Extension To Stay Based On Marriage To Thai

I am a male UK citizen. I entered Thailand in march 2008 on an O/A visa based on retirement that I obtained from the Thai Embassy in London. Just before this visa was due to expire I visited Singapore and on my return my passport was stamped giving me permission to stay in Thailand for a further year. This permission to stay expires in March.

As I am now married (Legally) to a Thai citizen I wish to apply for a further 1 year extension to stay in Thailand based on my supporting my Thai wife. In November 2009 I transferred 500,000 Thai Baht from my UK bank account to my Thai Bank account, so I can show that I have at least 400,000 Baht in my Thai Bank account, and that it has been there for over 3 months. I also have, and can prove, an income from UK investments that amounts to somewhat over 50,000 per month.

From my perusal of the Thai Immigration websites, I know that i will need to produce the following documentation :

1. Immigration Form 7

2. Copy of passport

3. A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

4. A 1,900 baht application fee

5. Marriage Certificate

6. Birth Certificate (if any)

7. Financial evidence showing financial status of the husband

1. Bank account pass-book, personal bank statement of the account owner.

2. Evidence indicating income along with related documents. If receiving pension, a document of pension payment certified by the embassy or consulate of the country that pays pension is needed.

3. In case of working in Thailand, Work permit and evidence of tax payment are required.

8. Documents indicating Thai nationality or permanent residence of the wife such as identification card (ID), census registration address / residence identification, or passport (in case that the wife is a permanent resident)

9. A record of interviewing the applicant and his wife.

10. Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.

11. Evidence certified by the applicant's embassy or consulate showing the applicant's marital status.

12. The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents from the applicant if necessary.

And that my wife and I will also need to produce :

1. House register and identification card of wife

2. Birth certificate of children (if any)

3. Interview record of applicant and wife

4. Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.

5. Financial documentation:

- Bank statement and copy of bank account showing at least 400,000.- Baht deposit

- Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht.

However, I have heard that I will also need to produce photographs of my wife and I taken at her house, where we both live, and perhaps other supporting evidence. What form does this evidence usually take? For instance, one friend told me that I would need a copy of the page of the book that our marriage was recorded in at the local Amphur, It this so?

I also remain slightly unclear about some of the items listed above, specifically items 9/3 and 11

9 / 3. Interview record of applicant and wife : Where do we get this? Or is this interview purformed at the time of my application for the extension to stay based on marriage?

11. Evidence certified by the applicant's embassy or consulate showing the applicant's marital status. Does this mean that I have to take our marriage documentation to the UK embassy and get it all certified, or does this refer to certified documentation proving that I was legally divorced from my previous wife and legally qualified to marry my Thai wife?

As I can show my Thai bank book confirming the fact that I have over 400,000 Baht on deposit, is it really important to go to the UK embassy and obtain a letter confirming that I have income from investments amounting to at least 50,000 per month ?

The UK Embassy charges a fairly large sum to produce this comfirmation letter, and I don't want to fork out for it unless it is really required.

If I have missed any required documentation from the list, please could you tell me what else I need. I really want to have all my ducks in a row for this application, but I don't want to pay a visa agency to prepare an application that I can do myself. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I will be making this application at the Samut Prakan Immigration office. I will visit this office in one weeks time to do my final 90 day report under my current permission to stay. I will ask them exactly what they require, and exactly when I should submit my application.

You will need.

Marriage Certificate, Maybe the marriage registration document. Some do some do not. Wife's ID Card and Tabbien Baan. Your Passport.Letter from your bank showing the balance . Up to date bank book showing the same balance. Photo's of you and your Wife in and around the house. A map showing the way to your house. Take your Wife to be interviewed and sign an affidafid.

One or two signed copies of the above. Take 2 to be sure.

Passport size photo and 1,900 Baht fee.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in 30 days and get the remainder.

Don't confuse the issue with all the other stuff you mentioned.

They just want to be sure you are really married and have the funds [400KBaht] to support her.

You do not need both the 50K income and 400K cash. The 400K cash is sufficient.

It seems like a lot of information and it is a pain the first time, but the fact is they can reject you

if you are missing anything.

Stay clam, follow the rules and you will get the extension eventually.

Be prepared for a one month wait [with a temp extension] as the do that with all marriage extensions.

Take the pictures at your home as they request.

If you have kids, bring one or more with you to establish the reality of your union.

Bankbook is not enough for them for some reason. You just need a letter from the bank, a few days

before stating your funds amount and that it has been there for 3 months or more. Bank fee will be 100-200baht.

You will get thru it. So don't stress out too much.

Good luck

Edited by paulfr

Ive just again applied for my One year Visa extension based on marriage to a Thai , this is my 6th year I have renewed it and this is a list of what I had to submit ...this time.

1. 2 x TM7 application forms

2. My passport and 2 photo copy's

3. Two Passport size photos

4. A letter form my bank confirming that I currently had in excess of 400,000 Baht ( 3 Month's )

5. My bank book plus 2 photo copy's .

6. My wife's Blue house book and 2 photocopy's

7. My wife's ID card and 2 photo copy's

8. Our original marriage certificate and 2 photo copy's

9. 2 photographs showing my self and my wife out side our house , with the house number in the shot

10. 2 photographs showing my self and my wife in side our house together .

