Please Help- Thailand Virgins!

superhaz

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll go to the Andaman Coast and try it down there, and if the weather's too wet I can just go to the Gulf islands sooner.

Any suggestions about Angkor Wat? Heard people make it a 4 day round trip. Is that necessary to really appreciate it, or can I justify a flying visit? Is there a standard route people follow from Bangkok?

How about the NE, particularly Nong Khai? Does the rain effect travelling up there too much to make it worthwhile?

Sure it'll all become clear once I get in country. Off tomorrow!biggrin.gif

Thanks again,

Tricky

hi,

it's really not that wet here, don't worry about it - just wear some suitable footwear if your trekking .

non khai is just a small town where you can cross to laos , laos is great if you have a spare week to travel upto lamprabang etc. non khai is place where people pop accross border to renew visa for thailand.

cambodia is ok for a week - the temples at ankor wat are more ancient style - and a couple of days around siam reap you can see all you need to see - you can get a tour from bangkok etc - or can fly to phnom penn the capital and travel through to siam reap on bus if you wanna see cambodia - i was in and out in 4-5 days was good if you keep busy.

laos is much more beatutiful than cambodia but if your into temples then ankor wat is good couple of days.

south of thailand is more touristy so a bit more expensive.

bangkok is fine for couple of days but there's better else where.

easy to travel around and i wouldn't recommend pre-booking any accomodation except for maybe if you want something specific on kopanyan around the full moon time - there's loads of places to book travel can book boat and bus combination at guest houses and smaller travel agent type shops just shop around a bit or check on forums to make sure your not paying over the odds, you can also get train from bkk to chiang mai that's gud night train 700 baht if goto train station or can simply pay a quid or two extra and buy from travel shop/guest house .

i travelled around for while and had wicked time so ask any questions and i can recommend best for you.

hello is sawadee and thank you is capun kap.

There is a bus on the ground floor of BKK, 120bht (ish) to Koe San road, plenty of hotels about 600-800bht a night (choose one with a swimming pool). Insist on seeing the room before paying any cash.

Krabi is just about the most scenic place in the world, miss anywhere except Krabi, 500bht a night (ish)

BKK to Chiangmai 2000bht by air, 600bht by overnight bus. I quite like either but not the white persons backpacker bus, use the THAI VIP bus, much nicer.

ChiangMai fan room, 250bht a night, aircon 500bht .... Top North guest House in MoonMung Soi 2 has a nice pool but the rooms are a little 'tired'.

Not much at ChaingRai unless you are a backpacker, CM has the same stuff but 10x the size.

You can get bus and ferry to Ko Chang from BKK.

You could always stop off at Pattaya and 'find' a 'travelling companion'.

Your first paragraph is very good advice, however the last sentence maybe a very expensive option.

Sarahsbloke you may turn this Thailand virgin into a bitter and twisted TV member. BEWARE::o:D

Edited by Scully

Angkor Wat is definitely worth seeing, and it's probably best to spend two days doing so. I thinnk they have 2 and 3 day passes available. If you don't know much about it and don't do any research, a guide with a car is a good idea because thre are bits and pieces remote from each other, i.e., if you want to see the Bayon, etc..

If you go it alone, you'll need a motorcycle/bike to get around between sites.

The problem with spending a couple of days there, but you can't effectively do it in less, is that you suffer from information overload, and forget most of what you're told by the guide.

if your in siam reap and want to look around the temples - you'll look on the maps and it will look far and a lot of travelling between the sites but in practice they are close and a bycicle is fine - or you can get a taxi driver to take you around the sites . as i say the maps are drawn to make it look like a massive ordeal and a tour is needed.

it also depends where your hotel is located in the city - ankor wat and the 5 or 6 other good temples are located at one edge of the city, i think also you need to collect a ticket to enter the whole area.

i'd say the temples around ankor wat are less than 5 mins drive appart. some right next to each other there's also another area where there's temples etc but i didn't goto those - maybe they are an hour out side the city ?

All the booking agents add about 20 percent to cost of everytinng.

Example

Book a hotel room through an agent 600bht, book at hotel reception 500bht

After living here for 14 years and traveling around 75 provinces, I am seldom able to get better hotel rates .. even with help from Thai friends .. than booking through Sawadee.com. The reason .. contracts.