a Xena lock, using the Xena lock to lock the chain to a stationary object. This gives the added security of an audible alarm if some lowlife like Powerband comes along to try and mess with your ride. Sure, there's always a way to beat any lock, but Powerband is the first lowlife I've ever heard of that goes thieving with a tube of super glue and a wet sock in his pocket... :)

But Gunga. Thats the point in trying to get hardened steel. It needs to be cut with a disc NOT just a short handled bolt cutter like they use at homepro (and you can buy for about 300b)

I have the Xena disc alarm and its good. Actually Tony got it for me :)

Some clever folks combine a chain with a Xena lock, using the Xena lock to lock the chain to a stationary object. This gives the added security of an audible alarm if some lowlife like Powerband comes along to try and mess with your ride. Sure, there's always a way to beat any lock, but Powerband is the first lowlife I've ever heard of that goes thieving with a tube of super glue and a wet sock in his pocket... :)

Whats wrong with giving real facts?...if i ran into your bike i wouldn't carry a wet sock, i'd just piss on it then spell out powerband on the ground so you knew it was me....and superglue your ignition keyhole shut of course.

I might even go as far as supergluing your throttle in place. I wouldn't mess with your brakes though, don't worry.

lowlife..? how'd ya' know?

How'd you get the xena to attach to a chain, i might even buy one if its possible? wanna sell me one so i can try?...where's your shop?..i mean you do have a shop right?...i could've sworn you had a shop...

Watch this and weep if you paid top dollar for chain.

My Abus doesn't look so good now. :)

I couldnt remember the name of the lock and chain I bought but it was 5000 odd baht in the UK. NOW I know, it was the one in this commercial ALMAX it weighs a ton 16mm thick link uncuttable with croppers apparently.

Ok, so just to clarify...

I need some heavy duty 5k or so chain, attach it to a xena, then attach those to a pole, fastened with a seriously weighty lock. Then, superglue the whole lot together, and cover the lock with a sock (preferably wet). Pee around the area to mark out my territory, and lastly attach a large and frightening dog to the bicycle because someone may be carrying any kind of heavy duty bolt cutters or a disc. Nobody suggested hiring a security guard to snooze beside my bike as added protection. Maybe i can hook him up to the whole ensemble as well.

Man...I wonder if my friend will even want to borrow the bike after i give her the theft prevention tips.

:)

Watch this and weep if you paid top dollar for chain.

My Abus doesn't look so good now. :)

I couldnt remember the name of the lock and chain I bought but it was 5000 odd baht in the UK. NOW I know, it was the one in this commercial ALMAX it weighs a ton 16mm thick link uncuttable with croppers apparently.

:D Did you bring it to Thailand?

16mm.... they use that on aircraft carrier anchors, don't they? :D

Ok, so just to clarify...

I need some heavy duty 5k or so chain, attach it to a xena, then attach those to a pole, fastened with a seriously weighty lock. Then, superglue the whole lot together, and cover the lock with a sock (preferably wet). Pee around the area to mark out my territory, and lastly attach a large and frightening dog to the bicycle because someone may be carrying any kind of heavy duty bolt cutters or a disc. Nobody suggested hiring a security guard to snooze beside my bike as added protection. Maybe i can hook him up to the whole ensemble as well.

Man...I wonder if my friend will even want to borrow the bike after i give her the theft prevention tips.

:D

You forgot the rubber band...geez, you try to help some people...and they just never learn... :)

Throw a padlock through the front brake disc and call it a day...a sticker that says police on it, and a police helmet works wonders also...

Wow, seems you're quite the expert on breaking cheap locks... :)

To the OP- recommend you stop wasting time and money on cheap easy to break bicycle locks and invest in a quality lock/alarm such as a Xena lock-

081129-0000344.jpg

Petty thieves won't easily break it and with it's built in 110Db alarm it'll make a lot of noise if they try.

The lock pictured above is available at Red Baron for 1,480฿ and Panda Rider has many different models to choose from.

Ride On!

Tony

ps- just noticed you're in CNX. Check Fastcorner (ground floor of Chiang Mai Pantip Mall) I believe they have Xena locks for sale.

If not I'd be happy to send you one from Bangkok.

T

Get this from www.pandarider.com it's the best and I purchase a lot of gear from there. Most new bikes have front and rear disc brakes and if not the alarm will wake all around and alert all in the shopping centre. :D

correction: i'd superglue your throttle stuck in the wide open position...but don't worry i wouldn't mess with your brakes.

PB,

what's your take on 15mm & 20mm vinyl covered, multi strand, cable?

Lighter than chain and still a good visible deterrent?

I've written to Masterlock.com to see if they can supply longer lengths of looped cable like this.

post-53559-1265598346_thumb.jpg

My nearest fixed object at home is a boundary wall with vents, no pillars.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for one of these Xena XZZ6L alarms, I'm in Pinklao so SF racing seems to be my closest distributor of the alarms, does anybody know anywhere else near me who may supply these?

I bought a good quality disklock with built in alarm at the bike show in January. Pretty sure it was Panda that I bought it from.

I'm looking for one of these Xena XZZ6L alarms, I'm in Pinklao so SF racing seems to be my closest distributor of the alarms, does anybody know anywhere else near me who may supply these?

We've got the Xena XZZ6L alarms in stock here at Sumet. Shipping is available. Send me a message if interested. Thanks.

Brian

We've got the Xena XZZ6L alarms in stock here at Sumet. Shipping is available. Send me a message if interested. Thanks.

Brian

Brian, I'm interested in one, more as a deterrent to would be touch & sit types. Nothing like a110+ db's to freak youyr day out.