11. 2 hand drawn maps showing directions to our house.

My wife was asked to fill in an extra form that she was given by the Immigration officer , which was completely

in Thai , a list of questions , including when and where did we originally meet . I went with all the above forms

all ready filled in ( not signed as they want to see you sign them there ) all neatly clipped together in separate

sections. The Immigration officer commented that it was very helpful to have the paper work all ready filled in

and sorted beforehand .

TL

Note that for an extension of stay a letter from the embassy confirming an income of more than 40,000 baht is more than enough. The rule is an income of 40,000 OR 400,000 in a bank acount in Thailand for 2 months.

Little important detail, I could not read on earlier post .... If you use the 400K option, the bank account - whatever its type - has to be ONLY yours, not a joint one with your wife.

Edited by DTiger

Many Thanks Guys... I really appreciate your excellent advice. I had forgotten to mention that I was a bit worried about the timescale of the application, given that they would take 30 days to approve it, but if they grant a 30 day temporary extension for this purpose, then that's solved that worry.

Phew...

:)

What I do is have a visa account with the said 400,000 Baht in. My company pension goes into a joint account. It doesn't however stop them pissing me about, each office seems to make it up as the go along. :)

They might try to get you to apply for the extension for retirement. It's less paperwork for them. It requires either 800k in the bank or 65k monthly income.

If you only show them a bank account with less then 800k in it, you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks for pointing that out TerryLH.

I have two points there: Since the dam_n financial crisis, my monthly income from investments has dropped below the 65,000 Baht per month that I would need to renew my retirement visa... If the financial situation perks up, and if the exchange rate becomes more fovourable, that might change, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

The second point is that my wife has a seven year old daughter from a previous relationship. (The Thai father pushed off back to his wife after my wife became pregnant by him. This was five years before I met my wife). I've been the only effective father the little girl has ever known. I adore her, and I think she loves having me as her Dad. I enquired about officially adopting her last year, ( What they call an "In Family" adoption), but was told by the adoption agency that they would only consider my application after I had changed my retirement visa into a Marriage visa. ( Or permission to stay, as it really is). As I want to apply again, I really need an extension of stay based on Marriage, not retirement. Should (may the gods forbid) anything happen to my wife, I would want to look after the little girl, whom I now regard as our daughter. The great likelyhood is that I will die before my wife, but prudence dictates that I plan for the worst so that we can enjoy the best without worry.

Ive just again applied for my One year Visa extension based on marriage to a Thai , this is my 6th year I have renewed it and this is a list of what I had to submit ...this time.

4. A letter form my bank confirming that I currently had in excess of 400,000 Baht ( 3 Month's )

9. 2 photographs showing my self and my wife out side our house , with the house number in the shot

My wife was asked to fill in an extra form that she was given by the Immigration officer , which was completely

in Thai , a list of questions , including when and where did we originally meet . I went with all the above forms

all ready filled in ( not signed as they want to see you sign them there ) all neatly clipped together in separate

sections. The Immigration officer commented that it was very helpful to have the paper work all ready filled in

and sorted beforehand .

TL

First of all great info.

I am due to renew my permission of stay for a further year which is due on the 11th Feb (my address notification is the 22nd Feb). My question is that in my passport I have the stamp which says that I must leave the Kingdom before this date etc etc etc.

My questions are can I renew my permission of stay without going out of the country? If yes, can I do this at the new Patumwan office or do I have to go to the new Government complex at Cheang Wattana?

I am wanting to do this on Friday with my wife and maybe our Daughter.

Thanks

No. You have to make your application before the expiry of your permision to stay which should be 11th Feb. Always better to do a month early in case of problems, but Friday will be OK.

You will still have to make your 90 day address report on 22nd Feb +/- 7days.

it is so much hassle getting a "marriage" visa that if you can qualify for a retirement visa it is so much easier and more secure. Whilst they may change the requirements for "marriage" visas they are unlikely to do so for retirement visas. Many Farangs marry Thais in order to stay here. So called "marriages of convenience" Also some work illegally too. It is no wonder the immigration department wants to check these kind of people. They could easily make it much harder to get a marriage visa and increase financial requirements.

it is so much hassle getting a "marriage" visa that if you can qualify for a retirement visa it is so much easier and more secure. Whilst they may change the requirements for "marriage" visas they are unlikely to do so for retirement visas. Many Farangs marry Thais in order to stay here. So called "marriages of convenience" Also some work illegally too. It is no wonder the immigration department wants to check these kind of people. They could easily make it much harder to get a marriage visa and increase financial requirements.

I haven't seen anyone being denied for a fake marriage. All people I know that are married to a Thai have real marriages, not one for immigration purposes so they can stay in Thailand.

• 2 months later...

Hello ThaiLife,

Why do you need 2 copies of everything? Has the rules changed again? Last year I give one set of photo-copies of the documents plus photos.

ant

and sorted beforehand .

TL